Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 01:49 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

Although I saw offensive things in that video - I also saw non offensive things. People wishing you a nice evening or good day to me is not offensive. I pass people all the time and say Hi - Beautiful evening - Have a nice day - I hope the men don't think I'm coming on to them - it's just my nature.

I also don't take offense when someone tells me to smile - because a smile does brighten your day - so to me feminists are making too much of a lot of these things. I'm too old to get cat calls now - but like someone else said - it made me feel good to think someone thought I was attractive. Now the guys pacing the girl and being obnoxious yes was very rude but really these young woman have to get over a lot of this garbage. It's not hurting you physically and really is not hurting you psychologically. Take the compliments while you can - there will come a time no one notices you!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:55 PM

421 posts, read 205,048 times
This is all "much ado about nothing"

As if women didn't pull similar stunts regarding guys they find attractive , the only difference is you ladies are much more "subtle" about it (while guys tend to flirt more openly)

I've had stranger women I don't even know message me unexpectedly thru Skype and Facebook with a flirty message, did it bother me? Nope, not at all

It's rarer, but on the few occasions an unknown woman has openly flirted with me in the real world I wasn't offended either, rather I thought it was cute I've found that women in real life are rather clumsy regarding actually opening a conversation/initiating contact with a guy, I'm guessing because it's something they have no experience with and have almost never done their entire life (as guys initiate everything, do all the talking, etc).

To be honest, even when an unattractive woman has flirted with me I wasn't offended at all. I just thought it was cute and got on with my day.

Maybe the male brain and female brain are wired differently, because I've NEVER heard of any other grown hetero/normal man being "offended" by flirting/attention from females. Females are certainly much more "picky" then men, so perhaps that explains this stark difference in reactions to being complimented or flirted with.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:03 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
OK - I was just doing some research. That girl was hired by an independent company to walk the streets of NY so that they could do a film on sexism. She was paid approximately $80. In all those hours - this is the best they could do with after editing to show cat calls ect... The papers she signed said that this was a non profit project but after it was completed - they turned around and were selling this to whatever feminist group or new organization wanted it. There is now a court case brought about by the girl because they profited from it. Does it diminish what was recorded - no - but 10 minutes out of 10 hrs is a pretty small % of the type of behavior recorded.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
I think there is a bit of a disconnect here where some posters don't know what cat calling is. It is not flirting or trying to get a date. It's yelling lewd or obscene things to a stranger in passing.

Catcalling is to flirting like vomiting is to fine dining.

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
OK - I was just doing some research. That girl was hired by an independent company to walk the streets of NY so that they could do a film on sexism. She was paid approximately $80. In all those hours - this is the best they could do with after editing to show cat calls ect... The papers she signed said that this was a non profit project but after it was completed - they turned around and were selling this to whatever feminist group or new organization wanted it. There is now a court case brought about by the girl because they profited from it. Does it diminish what was recorded - no - but 10 minutes out of 10 hrs is a pretty small % of the type of behavior recorded.
None of which changes the fact that the offenders recorded are in fact d-bags.

778 posts, read 339,359 times
I remember walking across the parking lot on my way to work and then I hear cat-calling behind me and I ignored it. Finally the voice said "Hey [my last name] what do I have to do, put on a hard hat?" I turned around and it was my boss. I laughed at it. But I am a Texas Feminist and we can take a joke.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:32 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Why do think women are the most "desirable" when they are young? Once your looks are gone, you better have a backup plan. There is nothing wrong with pretty women "cashing in" on their greatest asset. Many dressed to GET NOTICED. You cannot control WHO does the noticing.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Women shouldn't feel that they're worth is based on how attractive they are. It's demeaning and it rejects the many things women can offer to our world. Dismissing this as "there's nothing wrong with attractive women" is basically endorsing it. I'm not some hyper feminist either; really, I actually don't ever call myself a feminist. But women should be viewed based on their abilities and their minds, not bodies.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:36 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Well, when you walk around in seedy areas in skin tight clothes essentially looking to attract this attitude, what did you expect? She is an idiot. It would be like some white guy walking into a known criminal areas with heavy black populations and wearing a racist T-Shirt and then going on about how black people are accosting innocent white people for walking down the street.

This woman was called out for her sexist baiting video years ago.
You're comparing how she's dressed to someone wearing a racist shirt? She's dressed like people dress all the time. Most people don't wear intentionally racist shirts. Getting a negative reaction to both of these cannot be reasonably compared.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
No guy is getting dates from cat-calling at a girl unless she is a prostitute. Maybe you should re-word your question for this guy.
Nope. I worded it exactly as I meant it.

Point being, the end game in catcalling surely cannot be getting dates.

It's harassing women.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:49 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
When I was 13 years old, this guy (maybe 40's) would drive his white car by me, staring at me. He would slow down and just stare at me. It felt creepy. It felt different than guys who whistled at me, as I walked down the street. Back to the guy: One day, as he passed me, he would stare at me through his rear-view mirror and drove really slow. I turned around and looked at him, looking at me and he was staring so hard in the mirror, that he crashed his car in a low bearing wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies