Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Insurance is NOT voluntary in the case of property and auto (and as long as the ACA holds, health).
It is voluntary since owning property and owning an automobile are voluntary.

Quote:
By paying what the "market" wants and completely disregarding the cost of living...

Cost of living is dictated by my individual markets
Wages are dictated by a market

They are under no obligation to meet in the middle. Example: San Francisco, NYC, LA, etc...
If the two grows wider and wider, then people can starve can they not?
Or people can move to low cost areas to live and work.

If people are too stupid to relocate for better opportunities and living conditions, then how dumb are they?

Old 02-22-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Funny how Trump supporters like the idea of no minimum wage. Its a dream scenario for employers who will push their puppets in Congress to flood the country with people from the third world to work those $1 an hour jobs.
If you would be right, then employers would pay the minimum wage and only the minimum wage.

Obviously, that's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Conservative ideology is about the individual.me myself and I, give nothing of yourself to others,its all mine and you cant have any.
You couldn't be more wrong.

Conservative ideology places family above self, then the self, then the community.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.
Conservatives want people to take care of themselves.

Not have other people take care of them. We are not against health care, just against making us pay for someone else.

Personal responsibility.

To me that's it in a nutshell. I can take care of me but not thee. Take care of yourself and your own.

Last edited by T-310; 02-22-2017 at 04:45 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Insurance is NOT voluntary in the case of property and auto (and as long as the ACA holds, health).

If you think minimum wage is robbery, then you think some people do not have the right to life. Completely wrong sir.
Millions of people drive without insurance. If your house is paid off you don't have to insure it.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Supply and demand, coupled with education being a labor intensive field. No new major universities have been built in the last 40+ years (Everest College and ITT don't count), so you have a static supply with a growing demand of students. What would help is if more state schools were built.
What would help is higher admissions standards to weed out the vast number of students who have no aptitude for university.

Quote:
You can't price it based on risk, because that leaves people with genetic conditions or cancer S.O.L.
It won't kill them to pay 20% to 50% more for health plan coverage.

Quote:
And we could have a nationalized system.
Not like Britain, Sweden Spain or Portugal you can't. You can have a system like Germany, except it would fail, so you'd have to model your system after France or the Netherlands or Denmark.

Quote:
We would have had one of FDR hadn't died in his Fourth Term.
We're all lucky the dictator died.

Quote:
Would prob require a constitutional amendment.
That would only be required for a system like Britain, Sweden Spain or Portugal

Apparently, you don't understand the differences between the myriad universal health care systems.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Insurance is NOT voluntary in the case of property and auto...
There's no law saying you must have renter's or homeowner's insurance. A lender may require you to obtain homeowner's insurance as a condition of a loan. There is generally a mandatory minimum level of liability insurance required by law in most jurisdictions in the Western world in order to operate a vehicle on public roads. There is no legal requirement to have any additional insurance (comp/collision, uninsured motorist, etc.) and there's no requirement to have liability if you won't be operating the vehicle on public roads.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:34 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.
So, you pretty much want free stuff at the expense of other people. How is that a sustainable economic model? Almost everything you listed is NOT the government's responsibility to provide. It's that simple. The government doesn't owe you a wage - minimum or otherwise. It doesn't owe you health care. Union membership isn't a right. Where did you get the notion that its the government's job to provide all of that stuff? Why do you think that 1/2 of the population is obligated to pay for said services while the other have contributes nothing or less than nothing? Sometimes I think liberals are clinically insane.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
So, you pretty much want free stuff at the expense of other people. How is that a sustainable economic model? Almost everything you listed is NOT the government's responsibility to provide. It's that simple. The government doesn't owe you a wage - minimum or otherwise. It doesn't owe you health care. Union membership isn't a right. Where did you get the notion that its the government's job to provide all of that stuff? Why do you think that 1/2 of the population is obligated to pay for said services while the other have contributes nothing or less than nothing? Sometimes I think liberals are clinically insane.
I'm one of the contributors you speak of buddy. I shelled out $8k in federal and state income tax last year alone. And I'd rather get that stuff then stupid wars, Lockheed Martin/Raytheon and military bases in every single freaking country

Old 02-22-2017, 05:54 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Politics in a soundbite
Republican form = "What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours, don't trespass."
Every other form = "What's yours is mine, so shut up, sit down, pay and obey."
"What's yours is mine, what's mine is mine too....

If I shake your hand...better count your fingers"

- any Liberal politician.

(And Megadeth)

Old 02-22-2017, 05:54 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
I'm one of the contributors you speak of buddy. I shelled out $8k in federal and state income tax last year alone. And I'd rather get that stuff then stupid wars, Lockheed Martin/Raytheon and military bases in every single freaking country
I paid over $70K in federal and state taxes last year and had access to precisely the same government services you did. Please explain why I should pay 9X as much for the same thing?

Let me help. You can't. It's blatantly, unequivocally unfair that I pay more. And the sheer audacity of people like you whining about how MY money is redistributed is the epitome of arrogance and selfishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies