Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 11:58 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
It's 20 hours a WEEK in many states.... 24 a MONTH? Must be nice.
It's 20 hrs a week minimu everywhere. It is set by the USDA (FEDERAL) who distributes this to the individual states.

The real problem is....there is no $$ to start working when you are barely getting by.

You need a computer or money for gas to get to the library to apply for a job

You need a few sets of nice clothes to wear to work for the first couple of interviews

You need gas $$ UPFRONT to get to work FOR TWO WHOLE WEEKS. And even then, a problem often delays your first paycheck

You need to be able to get food stamps until your first paycheck, often they are kicked off right when the computer registers they have a job. It's almost realtime now. Then no food in order to work, and the work is usually labor intensive.

Before you get a job, you need to get ahead a little. And they do not provide any $$ so people can actually get a job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 11:58 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm curious as to how she came to the place where she has five kids while making so little?

Did she have a husband with really good pay who died?

What were the circumstances?
She had a husband who left her suddenly. There wasn't any mention of how much he made, though.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I refuse to believe that poverty will always be with us. I am convince there is a thread of future history where the problem of poverty can be solved once and for all.
We can easily solve poverty, but the solution will not be politically correct.

For example, we can have a basic income system providing everybody say $1500 to $2000 a month just because the person is breathing. In exchange, the person must forfeit the right to vote and the right to procreation - either the person must be sterilized or if they have children, the children are immediately put up for adoption.

With that, poverty would be gone very quickly.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:00 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
So you're good with opening your wallet and supporting others because they don't want to work. I'll be the 1st to sign up - please send me directions to your area as I want to be close by so I get the money ASAP.
If the choice is between opening up my wallet for that vs opening up my wallet to put you in jail @ 20x the cost? How is that a hard decision?

Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
She had a husband who left her suddenly. There wasn't any mention of how much he made, though.
In such cases as this, if he isn't paying support, charge him with child endangerment.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I refuse to believe that poverty will always be with us. I am convince there is a thread of future history where the problem of poverty can be solved once and for all.
The history of the world is pretty convincing to me. It would be great if the problem were solved, but when the poorest of the poor keep having huge numbers of babies- how will this be solved? Hope is fine, but where is the substance to it?

Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Seems like a pretty straightforward question. If you are too lazy to work 24 hours a month, are you really going to try to find a job when you're kicked off the benefits wagon, or are you going to look for the quickest and easiest ways to put money in your pocket?
Ahh. What you really want to say is that by kicking them off the public dole, they will become criminals.

I don't think so.

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
I have a problem with financing a president taking vacations every week, using our money to pay for Air Force One to fly him to an ego boosting rally, and also paying for his wife to fly across the country to visit because she's too good to live in the White House. That's what I have an issue with.

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
If the choice is between opening up my wallet for that vs opening up my wallet to put you in jail @ 20x the cost? How is that a hard decision?
I choose to put you in jail as in a long run, it would be cheaper. You can't breed in jail.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:06 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
So Maine's politicians are expecting these people to just sit in their homes and die? Interesting strategy.
One of the funniest posts ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies