Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I didn't find it funny because it ignores the fact that burned coal is exactly the issue in our environment. One of them anyway.
I use coal to heat my house and barn. Lots of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 06:34 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We still haven't come up with a viable long-term storage solution for radioactive wastes sitting around in casks, plus the public perception of the devastating impact of a nuclear accident.
In fact we did. It's called the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository.

Many many billions of dollars was spent on it for over a decade, only for it to be scuttled by the Obama Administration and Harry Reid. It didn't fit their agenda.

Had they not interfered, all those dangerous casks would be safely stored under a secured mountain deep underground by now.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Surely good intentions provides a basic level of power production? Right?
Nope, all the enviro-whacko's waving hand made organic hemp fans in front of power gen windmills on those windless days, there's the ticket!

Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
"The bulk of the 100 nuclear reactors currently operating in the U.S., which continue to produce about 20 percent of the nation's energy, are reaching retirement age, and energy market forces don't always favor nuclear."

https://phys.org/news/2016-11-future...nergy.html#jCp

We still haven't come up with a viable long-term storage solution for radioactive wastes sitting around in casks, plus the public perception of the devastating impact of a nuclear accident.

Whether they will be replaced by gas or coal-fired power plants remains to be seen. But this may be the best chance for an uptick in coal mining.
" ...the public perception of the devastating impact of a nuclear accident."

Perhaps "the public" should do some research into when the last "nuclear accident" was in the Navy.
They have been operating reactors aboard ships and submarines since 1953.
How many accidents have they had?

There is very little (if any) "subsidence" in old strip mines. That is mostly in underground mines. the same applies to mine fires.
I once worked for a dirt moving company that had the overburden removal contract at a Wyoming open pit mine. Six feet below the natural surface of the land was a thin seam of "immature coal", a substance somewhere between peat moss and coal, totally useless. When that stuff was dug up, it had to be hauled to the bottom of the mine and buried. Yep, Nature put it six feet deep, but we had to bury it 400 feet deep to comply with the government regulations! the same regulations require that the topsoil and subsoil be piled up separately, so that when reclamation is started, the topsoil is put on top for the best natural regrowth to take place. The reclaimed land is seeded with the natural grasses and shrubs that grew before mankind messed with things.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They are required by law to reclaim the land and need to be bonded for it. In addition to that there is thousands of abandoned mining sites across this country some of which are more than 100 years old; coal, gold, silver, ore etc. It's active coal mining that is funding those recovery efforts.

If you want an analogy here it would be like requiring the big 3 to clean up abandoned car factories from the hundreds of bankrupt companies at the turn of the century. On top of that we we'll also have them pay for cleaning up RR and shipyards.

It's good a good program and one that I support.
Utter nonsense. They aren't "required" to do anything, and any "requirements" remain unenforced. Coal country is deadly--to the land, the animals, and the people. Period.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
I wonder how many pro-coal people on this thread have actually read those articles. I'm guessing: none. They can't take the truth.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:00 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
What did that land look like before?
Lets see...

Land looks great now, AFTER we have used it to greatly benefit our society.

If you want to still complain after that, then your intent is not about the environment, but to promote politics.

By the way, CA is filled with political promotion over the environment while hiding behind the claim to care for the environment. They deal with these "caring" environmentalists yearly with the out of control forest fires (due to restriction of forest management practices), the massive mud slides that follow due to the fires and seasonal rains, and currently... the threatening dam erosion issue in Oroville CA which is a result of both government ineptness and environmental groups suing to stop the construction of a proper secondary spill way years ago.

So excuse me if I don't accept your continued attempt to denounce anything that does not fall into line with the environmentalists political activism. This is what we get with Environmentalism:

But it is ok , you know... because the environmentalist care AND good intentions are all that is needed to see things through!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Nevermind what it looks like. Its a detriment to healthy environments.
I fit hasn't been grown it came out of the ground. Look around your house.... A modern society requires resources, it's as simple as that.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Utter nonsense. They aren't "required" to do anything, and any "requirements" remain unenforced. Coal country is deadly--to the land, the animals, and the people. Period.
You do realize you have been proven wrong already right?

Your response isn't a rebuttal, it is akin to stamping your feet and going "nuh uh!!!".

Maybe bring a bit more to the table than simply telling people they are wrong?

Old 02-21-2017, 08:07 AM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Check again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies