Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Everything in bold is why I don't get the "Blacks should vote Republican" line. In principle I'm not for illegal entry. However, I do feel that Blacks are the least preferred for hiring(outside of Affirmative Action). I will say this. It was a shock/psychological come-apart for me to know that Blacks as a whole are seen as lazy and could affect how I am seen. And there is nothing I can personally do about it. I understand no matter who I vote for, I will still be stuck with certain stigmas as a Black man.
I think the blue is shocking for a lot of young black Americans today and in the past. I always knew this was the case based on the input of my elders, but when I actually got out into the "real world" it was also shocking to me to experience the pervasive negative stereotypes of blacks in America. It is something that doesn't bother me much today, but it really was shocking when I was a young adult (18-24 or so).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Everything in bold is why I don't get the "Blacks should vote Republican" line. In principle I'm not for illegal entry. However, I do feel that Blacks are the least preferred for hiring(outside of Affirmative Action). I will say this. It was a shock/psychological come-apart for me to know that Blacks as a whole are seen as lazy and could affect how I am seen. And there is nothing I can personally do about it. I understand no matter who I vote for, I will still be stuck with certain stigmas as a Black man.
No offense to Martin Luther King Jr, however, you cannot judge a person by the content of their character UNTIL YOU GET TO KNOW THEM!! Much of discrimination happens before you even get to know someone. Thus, long before a person knows of your content of character, they know your race...and this is when discrimination takes place. This is also how self fulfilling prophecies take place also. The mind seeks proof of what it believes....even if it has to manufacture the proof. Hence, say you are hired, despite the reservations a person had about you being black (and hence lazy and a trouble maker). Then the person who hired you give you some crazy hard job and talks to you with a negative tone. That, in turn, MAY make you respond in a way that confirms that you are a lazy trouble maker. He might not even be conscious that such is what he was doing, but had he not had those biases his mind would not have set you up for failure...or to prove his bias. Hence, if you see people different you can treat them differently, thus triggering a reaction that confirms your belief. The same can work in regards to racism too. If you assume that a white person is racist, you may in turn trigger a reaction that triggers them to act like a racist. I mean.....this is deep *****! The subconscious mind is where a lot of this stuff is going on....and most people are not in tune with their subconscious enough to even know.

The content of character thing is what allows people to be racist.....but have healthy and loving relationships with people of other races. Somehow they managed to learn the character of a person of a different race....enough to welcome them in their circle. However, that fact DOES NOT mean that they are not making negative assumptions about black people whose character than have not yet learned. We are all victims of this to one degree or another....in the perpetuation of all this, based upon things that happened long ago.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-22-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think the blue is shocking for a lot of young black Americans today and in the past. I always knew this was the case based on the input of my elders, but when I actually got out into the "real world" it was also shocking to me to experience the pervasive negative stereotypes of blacks in America. It is something that doesn't bother me much today, but it really was shocking when I was a young adult (18-24 or so).
I got this shock early on, age 13-15. At the time, I started chalking it up to "I live in a redneck part of metro Atlanta. Once I get out of here, it gets better". I got to college and found a mix of things. Some things got better. However, I started learning slowly that a change in geography doesn't mean one will escape racism. I got "in your face/the "N" word" racism in middle school/high school. I got kids flying Confederate flags in high school. I got more subtle racism in college. A little bit of it was open. However, alot of it became more subtle. And I soon found that one could be looked down on by anyone. I was shocked when some Hispanic persons made racially charged jokes at me on the job, and when a Nigerian guy called me a racial slur. Age 18-21. It was a shock. Today I'm not surprised. I understand that sometimes, being a Black American often means being looked down on alot, and complained about alot more than most groups. There are those who will judge certain Black American individuals by the very worst of the population.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
I think they sort of get screwed in my opinion they're 1/3 of the worlds population yet really underrepresented in the U.S. (around 5 percent) and they don't seem to be treated the same as other minorities. Also as someone else said they don't fit the narrative of how a minority should be according to the Democrats so they largely ignore them as an ethnic group. The Democrats have a huge need and desire to stick to the playbook that minorities are being held down by the evil white man. Asian-Americans are successful for the most part so this infuriates them.

Something like 50 percent of Asian-Americans have a degree yet back in their home country it can be as low as 5 percent depending on the country so as far as actual immigrants the US is getting the cream of the crop when it comes to Asia. However the offspring of said immigrants are also likely to do well. Chinese, Filipinos, and Indians are the three largest groups in the US and they all do well on average.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Asians are in more racial discussions than they care to be in. And they're in most of the discussions i hear, that's for sure.

Usually, they're put in conversations by white people trying to pit them against blacks or some other group as whites try to put the "model minority" tag on them while expressing their hatred of the other minority groups. Happens all the time on CD. White folks feel like they're the protection force for Asian Americans....not that i've ever heard an Asian mention that they desire such an arrangement.

As for Asians themselves, i rarely ever hear them trying to insert themselves into the racial malaise. I guess they don't need to and couldn't anyway...why with white folks working so hard to jump to it before they can do it themselves.

All i know is that i've never experienced any trouble with Asians of any stripe before (a few Arabs and Indians being the rare exception). So i don't even think about them in that context.
While there aren't many threads started regarding Asians, Asians do get mentioned. The whole "model minority" thing. It is often used as a way to talk down on Blacks. The whole "why can't Blacks be more like Asians? They don't complain, they just keep working". What I really see it "Why can't Blacks just sit there and take whatever bad treatment they get and remain quiet"?

In my personal life, I've run into all kinds of prejudice people. It isn't limited to just Whites. I've run into some bigoted Hispanic individuals, some bigots of South Asian background, and some bigots who were of African and West Indian descent. There are bigots all over.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:50 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
One thing I have found interesting is that no matter how many topics there are about minorities, what issues they are dealing with or face Asians are rarely discussed. Why is that? And what is different that has made it so they are so successful in comparison to other minorities?

Asians value family, education, and hard work over rap music and a "gangsta" lifestyle.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Asians value family, education, and hard work over rap music and a "gangsta" lifestyle.
And? Does complaining about Blacks make gangbanging and dropping out of school go away? Last I checked, all it does is anger the Black persons who do value family, education, and hard work.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Asians are in more racial discussions than they care to be in. And they're in most of the discussions i hear, that's for sure.

Usually, they're put in conversations by white people trying to pit them against blacks or some other group as whites try to put the "model minority" tag on them while expressing their hatred of the other minority groups. Happens all the time on CD. White folks feel like they're the protection force for Asian Americans....not that i've ever heard an Asian mention that they desire such an arrangement.

As for Asians themselves, i rarely ever hear them trying to insert themselves into the racial malaise. I guess they don't need to and couldn't anyway...why with white folks working so hard to jump to it before they can do it themselves.

All i know is that i've never experienced any trouble with Asians of any stripe before (a few Arabs and Indians being the rare exception). So i don't even think about them in that context.
I find it interesting politically partially since Asians don't bow down to the Democrats and the Democrats seem to ignore them. Once blacks and hispanics realize the Democrats only give a #### about them for votes. They might finally start to see the light. Also I think racisim and stereotypes of or against Asians is more accepted compared to blacks and hispanics. So yeah I think that's bs.

They are generally more under the radar and not as "loud", and there is less of them. So things may infuriate them, you just don't realize it because they're not on CNN with an Asian Al Sharpton talking about how Asians are stereotyped.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:57 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese and any other "Asianese" you can think of listen to Rap music. And please don't let me start posting videos on Asian gangs.

Last edited by dorado0359; 02-22-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
While there aren't many threads started regarding Asians, Asians do get mentioned. The whole "model minority" thing. It is often used as a way to talk down on Blacks. The whole "why can't Blacks be more like Asians? They don't complain, they just keep working". What I really see it "Why can't Blacks just sit there and take whatever bad treatment they get and remain quiet"?

In my personal life, I've run into all kinds of prejudice people. It isn't limited to just Whites. I've run into some bigoted Hispanic individuals, some bigots of South Asian background, and some bigots who were of African and West Indian descent. There are bigots all over.
I also get the bold from these exchanges.

People who bring up Asians want black people to shut up lol.

As a black person, I won't allow them though to pit me against any Asian American because I grew up with refugee Asian Americans and I know they had the same issues to deal with that I had and most of them today have a worse life than I have today financially and on other measures.

I also feel that most Asian Americans, like desert detroiter mentioned, don't even partake in these sorts of discussions except a select few. I have only entertained these discussions about the supposed superiority of Asian Americans from white Americans and a random Asian Indian (who was put down by another Asian Indian so I didn't even have to say anything) and a Chinese immigrant who immigrated as an adult to this country. So I didn't even consider them a Chinese American really. Most Chinese in China aren't doing all that well either so she wasn't one to talk IMO and I told her as such and that did shut her up.

Many of the Koreans I knew via organizations and my employees a few years ago, especially the Millenial Asian Americans, they were much more vocal about bias and racism they faced in society and the workplace and at school versus older Asian Americans I interacted with. They also told me that the outspoken-ness of "black culture" is something they felt was needed within the Asian American demographic because many of their issues relating to poverty, education(for the Asian refugee communities), and housing costs are things that too often are overlooked. All Asians, even the Hmnong or Khmer are thought of as "successful" when they are some of the poorest groups of Americans in this country with very low educational achievement even though they have two parent homes. It is good IMO that many of them are being more outspoken because once I learned of their issues, I agree that they are ignored. Asian Indians IMO are more vocal than many SE Asian immigrant communities as are Arabs (Middle Easterners). Asian Indians are many times thought of as "Muslims" and are stereotyped as terrorists like Arabs and so I feel that that is a driving force for them to have a louder voice along with the fact that both Arabs and Asian Indians are some of the more successful Asian immigrant groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies