Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Here are just a few areas.

-LGBT rights
-abortion
-creationism in science classes
-environmentalism/climate change denial
-marijuana prohibition
-religious monuments on public property

That is just scratching the surface. In red-state America, many times politicians sound like pastors more than public officials. They run on their qualifications of being strong, born-again Christians who will do whatever they can to oppose the gay agenda, oppose secularism in schools, and keep marijuana illegal, and they coast into office.
None of those, short of the religious monuments on public property are religious issues.

Some of them TOUCH on religion.. But, as a general conservative.. I have no problem with LGBT rights, though they should have no added protections over and above the standard citizen. Abortion.. That one.. I don't want to see a woman scraped more than a car in the walmart parking lot, but I also don't think it should be illegal. It just shouldn't be used as a primary method of birth control.

Environmentalism.. Nothing to do with religion whatsoever. The main problem with that is that the numbers seem to keep getting played with. You want people to believe you, put the numbers out and stick with them. If you say the ice caps will be melted in 2005 and it doesn't happen.. Expect people to think you're full of crap.

Marijuana.. I'm for legalization. tax it. I don't partake, so get me a good tax cut. There, of course, should be stringent laws regarding driving under the influence, and employers should still have the right to refuse employment to users.

Monuments.. This really is a church vs state issue. 10 Commandments on a courthouse.. I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, but it's probably over the line for separation of church and state. Schools outlawing Christmas.. Probably going a bit far. They don't have to encourage it, but they also shouldn't restrict it.

too many people think Freedom of Speech means there's a no consequences for what you say.

Let me point out the guy who berated a Chick-Fil-A employee at the drive thru a few years ago.. Fired, living in a box the last I heard (Not THAT bad, but close).. Government didn't persecute(or prosecute) him for what he said.. But society did. And the 1st amendment doesn't protect you from society.

Dixie Chicks.. When they ran their mouths.. Pretty much ended them as a band. Government didn't have anything to do with that.

Who's this Milo person from Breitbart? Government isn't doing a thing to him about his comments. The fact he's been booted from about everything has nothing to do with Freedom of Speech. It has to do with the consequences of exercising his Freedom of Speech.

Freedom of Speech means there are no legal ramifications for saying what you say. It doesn't mean that everyone has to listen or accept or like what you say. And.. Technically, Freedom of Speech has been weakened a bit. "Fire" in a crowded movie theater, etc...

end-arounds on limiting these freedoms.. I'm not overly a fan of. Freedom of Religion is a good example. You've probably heard of the snake handling religions, which many localities have banned the snake handling part by ordinance. Which they justify by saying it applies to everyone. If they're not hurting others with it.. I tend to disagree with the attempts to legislate it out.

God love 'em.. The people who seem to get all this the most are the Mormons. Outside of a few fringe members who still practice polygamy. I went to see "The Book of Mormon" a few weeks ago.. Friggin' hilarious.. And right there in the playbill is a full page ad from the LDS church with the header "Our version is sliiiiiightly different"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 01:07 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Conservatives claim they love the Constitution and specifically the Second Amendment. Yet, they try to chip away at the First Amendment every chance they get, which is the exact thing they criticize the Left for doing to the Second Amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

What is so difficult about this for conservatives to understand? This means that whatever your religious beliefs are, they cannot be enforced by law. They try to sidestep it by saying that the founding fathers only meant protection of Christian denominations and not all religion, or that they would have worded it differently if they could have looked down the tunnel of time to see are religiously pluralistic society today. If your only basis for a policy is "because the Bible says so", that doesn't cut it according to the Constitution.

How is that different from what they accuse liberals of doing with the Second Amendment? People on the left tend to argue that the founders couldn't have imagined the type of weapons available today and therefore some weapons shouldn't be covered under the Second Amendment. Believe it or not, I actually agree with conservatives on the Second Amendment. The Constitution says what it says and if we want to change it, we need to amend it instead of re-interpreting it. However, I apply that same standard to the First Amendment. I shouldn't be required by law to abide by the rules of a deity I don't believe in. I want my kids, if I ever have them, to learn science in science class and not magic. Every person has the right to live out their faith or lack of, but their right stops when it infringes on the rights of others to do the same thing. Why doesn't the right understand this?
What law have they made establishing a certain Religion and forcing you to accept it?

Old 02-22-2017, 01:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
How many businesses have actually turned down a gay couple and for those who have, how many have actually been sued for it?
Arguing it's small issue goes both ways and it's not the baker that initiated the lawsuit. The gay couple always had freedom to get their cake baked, the baker is now left with no choice. Again, freedom is a two way street and that is not a two way street.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Conservatives claim they love the Constitution and specifically the Second Amendment. Yet, they try to chip away at the First Amendment every chance they get, which is the exact thing they criticize the Left for doing to the Second Amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

What is so difficult about this for conservatives to understand? This means that whatever your religious beliefs are, they cannot be enforced by law. They try to sidestep it by saying that the founding fathers only meant protection of Christian denominations and not all religion, or that they would have worded it differently if they could have looked down the tunnel of time to see are religiously pluralistic society today. If your only basis for a policy is "because the Bible says so", that doesn't cut it according to the Constitution.

How is that different from what they accuse liberals of doing with the Second Amendment? People on the left tend to argue that the founders couldn't have imagined the type of weapons available today and therefore some weapons shouldn't be covered under the Second Amendment. Believe it or not, I actually agree with conservatives on the Second Amendment. The Constitution says what it says and if we want to change it, we need to amend it instead of re-interpreting it. However, I apply that same standard to the First Amendment. I shouldn't be required by law to abide by the rules of a deity I don't believe in. I want my kids, if I ever have them, to learn science in science class and not magic. Every person has the right to live out their faith or lack of, but their right stops when it infringes on the rights of others to do the same thing. Why doesn't the right understand this?
There has never been a problem with the freedom of religion outlined in the First Amendment, we allowed all Christian denominations, Jews, and people of other faiths to practice what they believed in, even athiests. The problem arises when somebody preaches killing others who do not share their religious values, ie radical Islamists. Muslims have been welcomed here for a long time and we never had any problems with them until recently. When you have individuals who want to cut your throat, kill people at random just because we are American Christians, and force their sharia beliefs down our throats, then that's a problem and we need to make sure those people STAY OUT of our country.

Staying with our traditional Christian values will be one way to ensure the preservation of our Constitution.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:04 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Funny how people on the religious right always throw this out there.

Murder is taking another human being's life and is considered evil across religious and cultural lines.

I don't understand how the religious right comes to the conclusion that laws marginalizing people for who they love or preventing people from smoking a joint or sanctioning Christianity in public schools are equivalent to laws against murder and rape...actual crimes that hurt people.
why are you caterwauling about 'the religious right'? i'm an atheist.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:10 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah... people can play free and easy with ideas like freedom of speech, the press, and assembly because they know they're in charge and they like what is being said and done.
Kind of like when the left voted on taking people's health care away....like that kind of in charge? Or how about making bathrooms unsafe for children.......that was a real raw deal coming from the group that loves everyone.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:18 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:

I haven't seen any of this coming from the Conservatives who is claiming this?

Old 02-22-2017, 02:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
I agree that it's silly for either "side" to paint the other with too broad of a brush. But, it's funny how most of the conservatives who replied, seem to lean libertarian. Let's not kid ourselves that we don't know that a large number of (but not all!!!) conservatives are conservative, because they're Christian.

My aunt is a fundamentalist Christian. She--and my uncle--won't even use mouth wash, because they refuse to let alcohol into their body. One of the main reasons she voted for Trump, is because he would appoint at least one conservative judge to the Supreme Court. She fully expects the SCOTUS to overturn same sex marriage, and maybe even Roe v. Wade, because we're "a Christian nation."

Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I agree that it's silly for either "side" to paint the other with too broad of a brush. But, it's funny how most of the conservatives who replied, seem to lean libertarian. Let's not kid ourselves that we don't know that a large number of (but not all!!!) conservatives are conservative, because they're Christian.

My aunt is a fundamentalist Christian. She--and my uncle--won't even use mouth wash, because they refuse to let alcohol into their body. One of the main reasons she voted for Trump, is because he would appoint at least one conservative judge to the Supreme Court. She fully expects the SCOTUS to overturn same sex marriage, and maybe even Roe v. Wade, because we're "a Christian nation."
This.

The libertarian-type conservatives are more the exception rather than the rule from my experience. Most conservatives ARE the evangelical fundamentalist conservatives who want to do all these things plus some. They say they are for small government, but want to chip away at religious freedom.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
She fully expects the SCOTUS to overturn same sex marriage, and maybe even Roe v. Wade, because we're "a Christian nation."
Not going to happen but we may see the baker/Sisters of the Poor type cases change course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies