Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 02:08 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, these are true.
I hate to sound like a dick, but can you not read? Immigrants do not make us better people. Period.

I admitted that immigrants produce "economic growth", but this growth doesn't help all classes of Americans. And for some classes of Americans(especially those towards the bottom), they are actually hurt by immigration.

And I specifically stated that the defenders of immigration always use money as a defense. Because there is no other defense.

The reason China might become the largest economy on Earth, is not because their system is good for the "common people". But rather, because it has 1.35 billion people.

The defenders of immigration, are more-or-less arguing that the only way for the United States to remain the largest economy going into the future, is to grow its total population.

And the business-interests would rather to grow the population by impoverished immigrants who will provide cheap labor, than to grow the population through the native population.

Immigration is about politics and corporate profits. And it is hurting a many, or even most Americans. All because of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 02:12 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I hate to sound like a dick, but can you not read? Immigrants do not make us better people. Period.

I admitted that immigrants produce "economic growth", but this growth doesn't help all classes of Americans. And for some classes of Americans(especially those towards the bottom), they are actually hurt by immigration.

So you and you family were the only ever true Americans and never immigrated here,......from anywhere.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

And I specifically stated that the defenders of immigration always use money as a defense. Because there is no other defense.

The reason China might become the largest economy on Earth, is not because their system is good for the "common people". But rather, because it has 1.35 billion people.

The defenders of immigration, are more-or-less arguing that the only way for the United States to remain the largest economy going into the future, is to grow its total population.

And the business-interests would rather to grow the population by impoverished immigrants who will provide cheap labor, than to grow the population through the native population.

Immigration is about politics and corporate profits. And it is hurting a many, or even most Americans. All because of money.
Yes, I can read but thank you for your concern. As I said, humans have notoriously short memories and are uncommonly selfish as evidenced by your statement: "Immigrants do not make us better people. Period." Maybe, just maybe, its not about you or me. Maybe its about them. As it was about our ancestors.

Actually this growth helps lower classes of Americans because it spurs them onto better jobs because immigrants typically do the labor work.

I believe I've stated other defenses such as humanitarianism, community, etc.

The rest of your post is just a retread of every other anti-immigrant bloke who've existed for the millennia.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Except he never said that, can we agree that it doesn't matter what language is used if the words are NOT ever spoken?
It actually appears that Trump didn't say anything inaccurate.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Eu practically needs intervention such as all suicidal people do.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:39 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Best chance for Rs to keep the WH for 8 years would be to replace Trump with Pence and quietly get on with politics as usual.
The "politics as usual" is one of the reasons Trump won.

Any clear headed Trump-voter (yes there were many) looked at Clinton, knew exactly what they would get with Clinton, and decided to take a leap of faith. Voting for a non-politician (particularly a Trump non-politician) was a gamble but Clinton was a predictable, and many Trump voters (including me) found her to be completely (and absolutely) unacceptable. It was now or never. I sensed that. Many sensed that.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that every Trump voter is a mindless, uneducated, partisan, knuckle dragging Neanderthal. I think you're smarter than that. People talk a lot about low information voters. I communicated with many people over the course of the campaign and they were highly engaged in the process. More engaged that I personally have ever seen in the past. Yes, some voted simply because Trump ran on the Republican ticket. But most were like me - understood where the country would go under Clinton and desperately wanted a different direction for the country. They researched the players, they watched the media, they watched the debates, they watched the press conferences, they watched the interviews, they knew the issues. I cannot state strongly enough how informed they were. They went in with eyes wide open - understanding the implications of voting for a non-politician (both the potential risks and the potential rewards).

It's easy (and lazy) to dismiss all of that, as so many have done of this site. Calling us all the names they call us makes them feel better about themselves and about their loss, and I don't know if they think they are hurting us with the name calling, but they're not. Liberals (and the Democrat Party) really (really) do not understand. And that lack of understanding, lack of intellectual curiosity, lack of respect for the process that so many who voted for Trump undertook as they made their decision to vote for him and turn their back on the "more qualified candidate" is going to continue to bite them in the ass.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
It's okay, folks. This was just a regular, small riot. No worries. Sorry your car got trashed, but this wasn't a big riot, so you can just go buy a new one. Yes, there were cars burnt last week, too, but that one was also small. Oh, by the way, you'll need to pay for a new refugee center, since they burned down their last one. But no one died in the fire, so that's okay, too.

Really?
If you can't differentiate between a riot and a whatever vague nonsense the President was saying at that rally?

"We've got to keep our country safe," he said. "You look at what's happening in Germany. You look at what's happening last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this? Sweden. They took in large numbers. They're having problems like they never thought possible...."

Source of quote: Trump's Sweden comment raises questions - CNNPolitics.com

If you never thought a riot was possible, you clearly missed out when just about any Boston sports team wins a championship...

Re the car: Hope it was insured.
Re the refugee center: If I'm not mistaken, I read it was neo-nazis who set fire to the refugee centers, not the refugees themselves.

NOTHING about the reports indicate terrorism or a direct connection to Muslim refugees. As someone else said, most drug dealers aren't refugees since it's typically someone with some local area connections.

Going forward, please note that if you're going to use sarcasm to argue a point, at least be well informed. Otherwise you ruin just the fine art for the rest of us.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:48 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I can't understand why intelligent CD posters don't do a little research themselves in stead of commenting on any article posted be it liberal or conservative.

For those that say it was just a little incident - it was a drug dealer ect.. go to youtube - there are a multitude of videos by Swedish residents about what is actually going on in their country - that the country is indeed softening or hiding so as not to let others know the extent of their problems.

Yes - the police and rescue workers are afraid of certain districts - yes police have been injured by groups of Muslims - please do your own research in the future - but just because I'm nice - here's one for ya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y89-8cNj7PM
The only time research and YouTube go together is if you want to change your brakes yourself or change the battery in your cellphone.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Why ignore the heads of our intelligence agencies who stated publicly and definitely that there was no way to vet these refugees from war torn nations with no infrastructure?

Why ignore ISIS who has already infiltrated the European refugees and has promised to do the same here?

Why ignore many good citizens in our own nation who need the help and attention of both the state and feds, and caring citizens?

Sorry - this is my third straight post in response to you. I promise I'm not stalking you so don't let your head explode (ref: the hand wringing elsewhere in this thread).
Aren't those the same experts that also say that the ban does not make us safer but helps Isis with recruitment.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I agree with this. Pretty sure at some point Trump will do something that makes him untenable in the eyes of the Republican Establishment. At that point the Emoluments, or some other reason will be trumped up to be used against him and Pence will take over.
You have to remember who pence is, he is a huckabee a Santorum, he would get 10-15% on a primary, without someone to keep doing the populist "flash" the 200 jobs here and there, the tough guy America first posturing, it crumbles down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies