Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Orientals are extremely smart. They can make their own way without help from others.

In the 80's, we had a Vietnamese woman at work who was studying for an EE. Barely spoke English. She lived with 5 or 6 other ones in a small house near work. She got her degree, mastered English and was one of the top EE's at work.

The only problem Orientals face is that top colleges discriminate against them. All the Ivy League schools would be filled with them and Jews if special provisions weren't made for others.
"Oriental?" That's a "blast from the past"...
Why You Should Avoid These Five Racial Terms
Meng Bill to Remove the Term "Oriental" from U.S. Law Signed by President Obama
Obama Signs Bill Banning Government Use of 'Negro,' 'Oriental' - Breitbart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:46 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
The word Japs

Both the white supremacists and compassionate liberals use it.

white supremacist: Obama apologized to the Japs! How dare he?

Liberals: No, he didn't apologize to the Japs. What are you talking about?

LOL hahahahah

Old 02-23-2017, 10:20 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The word Japs

Both the white supremacists and compassionate liberals use it.

white supremacist: Obama apologized to the Japs! How dare he?

Liberals: No, he didn't apologize to the Japs. What are you talking about?

LOL hahahahah
That's nothing, compared to some of the derogatory terms that Koreans and Chinese have for the Japanese...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-J...rogatory_terms

Old 02-23-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's nothing, compared to some of the derogatory terms that Koreans and Chinese have for the Japanese...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-J...rogatory_terms
oohhhhhhhhhh yeah!!!!!!!!

I've been told I have no redeeming quality as a human being by a Chinese person, and I am only 1/4 Japanese.

A chinese man I dated said, "If you leave me for a white man, I hope he stretches your (you know where) and no asian men would ever want you again!"

Forgot to add: There are insecure men and women in every race. Quite frankly, I don't understand why some people just hate their own race or other people's race for absolutely no reasons.

I think SOME Asian men can be very handsome, and overwhelming majority of them I've met are confident, fun to be with. Just because my relationship with the Asian man didn't work out, doesn't mean ALL Asian men are undateable. Thinking this way is ridiculous.

This said, I don't know how can ANY decent, independent Asian women would want to date a white man with a so called yellow fever.

I would like to believe most people fall in love for the person, not this person's race or skin color. I have no racial preference, and decent men all over the world have a lot in common. They're More Similar Than You Think! Decent men are responsible, loving, kind, forgiving, courageous, you can find such men in EVERY RACE.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 02-23-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-23-2017, 10:49 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
oohhhhhhhhhh yeah!!!!!!!!

I've been told I have no redeeming quality as a human being by a Chinese person, and I am only 1/4 Japanese.

A chinese man I dated said, "If you leave me for a white man, I hope he stretches your (you know where) and no asian men would ever want you again!"

One of my high school teachers was married to a Korean. According to him, the Koreans don't like Japanese. The term "Asian" is a catch all term. Japanese, Chinese, and Korean are considered Asian. However, all three ethnicities have different languages, alphabets, histories, cultures,etc.

This sounds alot like a refrain that some non-Black men tell their women regarding the possibility of them dating a Black man. And I say "non Black" because this kind of mentality, there aren't only White persons thinking like that.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Asians usually don't like being called a model minority or geeky, especially the men, and not all Asians are smart, either. They are normal people just like the rest of us
I've never heard Asians called a model minority or geeky. I've heard smart, although I never used the word 'all'. Stereotypes are based on a good number of a group, not 'all'.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One of my high school teachers was married to a Korean. According to him, the Koreans don't like Japanese. The term "Asian" is a catch all term. Japanese, Chinese, and Korean are considered Asian. However, all three ethnicities have different languages, alphabets, histories, cultures,etc.

This sounds alot like a refrain that some non-Black men tell their women regarding the possibility of them dating a Black man. And I say "non Black" because this kind of mentality, there aren't only White persons thinking like that.
I think in Asian countries, things are a little bit different. There are a small percentage of nationalists and they are really just Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc supremacists. I try not to pay attention to any of them. I spent several years in Japan, China, and Korea, and I get along with pretty much everybody.

My brother has no racial preference, but he has a thing for black ladies. I remember one time, an Asian girl asked him who is the most beautiful race,my brother said there are beautiful girls in every race, but generally speak, he believed black women are the most beautiful, in his opinion ONLY (he likes the skin color) The Asian girl got defensive immediately! Seriously, how can you expect anybody to answer this queen and the magic mirror type of question, "Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the prettiest of them all?" sheesh

like you said earlier, race is always a very sensitive subject and people tend to take it personally.

My sister is engaged to a black man. My ex brother-in-law is white. I loved my ex brother-in-law until he started cheating and stopped working. I also believe my ex bil used my sister for her trust fund, heck the man hasn't worked for seven years. What do you expect me to think? My soon to be brother-in-law is everything i expected in a brother-in-law and I love him. But this doesn't mean that I think black men are superior to white men or vice versa.

There are decent men in every race. I try to treat everybody as an individual.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 02-23-2017 at 11:45 AM..

Old 02-23-2017, 11:26 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...this thread isn't about the success of Asian Americans...it's a gripe session about the lack of success by other minority groups. Asians are just being used to drive the wedge. I know the game. Been watching you folks play it for 51 years.

I didn't say that there was a conspiracy to keep Asians down. However, you folks like your minorities to remain docile. I know that game too.
Exactly. It's yet another meme to use Asian Americans as a stick to bash other ethnic groups. And yet, when it's useful - white folks will turn on Asian Americans. Remember Vincent Chin. Wen Ho Lee. Complaining about "tiger parents" and hypercompetitive students in schools. Or about too many Asian strip malls and Chinese being spoken in public. We're lauded for "assimilating" yet criticized for putting up street signs with Asian language script in public.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:42 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Exactly. It's yet another meme to use Asian Americans as a stick to bash other ethnic groups. And yet, when it's useful - white folks will turn on Asian Americans. Remember Vincent Chin. Wen Ho Lee. Complaining about "tiger parents" and hypercompetitive students in schools. Or about too many Asian strip malls and Chinese being spoken in public. We're lauded for "assimilating" yet criticized for putting up street signs with Asian language script in public.
I've said this before...they just use the Asian model minority myth because they want to validate the supposed belief of black inferiority.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:44 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You didn't refute me I never said they didn't vote for Obama I said they don't identify as Democrats as heavily as other minorities and the stats are all there..about 50 percent do that is significantly less than other minorities.

Asian Americans | Pew Research Center
Context, context, context. Look at trends.

My point is aggregately Asian American voters in the last several decades trended away from Republicans, a lot more than I expected. And IME that has to do with the Republican Party nationally adapting a more nativist platform. Heck, a lot of AA folks leaned Republican say in the 70s & 80s because of anti-Communism (like Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese). In my area we actually had some pretty moderate Republican congressional reps like Pete McCloskey, Ed Zschau, and Glenn Campbell who were tech-oriented officials who shunned cultural wedge issues.

Remember - Latinos in California used to be pretty much split between GOP and Dems prior to Gov. Pete Wilson deciding to use immigration as a wedge issue in his 1994 reelection campaign. After that, things changed. And a lot of Asians also found that rather unattractive as well.

Anti-Communism is more or less of a dead issue these days for political purposes, though in the Vietnamese American community it's still used as a wedge issue to attack each other - but that's going away with the younger generation (just like with Cuban Americans).

Oh, and BTW, party identification and actual voter behavior are two different things. I'm focusing on voter behavior rather than party affiliation.
http://fusion.net/story/368617/exit-...pported-trump/

Last edited by silverkris; 02-23-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies