Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 09:39 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

If white racists flipped to GOP, then why is there no push by GOP for slavery, segregation, lynching, Jim Crow, etc.

Liberals cannot specify the carrot that lured the white racists to the GOP party because there are no racist policies being pushed by GOP.

The truth is, as the south became more middle class and educated as transplants move in, it shifted to the GOP. That is why Nixon was able to win the Carolinas, TN and Virginia in 1968 but racist Democrat George Wallace won the 'deep south' states. There were more transplants in these upper south states.

The Democrat party only shifted on white racism when support for it died out and GOP had defeated them on it. They could no longer win with white racism, and they changed their strategy to stay viable as a party.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
LOL. While I know intelligent people dont buy your nonsense, Im hoping you yourself are not silly enough to actually believe it. While I have no doubt there are racist liberals, it was conservatives who fought against civil rights for blacks. But then I have had conservatives try to convince me that the South was actually in the process of educating the slaves to free them with the proper training to survive, so who knows what nonsense conservative apologists can come up with.

Humorous post though.
As soon as somebody leads with "how intelligent they are" it instantly goes in the progressive liberal ignore file.

I find it humorous how you people have to keep telling yourselves, and everyone else, how smart you are. THAT is a sign of insecurity.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I love how liberals try to define conservative as racist. THat's all politics and trying to hang your party's racist history on the GOP. THis idea that the racist Democrats back in the day voting for leftwing politicians like FDR were conservatives is so absurd. You try to act like liberals can't be racist.

The Democrat party still uses race to win elections. That has never changed. It just targets minorities now rather than white people.

Im not a liberal or a Dem, and didnt vote for Hil. In fact, I vote GOP more than Dem. But Im honest with myself and feel no need to tell myself lies to try and explain the bad issues with the conservative past. Others need to try and make themselves feel better about it, and come up with all sorts of nonsense to explain the past conservative opposition to the rights of everyone not a white heterosexual male .

Take your silly stuff to the less educated. They re the only ones dumb enough to believe it.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Im not a liberal or a Dem, and didnt vote for Hil. In fact, I vote GOP more than Dem. But Im honest with myself and feel no need to tell myself lies to try and explain the bad issues with the conservative past. Others need to try and make themselves feel better about it, and come up with all sorts of nonsense to explain the past conservative opposition to the rights of everyone not a white heterosexual male .

Take your silly stuff to the less educated. They re the only ones dumb enough to believe it.
I'm an engineer. All you do is insult because you can't refute my points. It doesn't make sense to describe people who supported FDR type politiicans as conservatives. These were big government politicians. New Deal type policy is not conservative.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I'm an engineer. All you do is insult because you can't refute my points. It doesn't make sense to describe people who supported FDR type politiicans as conservatives. These were big government politicians. New Deal type policy is not conservative.

You have no points to refute. The history of Jim Crow and conservatism is well known. Only revision nitwits are silly enough to accept it.

I mean, seriously, engineer or whatever, do you truly and honestly believe that the conservatives of the 50s and 60s werent the ones fighting against civil rights, while the liberals were? You can say that in complete honesty?

Old 07-03-2017, 09:48 PM

Prior to Obama, most of Democrat candidates for president had been politicians from the south with ties to old south segregationists.

Bill Clinton's mentor was William Fullbright a segregationist. Al Gore's father was a racist who filibustered the Civil Rights Act. Jimmy Carter is from rural Georgia and I read he had ties to segregationists. Lyndon Johnson was from Texas and a huge racist, who had originally opposed civil rights but flipped on it because he saw his party was doomed if they didn't flip.

Meanwhile, the GOP has run guys who had no ties to the old south, Reagan, Nixon, Eisenhower, Dole, Romney, McCain, the Bushes (a northeastern family who relocated to Texas).

The GOP would have never run the son of a segregationist like Al Gore.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:49 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:

Why don't you chew on some facts:

Democratic Party's Racist History | National Review

https://stream.org/a-dishonest-rewri...acist-history/

https://townhall.com/columnists/vict...acism-n2234732

By portraying the Civil War as a purely North/South dispute, Democrats fail to acknowledge their party was a driving force in the Confederacy. Jefferson Davis? Democrat. John C. Calhoun? Democrat. Chief Justice Roger Taney? Democrat.

Succeeding Lincoln was Andrew Johnson, a Tennessee Democrat. In his 1867 congressional address, Johnson described blacks as having “less capacity for government than any other race of people.”

The GOP responded by over-riding Johnson’s veto. How did Democrats respond? They created the Black Codes, which included limiting black individuals to certain jobs, allowing whites to whip their black servants, not allowing blacks to travel freely lest they be labeled “vagrants,” thus being subject to harsh labor or other consequences. Blacks in most southern areas couldn’t serve on juries, and minor crimes such as assault yielded the death penalty for blacks.

Those black codes gave us segregation, whites only, blacks not allowed, back of the bus... and it lasted for 100 years.

Do yourself a big favor and learn the truth!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
You have no points to refute. The history of Jim Crow and conservatism is well known. Only revision nitwits are silly enough to accept it.

I mean, seriously, engineer or whatever, do you truly and honestly believe that the conservatives of the 50s and 60s werent the ones fighting against civil rights, while the liberals were? You can say that in complete honesty?
Again, you as a partisan liberal want to redefine conservative to mean racist and liberal to mean anti-racist. That isn't the definition of liberal and conservative.

As I've pointed out, back in the day, most racist Democrats were New Deal, class envy, big government supporters. That means liberalism and racism are not mutually exclusive.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Why don't you chew on some facts:

Democratic Party's Racist History | National Review

https://stream.org/a-dishonest-rewri...acist-history/

https://townhall.com/columnists/vict...acism-n2234732

By portraying the Civil War as a purely North/South dispute, Democrats fail to acknowledge their party was a driving force in the Confederacy. Jefferson Davis? Democrat. John C. Calhoun? Democrat. Chief Justice Roger Taney? Democrat.

Succeeding Lincoln was Andrew Johnson, a Tennessee Democrat. In his 1867 congressional address, Johnson described blacks as having “less capacity for government than any other race of people.”

The GOP responded by over-riding Johnson’s veto. How did Democrats respond? They created the Black Codes, which included limiting black individuals to certain jobs, allowing whites to whip their black servants, not allowing blacks to travel freely lest they be labeled “vagrants,” thus being subject to harsh labor or other consequences. Blacks in most southern areas couldn’t serve on juries, and minor crimes such as assault yielded the death penalty for blacks.

Those black codes gave us segregation, whites only, blacks not allowed, and it lasted for 100 years.

Do yourself a big favor and learn the truth!

Nice try, but read my posts better. I dont talk about GOP vs Dem, I talked about conservative vs liberals. Southern conservatives switched parties after LBJ " betrayed " them.

Do yourself a big favor and try to be honest, at least with yourself.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:00 PM

It was the GOP in Congress who pushed the civil rights legislation that LBJ eventually signed.

Again, you cannot name any anti-black legislation that has been pushed by GOP since LBJ yet you are saying white racists switched.

If Robert Byrd didn't switch, a man who was in the KKK, why would every white racist switch.

Strom Thurmond was the only racist Democrat that switched and that is because he had to because SC shifted to the GOP with the trasnplants moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies