Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 01:27 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You do realize that there is a wide range between high achievers who come from old money and the working poor?

I know plenty of Joe Sixpacks who didn't spend everything they earned and were able to invest and save.

They're not filthy rich but they're comfortable. People who could retire at 55 because they lived within in their means.

We have a lot of people in this country(we all know a few) who have no concept of saving money. They have to have the $5 Starbucks every morning, the latest tech device, etc. But than whine when their car insurance is due because they put nothing aside.

I'm related to one....LOL. Husband and wife who between the two of them make $130K a year. No children, live in a rent controlled apt. outside NYC. They go to Europe frequently, when they want to ski going upstate NY isn't good enough, go out to Colorado. That's their choice, but there are a lot of people like this.

Some people are living paycheck to paycheck, others seem to have spend everything on "stuff".
I used to work with a couple, both making good money, that literally had expensive booze and ketchup in their fridge. Nothing else. They rented an expensive place and had to drive new BMWs. They both literally ate out every meal.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:31 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The reality is that as the economy is increasingly rigged in favor of the 400 families that fund most of the political campaigns in this country (legalized bribery which is celebrated by "conservatives"), most people simply cant succeed in an oligarchy.

The idea that taxes are theft like you claim and that no redistribution must happen (this means no public schools, no police, no public roads, no nothing, because it is all redistribution) is such an extremist position it boggles the mind that average Joe Sixpacks can believe this is great.
Incorrect. Taxation utilized to fund the military and build roads is NOT REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH. It is payment for goods and services. Redistribution of wealth is stealing from those who have, and giving it to those who don't.

Examples: Food stamps, free tuition, free hypodermic needles to take drugs, free or subsidized housing.

See how it works? Take the money from those who earn it. And give it to somebody else.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The bolded part. So you think people who are successful in life due to getting an education and working hard, should have some of their assets taken away to give those who don't have as much?
Yes I do. So did my father, who was one of those successful people you talk about

Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Nonsense. Most people are WORTH exactly what they have done with their lives. And the few that inherit wealth have a right to it and are just lucky. However they are rare. And most who inherit it lose it if they don't do something valuable with their lives.

Nonetheless, it is an injustice to "redistribute" aka steal, the wealth of others because you think you need it or just want it.

Conservatives want people to be free to build their value. There is no value without action and progress. You are not valuable by simply existing. And you have no right to steal the wealth of others because you choose not to be valuable yourself.

We live in a just country in a just world, where, if you decide that you are going to make yourself valuable, and take the logical and disciplined steps to execute a rational plan, it will probably happen. In fact, it will almost always happen to a good degree.

Forget the failure mongering of the Left, success and prosperity are available to anyone who wants it, and is willing to make himself valuable enough to earn it through focus, discipline, and rational steps from a rational plan.

I have formulated a term to describe this situation. I call it: $REALITY
Available to anyone does not equal available to everyon

Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 PM

778 posts, read 339,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
This is because most conservatives are well off and don't need goodies from the government.
That is total nonsense. Most conservatives are working class stiffs who want to be left alone and keep the money they earn to make a better life for themselves and their family instead of having the government take it and give things like free college and food stamps that leaches use to buy pizza and lap dances.

You liberals who are stuck in the '50's and think the democrat party is the party of the working class need to wake up and look at your fellow party members like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, all of Silicon Valley, Most of Hollywood and look at your party leaders like Nanc E. Pelosi and Hillary Clinton. Multimillionaires who haven't worked a real job ever!

Old 02-24-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Really? NYC only exists because of the Federal Government?
Name me ONE major city that exists without a government or public infrastructure....

Old 02-24-2017, 01:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I used to work with a couple, both making good money, that literally had expensive booze and ketchup in their fridge. Nothing else. They rented an expensive place and had to drive new BMWs. They both literally ate out every meal.
Exactly. Smart people have the mindset of keeping your overhead low. Nothing wrong with enjoying yourself, but how about you eat out once or twice a week, and do both need new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yes I do. So did my father, who was one of those successful people you talk about
I think people should give back to society in the way of charity or setting up non-profits.

The late actor Paul Newman started a line of food products which still are popular, all the money goes to the charity for seriously ill children.

Wealthy people also need to pay their fair share of taxes.

Not sure what you mean by redistribution of wealth though.

If someone works hard and is able to save up say $20,000, do you think they should hand over $5,000 to someone who spends everything they earn?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:52 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I am against the government stealing from one group of people and giving it to another....

Why aren't you?
So you were against the Wall St bailout?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Your father was wrong, and so are you. You are both advocating wanton immorality. If you don't like your value, increase it. That is the only moral option open to you, unless you want to be a thief.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your father was wrong, and so are you. You are both advocating wanton immorality. If you don't like your value, increase it. That is the only moral option open to you, unless you want to be a thief.
This country would look like Brazil with that philosophy, is that what you want? Favellas everywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies