Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Well, many of suggestions from the Feds so far is to do block grants to the states to run Medicaid etc. If CA can do UHC within the confines of the money they'll get then good for them BUT that's all they're going to get from the Feds.

Given CA's history the odds are it won't happen or if it does it'll go belly up very soon thereafter...

Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, many of suggestions from the Feds so far is to do block grants to the states to run Medicaid etc. If CA can do UHC within the confines of the money they'll get then good for them BUT that's all they're going to get from the Feds.

Given CA's history the odds are it won't happen or if it does it'll go belly up very soon thereafter...

Dem plans always need more, and more, an more, money pumped into them like a pyramid scheme.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:54 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
9.3% income tax plus 0.9% SDI tax after one makes $51,530

https://www.tax-brackets.org/californiataxtable

Compared to zero in Texas and Florida.

California May Face $2 Billion Budget Deficit, Gov. Brown Warns « CBS San Francisco

2 billion dollar deficit already.

Plus, I posted before that if the federal match rate goes from 95% to 50% for ACA insured that would mean the state would have to billions and billions more per year for Medi-Cal costs.

California also depends on lots of for-profit hospitals with high-profit margins. In most of the country is mainly non-profit and county/city hospitals. Not so with California, investor owned high-profit margin hospitals.

Hospital costs in-patient day are already 2.5 times per inpatient day because of excessive nursing wages up to $85 an hour as opposed to $30 in middle-America and it is also expensive because the state has lots and lots of for-profit hospitals as opposed to some states here all hospitals are either non-profit or county/city owned.

Hospital Adjusted Expenses per Inpatient Day | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

I like the proposal, where states can keep Medicaid to 138% poverty level but they would have to pay 25-50% of the cost rather then getting a free ride paid for with federal debt.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I would love to study to their proposals...

California lawmakers introduce single-payer health care plan today
As it should be. There's nothing that prevents States from setting up their own single-payer plans.

There's not much to study, so perhaps you can handle it...

Bill Text - SB-562 Californians For A Healthy California Act.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
No mention on Cali would pay for this.

Here was the relevant part of the article.

One big issue is that the state relies on about $22 billion in federal funding annually to cover private insurance subsidies linked to plans purchased through the state’s health insurance exchange. It also pays for a provision of the law that greatly expanded Medicaid — a health care program for the poor (called Medi-Cal in this state) that is paid for by states and the federal government — to include adults without dependent children. What would happen to those funds is unclear.

California can't even afford to pay for subsidized health insurance, they sure as heck can't afford to pay for all of the state's healthcare.

I bet this will happen right after California secedes. LoL

The OP is always good for a laugh.
Done right much of this goes away as there is no money paid to for profit insurance companies .

I'm not saying they will but forcing people to buy from a for profit company and absolutely nothing was done about the costs was simply wrong.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
As it should be. There's nothing that prevents States from setting up their own single-payer plans.

There's not much to study, so perhaps you can handle it...

Bill Text - SB-562 Californians For A Healthy California Act.
Amendment 69 in Colorado: How much would you pay under ColoradoCare?

Colorado was going to do it and it would have required a 6.66% payroll tax on individuals and 3.33% tax on employers.

It would have been two-thirds individual and one-third company.

Oddly, Colorado with an addtional 6.66% tax on top of 4.63% would only be a percentage higher then California is right now on middle-class income taxes.

California already taxes middle-class at 9.3% income and 0.9% SDI tax which is 10.2%.

So if they were to copy Amendment in Colorado it would mean an extra 6.66%.

Can't imagine how many people in stay in the state then. They already have very high sales taxes and extremely property taxes for new homeowners in the state.

I know that Colorado did lots of studies on it and even with a very healthy population overall it would required in additional 6.66% tax for employees. California has far, far more unhealthy people and the health-care costs are much higher so it would require an even higher income tax increase.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:15 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:

One big issue is that the state relies on about $22 billion in federal funding annually to cover private insurance subsidies linked to plans purchased through the state’s health insurance exchange. It also pays for a provision of the law that greatly expanded Medicaid — a health care program for the poor (called Medi-Cal in this state) that is paid for by states and the federal government — to include adults without dependent children. What would happen to those funds is unclear.

California can't even afford to pay for subsidized health insurance, they sure as heck can't afford to pay for all of the state's healthcare.

It wont happen. California pays out way too much in entitlements as it is. The state exchange is horrible and needs to go.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,718 times
Quote:

Always

Old 02-20-2017, 04:30 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I would love to study to their proposals...

California lawmakers introduce single-payer health care plan today
I will be paying close attention to this as I would like America to have it. If it passes in California I'll start taking that state seriously. If it doesn't they can stuff a sock in their screaming mouths about the federal government being able to offer anything similar as they will feel the pain of it.

I hope it passes. I'll move there in a heart beat, as will a lot of other people. Since they have a pretty open door policy, I'm sure they won't mind a few extras.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:32 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I wish more states would just say **** it and do it themselves. And don't do it via referendum. People are easily corruptible to vote against their own interests. And don't drag your feet CA! That's what Vermont did and look where it got them

It should be funded with federal money if need be. Replace Medicaid funds with it
I wish they would. I wish the republicans would come out with it to replace Obamacare but I'm not holding my breath. I almost died holding it for Obama's promises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies