Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

As a third party voter obviously Republicans and Democrats are always going to be a part of the same boat to me but there are just so many similarities its just strange!

Both are big on fixing the nations infrastructure.

Both are big on getting rid of undocumented immigrants, Obama deported record amount of undocumented immigrants, he even had Israeli contractors help with security on our southern border. Trump of course wants to build a huge wall.

Both banned humans from a select number of middle east countries from entering the United States.

Even all the supporters are the same to me, i remember when Obama was elected Conservatives went on and on about every move the poor man made, they would watch his every move and critique him on everything, he couldn't even enjoy a game of golf.

Now i'm watching Liberals with the same obsession, watching every move Trump makes and even going after his family... i remember not too long ago watching CNN and they were literally talking about Trump eating KFC with a fork.
on the bottom of the screen you see sub headlines scrolling of a gas attack that killed 30 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
No, you're not the only one who's noticed this. I've been saying it for some time that most things you read about in the news is just noise.

When all the dust settles, there really isn't that much difference between most presidents/politicians. They all have to deal with the same kinds of issues. In the end, the results of their policies also look pretty similar. Obama's style was just quieter and Trump's is more raucous.

Also, Obama and Trump actually seem to like one another on a personal and professional level.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:08 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Other than both men being narcissists with tremendous self-confidence while at the same time possessing fragile egos, I don't see much in common between the two men policy or personality wise.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
As a third party voter obviously Republicans and Democrats are always going to be a part of the same boat to me but there are just so many similarities its just strange!

Both are big on getting rid of undocumented immigrants, Obama deported record amount of undocumented immigrants, he even had Israeli contractors help with security on our southern border. Trump of course wants to build a huge wall.

Both banned humans from a select number of middle east countries from entering the United States.

Even all the supporters are the same to me, i remember when Obama was elected Conservatives went on and on about every move the poor man made, they would watch his every move and critique him on everything, he couldn't even enjoy a game of golf.

Now i'm watching Liberals with the same obsession, watching every move Trump makes and even going after his family... i remember not too long ago watching CNN and they were literally talking about Trump eating KFC with a fork.
on the bottom of the screen you see sub headlines scrolling of a gas attack that killed 30 people.
I think that supporter bases can be similar. Especially the ones who are really sort of cultist in their devotion.

Cult of personality, as it were.

But, the key difference I see is that Obama was a bit more... deliberative? Not so eager to jump out there, say whatever, whenever, first thing out of his mouth... take on a bunch of cabinet members who had no idea what they were doing, etc.

He seemed to be willing to accept counsel of people with more experience than him.

I am glad that Trump, at the least, is willing to take some sort of counsel from people with more military experience, even if he's very disappointing in his domestic choices for cabinet members.

I just wish he'd quit saying random crap like how he could just "blow up a ship."

Good grief, man. You're the PRESIDENT. Everyone knows how many nukes we have here. It's no secret that we could blow a good many things up, but whether we should or not is the issue.

So, why talk about it?

I am also not keen on him winging it during speeches. Yeah.. he doesn't need to sound like he's a Rhodes Scholar, but would it kill him to have some index cards now and then?

Would also rather he not get his news from tabloid TV. He is the PRESIDENT. He has a wealth of information at his fingertips via briefings that should not be slanted the way that TV programs are... attend briefings.

Drop the TV remote.

Scale back the tweets.

These are things I see about him that differ from Obama, even though many of both men's most rabid supporters may have behaved in similar ways.

It's a bit like being really crazy about Elvis vs being really crazy about Wayne Newton. One of those seems logical. The other seems more suspect.

Does not mean the obsessed fans aren't odd, no matter their choice of obsession.

And... no.... not all people who voted for Trump are obsessed fans.

I swear, I have to add disclaimers to everything I say, lest someone take offense.

*sigh*

Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I don't see much in common between the two at all besides they are the male sex, they are married, and they have daughters.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Obama even recently said, "Don't underestimate Donald Trump. He's going to be the 45th President of the United States."

But the left must have been perplexed when Obama said this, or they just ignored it. :-)

Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't see much in common between the two at all besides they are the male sex, they are married, and they have daughters.
and they hate would be Americans trying to make a decent living in a rich multicultural country.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

I agree, but maybe this is just the new politics in the age of social media. People are more partisan than ever, and supporters dig in their heals more than ever while the opposing side digs in their's.

As to the part in bold, I always think of this meme when I see the actual important news in the news crawl while the talking heads are discussing pop culture or some idiocy:

Am i the only one who sees so many similarities between Obama & Trump?-news-meme.jpeg

Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 AM

I agree RedZin, both different personalities and ways of expressing their beliefs for sure..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies