Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times

Advertisements

Asians are very middle of the road politically on average that's why the Democrats pretty much ignore them and never talk about them. A lot of them aren't poor either and since the Democrats need to buy votes they lose that angle when it comes to Asians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
They overwhelmingly live in major metropolitan areas (3/4 of Asians live in metro areas with over 2.5 million people) and in blue states so they are highly concentrated and don't really exist in Middle America outside of the major Texas cities and the Chicago area. This also hurts them from making more of an impact politically and they've really become hardcore Democratic voters the past few elections.
Most of them are in California and blue states yes but they are not hardcore Democrats. Not anywhere near the level that blacks and hispanics are when it comes to voting for Democrats. Obama had a huge problem connecting with Asians in general. Obama-Sharpton thinks they're racist because a lot of the countries in Asia aren't very diverse. He doesn't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:13 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
One thing I have found interesting is that no matter how many topics there are about minorities, what issues they are dealing with or face Asians are rarely discussed. Why is that? And what is different that has made it so they are so successful in comparison to other minorities?
It's really not all that difficult to understand. My brother lives and works in an area with lots of Asians. While minorities aren't present where I live in anywhere near the proportions my brother experiences, I too have seen enough examples to form my own thoughts. Asians tend to be very family oriented, value education, tend to be frugal in their spending habits, dress conservatively and appropriately for the situation, and are willing to work hard to make their own way in life.

You can't help but expect a very high rate of successful and functional people coming out of a culture with these traits.

If you turn these traits upside down, like some cultures (or sub-cultures) seemingly do, you'll see all kinds of bad things happen....along with a never ending series of predictable negative issues/problems arise on a seemingly never ending basis. It's obviously not entirely race based, or else all minority races would face the same issues. Race may sometimes be a factor, but it all other things were equal, it would be a negligible part.

It's not rocket science to figure out what values and practices work....and which ones don't. Just open your eyes and observe what is going on around you and you'll figure it out real quick.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Because Americans would rather bash black Americans lol. Simple as that.

Also most posters around here do not know about the issues facing Asian Americans in this country and so they think they don't have any issues.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:11 AM

Will also note that Asians have one of the highest growing poverty rates in the US. Also that there are different "types" of Asian Americans based on ethnicity and many of them have worse economic and education statistics than black Americans. Vietnamese, Lao, Cambodian, Hmong, and other Asians groups in America don't do as well as Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Indians and others.

FWIW, I worked in housing in Atlanta and there is a pretty large amount of Asians, primarily elderly Koreans living in public housing there.

Due to the stereotype of Asians being a "model minority" and "better" than other minorities (black and hispanic) in America, their issues are very much ignored and overlooked. More Asians Americans are becoming more outspoken though, especially online and many on the west coast.

For those communities to get the resources they need, they have to be more outspoken and many of them recognize this.

Will also note that the positive stereotype above is used along with the negative stereotypes that Asians aren't "well rounded" and are socially defunct nerds. Asian men are de-masculated in American society. Asian Americans and especially the Chinese are stereotyped as evil communist spies or sorcerers in cinema. So they have issues, most posters on this forum don't know about them and so they just try to use Asians (another "issue") to pit up against, primarily black Americans and act like they are "better" than other people when all of us are just people and all of us have our issues.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:16 AM

379 posts, read 255,231 times
Quote:
One thing I have found interesting is that no matter how many topics there are about minorities, what issues they are dealing with or face Asians are rarely discussed. Why is that? And what is different that has made it so they are so successful in comparison to other minorities?
High IQ, discipline, rule abidingness, low crime rate, low divorce rate, and ethnic solidarity.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
The reason that Asians aren't talked about regarding those issues is because Asians don't fit the left-wing narrative that minorities are "oppressed" in America. In fact, they directly contradict it.

It's the same reason that black Americans who are successful and affluent are rarely talked about in discussions about problems facing minorities. Politics is all about the narrative.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The reason that Asians aren't talked about regarding those issues is because Asians don't fit the left-wing narrative that minorities are "oppressed" in America. In fact, they directly contradict it.

It's the same reason that black Americans who are successful and affluent are rarely talked about in discussions about problems facing minorities.
Interesting this post considering the fact I mentioned above - that Asian Americans have the fastest growing poverty levels in this country today. They also experience other issues within their demographic.

On black Americans, we are all talked about and lumped together as being poor and dysfunctional no matter our affluence or success. On the flip side Asians are always discussed as successful no matter their social ills within the demographic. Both are based on stereotypes. Since most of the posters here buy into stereotypes, that is why the "issues" facing Asian Americans aren't talked about on the forum. You don't think they have any problems within the demographic.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? That's interesting, because the first big time lawsuit i remember over Affirmative Action was in Colorado and it was over an Asian company or business using Affirmative Action in trying to secure contracts, and some white dude got mad about it. This was probably 25 years ago.

So, unless you don't regard Affirmative Action as "special treatment" or some time of "advantage," you're not coming off as too credible. What you're ACTUALLY trying to do is what i mentioned earlier...run interference for Asians by inserting them into your own personal racial beefs with other racial groups.

Because strangely enough, i don't see Asians spewing all of this hostility. You on the other hand...
Asians can't use AA to seek for special treatment. That's the privilege of blacks and Latinos.

In fact, Asians are heavily discriminated under AA. An Asian must be a lot better than both white and black to get admitted to schools and to jobs. The vast majority of job advertisement seeking for "minorities" are only meant for blacks and Latinos.

As we all know, some people aren't just as good and they need the help of the AA to get into schools or find jobs while Asian are so awesome that they need to be knocked down a few notches.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
High IQ, discipline, rule abidingness, low crime rate, low divorce rate, and ethnic solidarity.
Not high IQ. Asians don't have high IQ - they have the same IQ as everybody else.

Their focus on education, avoiding single motherhood and maintaining low crime rate would be my guess why they are successful even when facing institutionalized racism.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Why are Asians rarely talked about?
1. They complain the least. They just don't band together to complain as much as blacks and Hispanics do.
2. Asians are pretty self sufficient as a community. They take care of their own.
3. Asians in College tend to excel. What help do they need on that front?
I can tell you that I am married to an Asian and hang out with quite a few Asians. In fact most of my friends are Asian. Asians don't like to air their laundry for the world to see. As some have said they are far more strict with their children, very conservative in that way. They are tight with their money. Not cheap, frugal. The ones I know at least.
When you avoid attention you tend to get less of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies