Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Easy answer.

Asians, in general, don't try to use their minority status to seek special treatment, advantages, and/or excuses for irresponsible behavior.
Really? That's interesting, because the first big time lawsuit i remember over Affirmative Action was in Colorado and it was over an Asian company or business using Affirmative Action in trying to secure contracts, and some white dude got mad about it. This was probably 25 years ago.

So, unless you don't regard Affirmative Action as "special treatment" or some time of "advantage," you're not coming off as too credible. What you're ACTUALLY trying to do is what i mentioned earlier...run interference for Asians by inserting them into your own personal racial beefs with other racial groups.

Because strangely enough, i don't see Asians spewing all of this hostility. You on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:50 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I am an Asian immigrant & had no issues with discrimination or racism in this country. I didnt come here with a high handed attitude thinking you owed me something. I came here to learn, blend in, work hard & become successful. I made an effort to learn about your culture, history, values, lifestyle & went out of the way to adapt myself to your country rather than being a bully & expecting you to change to accomodate me. It was my decision to migrate here so its upto me to make the effort & try to fit in. I cant speak for all Asians but atleast thats the attitude me & my Asian friends have in common.
This is the ways it's been for all the various groups coming here the last couple hundred years, the problem is is that for about the last 40 or 50 years that mentally doesn't apply as much, groups come here, don't bother learning the language, set up their own enclaves and don't really work much to become "Americans" like other people historically have. That's a lot of the problem in my opinion.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,609 times
They overwhelmingly live in major metropolitan areas (3/4 of Asians live in metro areas with over 2.5 million people) and in blue states so they are highly concentrated and don't really exist in Middle America outside of the major Texas cities and the Chicago area. This also hurts them from making more of an impact politically and they've really become hardcore Democratic voters the past few elections.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:20 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
One thing I have found interesting is that no matter how many topics there are about minorities, what issues they are dealing with or face Asians are rarely discussed. Why is that? And what is different that has made it so they are so successful in comparison to other minorities?
It all depends on the different groups of Asians.
Not all have been equally successful by any means. In fact, many of the Asians who are the most successful don't have citizenship but have green cards. The Chinese are particularly this way.

In contrast, the Vietnamese haven't done very well climbing our economic ladder after 50 years of citizenship.

We don't notice them as much as other minorities. They tend to stay closer to their ethnic and national groups more than others, and while they are integrating into our society, it's happening much slower than other groups, and it all varies from group to group a lot.

The Japanese immigrants, for example, have learned basic English in their Japanese schools, and Japan knows a lot more of our cultural ways than the Cambodians (another example). The Japanese copy our culture, taking it up in their own way in Japan, so when they move here, it's different than they thought it would be, but not essentially different. For them, it's a matter of adjusting what they are already familiar with.

The Cambodians know next to nothing about the U.S., so they have a lot, lot more to understand and become accustomed to.

And since the Asian spoken languages are more complicated than English- they all use inflection in addition to grammar for meaning, as one difference - learning spoken English is much harder for them and takes much longer to learn.

Their written language is also vastly different. The Chinese and Japanese, for example, cannot speak each other's language, but they share the same written language and can read it with full understanding.

All this combines to keep them self-enclosed in their own enclaves. And they are all very aware of all the Asian hostility that the U.S. has visited upon past immigrations.

Unlike the west, some of the Asians know their oral family histories much farther back than Occidentals do, and they haven't forgotten the great-great-great grandfather who was lynched in San Francisco in 1880. This also tends to keep them off our radar. Those memories are a part of them, so they stay quiet and go about their business in today's America.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:38 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
"When discussing issues for minorities why are Asians rarely talked about?"

Asia is a big area. Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese have done quite well, in my neck of the woods. The only issues I see are generational family issues, I'm sure there are others though. Maybe it's because they don't complain?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:44 PM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Because Asians exist in that twilight zone where they are present, but are never fully integrated into the public conscious.

They live in a strange netherworld, where they aren't fully accepted by multiple races (black, white, latino).

Fact is there are many asian communities that live below poverty and deal with crime and such issues. Yet no politician ever cares about that, all they ever talk about are blacks and latino's (including Trump).

Not all asians are straight A students who dominate universities and tech companies.

Many people seem to have this image of asians as forever being foreigners, immigrants who hardly speak english. Never mind that the first asians set foot in America in the 1700's.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
One thing I have found interesting is that no matter how many topics there are about minorities, what issues they are dealing with or face Asians are rarely discussed. Why is that? And what is different that has made it so they are so successful in comparison to other minorities?
To your first question, Asians don't generally like to rock the boat. It takes alot to get us passionate enough about something to protest, but when you push us enough, you can be sure you'll hear from us.

To your 2nd question, many Asians are successful because they are so motivated to do well. It's part of having Tigers for parents, lol. j/k.

All kidding aside, I think you'll find many Asians are successful not because they are smarter but because so many belong to a close-knit and supportive family where failure is just NOT an option. lol

Old 02-21-2017, 07:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Because it is way easier to stereotype them as model minorities. And erase them from all forms of pop culture and mass media.

Stereotyping is stereotyping and still limiting. Even when stereotypes are positive.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because it is way easier to stereotype them as model minorities. And erase them from all forms of pop culture and mass media.

Stereotyping is stereotyping and still limiting. Even when stereotypes are positive.
Yes, like white privilege.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 PM

381 posts, read 177,145 times
Although Indians are Asians geographically, we're not included when people speak of Asians, but I'll share my opinion nonetheless. We see how hard our parents worked to bring us to the U.S. and make a life here to create a better future for their kids. Uprooting is rarely easy, especially with kids and leaving a life and family behind. I grew up in a strict household where my parents acted like parents, not my friends. Btw, a lot of Indians that come here have college degrees and had careers back home, so it's a carefully selected field that comes here. My mom has a large Indian social circle, and not only are most professionals, but they have high ranks within their companies. Asians also tend to stick together and be there for one another; my mom's coworker and friend is Syrian Christian and once said in her time of need, it was Indian people that helped her. I was amazed, yet very proud of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies