Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:42 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Well - her run at ESPN was nice while it lasted...

ESPN's Sage Steele: The Worst Racism I Receive Comes From Black People

Steele called African-Americans hypocritical and said that 99 percent of the racist comments she receives are from people with her skin color.

“The worst racism that I have received [as a biracial woman married to white man], and I mean thousands and thousands over the years, is from black people, who in my mind thought would be the most accepting because there has been that experience. But even as recent as the last couple of weeks, the words that I have had thrown at me I can’t repeat here and it’s 99 percent from people with my skin color. But if a white person said those words to me, what would happen?”
She is sharing her experience as a bi-racial woman married to a white man.

All I can add is there are racists of all colors out there. Most of the focus is from one direction. Steele says it gets to be hypocritical because they people giving her a hard time and blaming others, but don't look in the mirror at their own behavior. I agree. We should all examine ourselves first before looking to others in asking them to change what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:19 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
I'm amazed at the amount of adults who don't know the difference between being racist and being prejudice.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
I have a girlfriend who is half white and half black; she married a white man and honestly, she dated a lot of very dark skinned black men in the past.

I agree with the above poster, there are differences between prejudice and racism. I think it is pretty sad that she has to experience something like this, I wish people can just stop paying attention to everybody's romantic choices. It is really nobody's businesses.

My friend is a great girl who loves everyone, and she views herself as a bi-racial woman. (Exactly what she is) Nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:09 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I'm amazed at the amount of adults who don't know the difference between being racist and being prejudice.
why don't you explain the difference for us with examples?

Old 02-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
why don't you explain the difference for us with examples?
The black people who don't approve of her relationship with a white man, or whatever hatred she claims they direct towards her way is a judgment of her and her choices, hence prejudice. If said "black" people were in a position of dominance and the majority and were preventing her from getting a job, housing, a car, access to healthcare rooted in a judgment of her or hatred for her based on skin color, then it would be racism.

What she is facing from blacks (or from whomever) is prejudice, not racism.

I learned this...like...in high school.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Maybe her colleagues just don't like HER! Who knows.

But sure, black folks can be just as hateful as anyone else. Sounds like she's had a rough experience, but that's life.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
Quote:
The black people who don't approve of her relationship with a white man, or whatever hatred she claims they direct towards her way is a judgment of her and her choices, hence prejudice. If said "black" people were in a position of dominance and the majority and were preventing her from getting a job, housing, a car, access to healthcare rooted in a judgment of her or hatred for her based on skin color, then it would be racism.

I learned this...like...in high school.
There is no 'position of dominance' nonsense in the definition of racism.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:04 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times
she talking about name-calling by a few, not anything with power behind it. There are no industries or institutions in place ran by blacks that can effect her in real life. But I'll I can say is this story's kind of old, and there's some other stuff behind what she said that has a lot of black people telling her to kick rocks.

And we're on a roll today...another thread started in the spirit of blacks attacking other blacks. LOL.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:07 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times
Quote:

That's racism... not toward her but toward her husband. If her husband were black she wouldn't be the target of this garbage.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
There is no 'position of dominance' nonsense in the definition of racism.
Lol. The very core of racism is based in maintaining power and dominance over other groups, minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
That's racism... not toward her but toward her husband. If her husband were black she wouldn't be the target of this garbage.
No, it's prejudice, because there's no power dynamic. They don't like him because he's white, but it's a superficial disdain that doesn't hinder him in any personal or professional endeavors.

Again, these things are very elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies