Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 10:09 AM

11,618 posts, read 5,664,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Thank you for explaining to all these clueless people what's going on in their own country.
America is a finely-tuned machine, that is set to propel some, and to finish others off - yes it's set this way, and those that think otherwise are just that - clueless.
No one is clueless - but the poster is assuming a lot of things - that the recipients are rural, that they don't have a car ect.... I'm still trying to find out what the qualifications are for the program but have been unable to do so yet.

These suitable volunteer positions may not be at certain facilities but in certain areas - volunteering at a school, SPCA, Salvation Army, church ect...what I'm sure it was meant do dissuade was Joe Blow's uncle saying he volunteered at his place of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 10:12 AM

185 posts, read 168,303 times
So I'm liberal and i know lots of people like to assume that people like me think everyone should get something for nothing, but that's absolutely not true. I've never supported welfare. I believe in hands up, not hands out. So I agree with Maine that financial assistance is okay as long as they work for it.

I have a very conservative cousin who hated Obama and Clinton...and she's a stereotypical welfare queen. Always demanding her benefits and public assistance, yet hating the government that gives it to her. She also has a very unhealthy diet and doesn't exercise so is in poor health, hence her excuse for not being able to work. What she is doing is wrong. So please don't assume all people who vote a certain way have the same beliefs.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:13 AM

7,438 posts, read 5,703,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So Maine's politicians are expecting these people to just sit in their homes and die? Interesting strategy.
Choices have consequences.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 AM

9,951 posts, read 15,545,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
They must not have been offering a reasonable salary. For the right salary people will do the job.
They said it was. They are wealthy and they could afford to pay a good salary. I think they would have paid almost anything 'cause the husband has a heart condition.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,724,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
To be honest, in order "to do any better" people need to be born with certain mental capacities to begin with, in order to make "long term plans."
Not everyone has these capacities, so they will be simply exploited, because hunger IS a motivator indeed.
Just one more reason not to continue importing millions of third world people to compete with those less capable Americans for the lower level jobs. And certainly to stop importing refugees to parts of the country without the infrastructure or jobs to support them or provide them an environment they can prosper in with greater independence. It seems all too often refugees are sent to certain areas more to increase that area's diversity or punish an area for voting the wrong way than because the area would be a good fit for the refugees in question.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,609,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm liberal and agree with work requirements for all except the disabled. That said - are there jobs in Maine? My brother and his in-laws live in Maine, and it doesn't seem like there is enough work to go around outside of tourism season. Much of the state makes the bulk of their income in the summer. In the winter, aside from some skiing areas, there is not much work to go around. How does that work with this scheme?
You need to understand the "right" leaning posters here don't want to discuss the topic they merely want to use it as cover to whine about the idea of somebody getting from the state.

They are complete hypocrites of course. The same people crying about the gov giving food stamp hand outs also are taking subsidies in various forms, but they don't view their subsidy as "taking" because they don't want to view it that way. Instead they like to define only the benefits they don't use as "bad"..

Old 02-21-2017, 10:27 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,971,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
She is now working long hours and someone else is raising her kids. How is that a better system?
That is how it works for people who work.

Bums who don't stay home and live off welfare.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 AM

26,708 posts, read 22,353,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
No one is clueless - but the poster is assuming a lot of things - that the recipients are rural, that they don't have a car ect.... I'm still trying to find out what the qualifications are for the program but have been unable to do so yet.

These suitable volunteer positions may not be at certain facilities but in certain areas - volunteering at a school, SPCA, Salvation Army, church ect...what I'm sure it was meant do dissuade was Joe Blow's uncle saying he volunteered at his place of business.
Let's start from this point, we'll go from there)))

Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,546,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Seems like a pretty straightforward question. If you are too lazy to work 24 hours a month, are you really going to try to find a job when you're kicked off the benefits wagon, or are you going to look for the quickest and easiest ways to put money in your pocket?
So you are going to acquiesce to the threat of someone becoming a criminal and give them free handouts because they are lazy? No, no, that won't fly here. We are trying to get away from that type thinking. Try to steal from some and you will end up in jail or dead. Please don't be scared and give in to common criminals.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:33 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,092,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
So I'm liberal and i know lots of people like to assume that people like me think everyone should get something for nothing, but that's absolutely not true. I've never supported welfare. I believe in hands up, not hands out. So I agree with Maine that financial assistance is okay as long as they work for it.

I have a very conservative cousin who hated Obama and Clinton...and she's a stereotypical welfare queen. Always demanding her benefits and public assistance, yet hating the government that gives it to her. She also has a very unhealthy diet and doesn't exercise so is in poor health, hence her excuse for not being able to work. What she is doing is wrong. So please don't assume all people who vote a certain way have the same beliefs.
It's not just your cousin. Most stereotypical welfare queens I know always vote Republican and have a great disdain for liberals. I think they overcompensate to balance out their life style
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies