Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 03:20 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok an actual person is more important than a potential person aka a fetus.
Again, you are valuing life because you view that life as lesser, sub human, less than human due to its current state. Like the other poster, you place varying values on life, no different than others in history who place varying levels on life based on numerous rationalized processes.

Using your logical base and applying it, I could make the argument that this man:

Is "lesser" and not as important as a fully developed human because he is not completely developed as a normal human is.

You argue semantics and place values on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Nonsense.

If a parents body can be forced to provide life to a fetus than children regardless of age should be able to force their parents to risk their lives and forcibly donate organs to them. And if we are going to take away the body autonomy of women "because all lives are equal" why can't we force people to become organ donors for strangers whose lives are threatened? If it saves a life and all lives are valuable and people no longer have the right to make decisions for their bodies that might lead to someone else's death than the next logical step is to force people to donate organs.
Your argument is not logically valid. You are simply just claiming it so.

In the case of the pregnant woman, the life of the child is dependent on the woman. The womans action to abort is a direct action to kill the child.

In your example, the child is of its own responsibility. The mothers actions at that point are not the direct cause of harm to that child (ie the failing organ is).

Your argument is invalid because you are not applying proper relevant evaluation.

Go ahead, put it in PQ format and you will see the logic error. Your argument is invalid. /shrug

Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Again, you are valuing life because you view that life as lesser, sub human, less than human due to its current state. Like the other poster, you place varying values on life, no different than others in history who place varying levels on life based on numerous rationalized processes.

Using your logical base and applying it, I could make the argument that this man:

Is "lesser" and not as important as a fully developed human because he is not completely developed as a normal human is.

You argue semantics and place values on life.
you are devaluing life as lesser when you force a woman to take a pregnancy to term against her will. or do you not see that?

btw her life her pregnancy does not compare to anything other than her life, her pregnancy. not to preemies, toddlers, the disabled or the elderly.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you are devaluing life as lesser when you force a woman to take a pregnancy to term against her will. or do you not see that?

btw her life her pregnancy does not compare to anything other than her life, her pregnancy. not to preemies, toddlers, the disabled or the elderly.

So, by not letting a woman out right kill their child, I am treating the life of the woman as lesser?

That isn't logical at all. In fact, it is down right silly.

I guess I can now understand how some men felt when they were told by others that they could not beat their wives. It just seemed alien that they could not, after all, it was their woman and they could do whatever the hell they wanted with their woman!

People have strange minds.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So, by not letting a woman out right kill their child, I am treating the life of the woman as lesser?

That isn't logical at all. In fact, it is down right silly.

I guess I can now understand how some men felt when they were told by others that they could not beat their wives. It just seemed alien that they could not, after all, it was their woman and they could do whatever the hell they wanted with their woman!

People have strange minds.
you don't seem to understand the concept of personal liberty or autonomy over ones own body. it can not be compared to anything else.

why should you get to force anyone to remain pregnant and give birth? you don't see the horror of that? that is what hitler did in his breeding programs at Berchtesgarden.

reducing a woman to a mere breeding cow is slavery.

beating your wife is not comparable to a woman's pregnancy.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
you don't seem to understand the concept of personal liberty or autonomy over ones own body. it can not be compared to anything else.

why should you get to force anyone to remain pregnant and give birth? you don't see the horror of that? that is what hitler did in his breeding programs at Berchtesgarden.

reducing a woman to a mere breeding cow is slavery.

beating your wife is not comparable to a woman's pregnancy.
Actually, I do.

You see, the child has a right to life. Your woman has no right to deprive that child of life. That child has its liberty, and your woman has no right to infringe on that liberty. She must respect that "right to life" if she respects liberty. You see, just as we realized that a man could not own another man, so did we realize that a woman can not own her child and so that child has every right to life that she does.

You have no argument, your argument is invalid. You are arguing a immature argument, one that refuses to accept that it has a failed premise, but stamps its feet because it WANT's to be right and darn it... it is going to be right and it doesn't care who tells it otherwise.

I am familiar with this process, I have seen many a teenager go through this failure to accept the hole in their logic.

/shrug

Old 02-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Actually, I do.

You see, the child has a right to life. Your woman has no right to deprive that child of life. That child has its liberty, and your woman has no right to infringe on that liberty. She must respect that "right to life" if she respects liberty. You see, just as we realized that a man could not own another man, so did we realize that a woman can not own her child and so that child has every right to life that she does.

You have no argument, your argument is invalid. You are arguing a immature argument, one that refuses to accept that it has a failed premise, but stamps its feet because it WANT's to be right and darn it... it is going to be right and it doesn't care who tells it otherwise.

I am familiar with this process, I have seen many a teenager go through this failure to accept the hole in their logic.

/shrug
you are really hilarious. you want to deny liberty to women who are pregnant. the law, the courts agree with my view.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:17 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm pro-life. This is a very old beat to death argument.
Agree.
Abortion is just plain wrong.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:20 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I had a vasectomy.

Hmm, so you want a society we're we don't force the morality on others and we shouldn't have laws against rape. Ok. I find that horribly wrong.

Terminating a late term pregnancy is infanticide - the killing of an infant.

A baby at 32 weeks in the womb is still a baby.
I'm pretty liberal on most issues, but I agree with Pedro on this. If it is wrong to kill a baby on Day +1, why is it OK on Day -1? I think most prochoice people intrinsically agree, but are afraid that giving in an inch on this issue will be a slippery slope. If both sides could agree on restrictions for the 3rd trimester (which affects barely anyone) and no restrictions in the 1st trimester, then we could just debate the in-between.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
you are really hilarious. you want to deny liberty to women who are pregnant. the law, the courts agree with my view.
The law, the courts agreed with slavery, and women not being allowed to vote at one time as well. An appeal to authority or to that of consensus is not a validation of a position. Though something tells me like your friend IamRogue, the finer points of debate topics are likely lost on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies