Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:38 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

France's Le Pen cancels meet with Lebanon grand mufti over headscarf | Reuters

some of the great liberal feminists in our country could learn from her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:41 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Good for her.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
France's Le Pen cancels meet with Lebanon grand mufti over headscarf | Reuters

some of the great liberal feminists in our country could learn from her.
Why would she? She probably canceled for another reason she doesn't want to disclose. Only Muslim women have to wear a headscarves. And other women always wear head coverings, such as certain Orthodox Jewish women. I am so tired of the constant Muslim bashing from people who have no idea who real Muslim people are because have never met a Muslim and find themselves superior to Muslims just because they consider themselves Christian. Give it a rest already.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
I predict she will be the next President of France.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
"Marine La Pen refuses to cover herself to meet with a Muslim man... "

Good. I don't know much about her, but I wouldn't wear that oppressive headscarf either.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:55 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why would she? She probably canceled for another reason she doesn't want to disclose. Only Muslim women have to wear a headscarves. And other women always wear head coverings, such as certain Orthodox Jewish women. I am so tired of the constant Muslim bashing from people who have no idea who real Muslim people are because have never met a Muslim and find themselves superior to Muslims just because they consider themselves Christian. Give it a rest already.
Why would she? Ask Hillary..
Attached Thumbnails
Marine La Pen refuses to cover herself to meet with a Muslim man...-hillary-hijab.jpg  

Old 02-21-2017, 09:00 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
How do you know the poster is a Christian? You must not listen to some atheists and their thoughts about headscarves and such pertaining to Muslim culture, not all of what they say is talk of kindness.

Did you even read the article? She clearly states why she would not meet. Why are you trying to change the story? Why are you ignoring La Pen's own words?
"You can pass on my respects to the grand mufti, but I will not cover myself up," she said.
The cleric's press office said Le Pen's aides had been informed beforehand that a headscarf was required for the meeting and had been "surprised by her refusal". But it was no surprise in the French political context.
French law bans headscarves in the public service and for high school pupils, in the name of church-state separation and equal rights for women. Le Pen wants to extend this ban to all public places, a measure that would affect Muslims most of all.

Are you going to tell us, no headscarves were banned in France?

Funny, how people are okay with Muslims and Jews wearing head coverings, but if a Christian women were to do this, most of you would be saying she is suppressed and in bondage.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:02 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times
You know the old expression, "You can't fix Scooby snacks"

Old 02-21-2017, 09:02 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Quote:
That may be but the article states that the mufti (or his office/people) apparently requested that she cover up to meet him. Take that as you will.

I am a great believer in 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do' but I also see her point in this case.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Funny, how people are okay with Muslims and Jews wearing head coverings, but if a Christian women were to do this, most of you would be saying she is suppressed and in bondage.
No truer words have ever been posted.

Not only would they, but historically they did. And they yelled oppression just about Catholic women wearing the scarf during Mass. Mind you the women and men sat beside each other at Mass, not the women all located separately behind men as in the mosque. But more importantly Catholic women wore the hijab inside church because Catholic teaching was the body, soul, and divinity of Jesus was resting in the tabernacle of that church. It was a way of showing humility before God--not the men around you.

But fortunately the women of Orthodox Christianity still wear the Christian hijab during their Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies