Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:05 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You mean you need to soak the young and healthy for all of their money.

People need to start paying their fair share based upon risk, and if they cannot afford it then they can alter their Life-Styles to be healthier.
I agree. Fair share. But, also with a choice as to whether to participate in a plan or not.

I can't believe that so many people run constantly to the doctor or the emergency room and much of this is because they are paying for the insurance so they plan to get their money out of it, but take more than their share. The clinics insist on running all kinds of tests in the name of "preventive medicine". "Preventive medicine" is healthy eating and exercise, not needle punctures and expensive electronic equipment. So many of these expensive health issues are self-induced!

Just like with auto insurance, home insurance, etc. you pay based on the risk you represent. Health insurance should be no different.

Also, we need to do something about the fact that people go across the Mexican border and get prescription meds at a fraction of the cost. I am guessing we are subsidizing someone with the high costs that we pay in the USA.

Intelligent people predicted what would happen with ObamaCareNot and intelligent people were right. It was doomed and just one of the many things the Obama presidency brought to the American people.

I'd be fine with it returning to what it was. The government needs to get their nose out of the insurance business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:08 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear,

The people getting Medicare now, were once young and healthy and they paid into it. Your post makes no sense at all. Furthermore Medicare does not pay 100% of the costs. You might want to read up on it before making false statement.
You voted and won with the Gas Oil Party. Now you expect them to take care of SS and Medicare. You have seen what they did under McCrory to our state by cutting budgets to the bone and then raising taxes on the middle and lower incomes.

This is the Problem, you voted in a bunch of people who do not care about the voters

Old 02-21-2017, 05:08 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Looks like some of the ACA insurance providers are weighing in on the expected changes to the ACA. And stating they are looking at 40% increases in costs. Basically it's back to covering the costs of all those who choose not to have insurance.

I think some of the GOP reps are going to freak out when they realize they are stuck. Trumps actions alone will doom the ACA, but they can't find a cheaper solution. Just worse ones.

I don't think they thought their plan all the way through.

But I'll will say this, it looks like they will leave a lot of it up to states.....and the blue states will have the money to do it right. The red states just don't have the population density, and high tech income. Interesting times.
Don't think so, dude. But nice try.

The huge increases we've seen since the so-called "Affordable Care Act" are entirely due to it's failings, and it's hard to imagine that scrapping it would lead to anything but reduced costs.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:09 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Silver lining is if penalty isn't enforced you can just go a non-compliant policy for less than half the cost. Probably what I'll do next year. Most on ACA don't care. If premiums go up, they just get more subsidy so it doesn't hurt them any.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'd be fine with it returning to what it was. The government needs to get their nose out of the insurance business.
Perhaps insurance companies should penalize people that are overweight too. That probably impacts health more than anything.

Obese? Higher rate.
Drink? Higher rate.
DUI? Higher rate.
Speeding ticket? Higher rate.
Multiple DUIs and speeding tickets? Much higher rate!
Smoke? Higher rate.
Chew tobacco? Higher rate.
Opioid use? Higher rate.
Addictions of any kind? Higher rate.

Just penalize the least healthy into oblivion. Sound good?

Old 02-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
You voted and won with the Gas Oil Party. Now you expect them to take care of SS and Medicare. You have seen what they did under McCrory to our state by cutting budgets to the bone and then raising taxes on the middle and lower incomes.

This is the Problem, you voted in a bunch of people who do not care about the voters
Make no mistake. Medicare recipients DID NOT PAY FOR IT. They pay for about a third of the benefits they receive. Wait until Paul Ryan voucherizes them. Those are going to be some angry seniors. I'd feel bad but most are Trump supporters so they voted for it.

- Few seniors have actually paid for their Medicare benefits. According to an Urban Institute estimate, the typical retired couple paid $122,000 in lifetime Medicare taxes but can expect to receive benefits worth $387,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.327a321970f6

Old 02-21-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I agree. Fair share. But, also with a choice as to whether to participate in a plan or not.

I can't believe that so many people run constantly to the doctor or the emergency room and much of this is because they are paying for the insurance so they plan to get their money out of it, but take more than their share. The clinics insist on running all kinds of tests in the name of "preventive medicine". "Preventive medicine" is healthy eating and exercise, not needle punctures and expensive electronic equipment. So many of these expensive health issues are self-induced!

Just like with auto insurance, home insurance, etc. you pay based on the risk you represent. Health insurance should be no different.

Also, we need to do something about the fact that people go across the Mexican border and get prescription meds at a fraction of the cost. I am guessing we are subsidizing someone with the high costs that we pay in the USA.

Intelligent people predicted what would happen with ObamaCareNot and intelligent people were right. It was doomed and just one of the many things the Obama presidency brought to the American people.

This is pure fantasy. Right now it costs about 10K / person / year. Without the ACA, prices will go to the levels they would have gotten to prior to 2010. Substantially higher then what you or anyone else has.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Make no mistake. Medicare recipients DID NOT PAY FOR IT. They pay for about a third of the benefits they receive. Wait until Paul Ryan voucherizes them. Those are going to be some angry seniors. I'd feel bad but most are Trump supporters so they voted for it.

- Few seniors have actually paid for their Medicare benefits. According to an Urban Institute estimate, the typical retired couple paid $122,000 in lifetime Medicare taxes but can expect to receive benefits worth $387,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.327a321970f6
Those are the people who make it to that age. I know of many who have not made it to 65. In fact the largest age group will also have the largest number who will not make it to 65.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:22 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear,

The people getting Medicare now, were once young and healthy and they paid into it. Your post makes no sense at all. Furthermore Medicare does not pay 100% of the costs. You might want to read up on it before making false statement.
He's not incorrect though. Medicare is only designed for people to pay 50% of the costs in the forms of payroll taxes, copays, and either supplemental insurance coverage/Medicaid/out of pocket. The other 50% is just welfare bennies. Whether or not you agree/disagree with the welfare bennies (I happen to agree), they are welfare bennies. Higher income people get less welfare, lower income more.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Those are the people who make it to that age. I know of many who have not made it to 65. In fact the largest age group will also have the largest number who will not make it to 65.
There are posters on this thread saying they deserve Medicare because they paid for it. The truth is, they on average only pay for about a third of the benefits they receive. That is why Paul Ryan is so obsessed with giving them a voucher. He wants to put a fixed cost on Medicare because we spend so much money on those seniors and they do not pay for the benefits they receive.

There was no outrage from those seniors when Medicare Part D was passed because they benefited again. But let those younger than them receive health coverage and they protest. Seniors want to those working to pay for their health coverage and also try to pay for themselves and their own families. Seniors were shown to be the most selfish and entitled of all.

Wait until they get the Paul Ryan "fix".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies