Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:23 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
they would create new homegrown drugs and there would be more alcoholics - the people who do NOT want to live in a real world- won't
I really doubt that. People who want to use, already are. Regardless of legality or not, those that DON'T use, or don't want to use, won't. If things were to overnight become legal doesn't mean there would be a free for all of people running out to use drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 12:25 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Well, legalization may sound like a simple solution but it will not necessarily put the cartels and the street drug dealers out of business. With legalization the price of any legalized drug will be much higher because of the regulations that will most likely come along, so that will only create an opportunity for the cartels and street drug dealers to sell their drugs at a much lower price.
That's really not true, just look at the cannabis prices in places that have legalized for adult recreational use.

The high price comes because it IS illegal, it is prohibited, it is smuggled and the market demand drives the cost. Further from the source = more $$$. More demand, more $$$.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Well, legalization may sound like a simple solution but it will not necessarily put the cartels and the street drug dealers out of business. With legalization the price of any legalized drug will be much higher because of the regulations that will most likely come along, so that will only create an opportunity for the cartels and street drug dealers to sell their drugs at a much lower price.
In what bizzaro world does DRASTICALLY reducing the implicit risk in a business INCREASE the cost of the services provided by the business? Does not compute, not logical.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:08 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
What Wiould Happen If The Use Of Illegal Narcotics Stopped?

If no one used Illegal Drugs anymore, this would be the TV show to win an Emmy Award every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhObKKvzijc

Old 02-23-2017, 03:20 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
I was not talking about the prohibition we saw in the 1930s and the problems that resulted from it, and yes I agree prohibition of alcohol would bring bigger problems, and we see the results of modern day prohibition of dangerous narcotics.

I wasn't around in the late 1940s and the mid 1950s, when America's inner cities didn't have the problems we see today, but I was a young kid in the late 1960s and I saw a different culture emerge in our society that basically said that it was okay to use drugs.
I don't think anyone is saying it's okay to use drugs. The laws, and propaganda moved public sentiment away from drugs. We had cocaine in coca cola at one point. No more marijuana since it allows blacks and hispanics to steal the white women. It wasn't out in the open.
There is more information out now about the effects and what is or isn't dangerous and to what extent.

If you want to understand why drugs are in our culture just look at our government. The biggest drug dealer in America. Good ole oxycodone pill mills. More people die from prescription drugs than automobile accidents.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The economy would drop... drug dealers at the top of the food chain spend money of high end stuff...
sigh.... The money would be spent elsewhere. Just not on drugs

Old 02-23-2017, 08:40 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
The FBI and CIA would have to find other ways to fund clandestine operations.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Be a lot of people detoxing and trading illegally scripted pain killers.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 AM

29,437 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
I watched a series of documentaries about narcotics and the people who run, or used to run the large cartels, like Pablo Escobar, Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzman, and the others who are the heads of such cartels, and I thought of this hypothetical scenario, if everyone in the United States and Canada were to quit using illegal narcotics, like cocaine, methamphetamines, maybe even marijuana, and others, the market for them would dry up, and we could subsequently see:

- Mexican and South American drug cartels go out of business
- Drug dealers in large cities like Chicago, Detroit and Los Angeles would have to find something else to do
- There would be a significant reduction in violent crime related to drug trafficking
- It would not give juveniles in the inner cities the incentive to pursue a life of crime
- It would free up resources in law enforcement agencies to focus on other issues

In any market when there's no demand, then those who supply the market would go out of business. Yes, I know this is not something that would happen overnight and it would take a while to realize the positive results, but it's a start to help regain control of the problems in our large cities that are caused by those who deal and use illegal narcotics.

What do you think?

I think we would see even more violence in the inner cities. Those dealers that are now without income will seek out other ways for it. Kidnapping, theft, prostitution, human trafficking would all go up.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
That's really not true, just look at the cannabis prices in places that have legalized for adult recreational use.

The high price comes because it IS illegal, it is prohibited, it is smuggled and the market demand drives the cost. Further from the source = more $$$. More demand, more $$$.
With weed being legal in states, the discussion would be government run vs free market. The point being government run doesn't lower the costs.
Since when do regulations and taxes make prices lower? Colorado has taxes on weed that start at ~25% before local taxes hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies