Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:51 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The "will" of the American people ELECTED Trump and his agenda.
you mean the will of Putin

Old 02-24-2017, 10:57 AM

97 posts, read 124,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
you mean the will of Putin

A swing and a miss

you gonna need a bigger bat boy

Old 02-24-2017, 11:00 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The only people who should have a say about the border wall are the Americans who live within 50 miles of it. You don't poll all of America about the New York subway system.
American taxpayers as a whole aren't paying for the NYC subway system, but they will be paying for Trump's stupid wall. Therfore, we should all get a say.

Border states have been polled BTW, but I don't think you're going to like the results:

Donald Trump's Border Wall Unpopular With Arizonans by Wide Margin | Phoenix New Times

OMG, time to play the "fake news" card for the 6 billionth time!

Old 02-24-2017, 12:42 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Feel free to believe 345% of the respondents were Dems

You are too easy to fool.
Being YOU created TWO threads on this pol you SHOULD KNOW that it was a typo and SHOULD KNOW the numbers the pol gave FAVOR dems over repubs in who they polled.

Or did you NOT even look at the people polled because you like their numbers?

It is NOTED that you had NO comment on the first thread you started using this pol where I had the numbers CORRECTLY WITHOUT the typo.

Why is that?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Reported by conservative "The Hill".

Will the admin listen to the will of American people? Sadly, I don't think they give a rip.

Poll: Majority of voters oppose border wall, ObamaCare repeal | TheHill

A majority of voters in the U.S. are opposed to several policies proposed by President Trump and congressional Republicans, including building a border wall and repealing ObamaCare, according to a new poll.

Six in 10 say they oppose building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, the president's foremost campaign promise, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday.

Only 37 percent support building a wall on the border. The percentage of voters opposed to the proposal increases to 65 percent if the U.S. has to pay for it, and 33 percent would support such a proposal.

Slightly more than half of respondents, 54 percent, are also against repealing the Affordable Care Act, and 43 percent support the repeal
The hill reported it, but they did not conduct the poll; look at who did and then tell us how accurate you really think it is? Of course we all know what you will say, just like the polls you trusted that assured the left they would have a wonderful female President by the initials: HC

Old 02-24-2017, 03:00 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
"A poll" lol.

Im in favor of the wall but I think itd be better to just let obamacare continue to fail instead of saving it by repeal.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:06 PM

97 posts, read 124,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
"A poll" lol.

Im in favor of the wall but I think itd be better to just let obamacare continue to fail instead of saving it by repeal.

Agreed. Let it go 1-2 more years, and the Dims will be begging Trump and Congress to fix it.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:30 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
I think the poll on November 8 said that voters approve of the border wall and obamacare repeal.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:33 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I didn't say amnesty. I said pathway to citizenship. If that means paying a substantial fine, then fine. Do that. If that means mandatory service in the military, then do that. But impose a penalty for the fact that they broke the law.

The problem with no wall + no deportations + no pathway to citizenship = we remain in permanent Limboland. Illegals continue to take jobs that pay under the table, most of them for less than minimum wage. It also allows employers to be exploitative -- free to screw them any which way they like. Wanna be free to fire people at anytime for any reason no matter how trivial? Hire illegals. This gives them a massively unfair competitive advantage over American citizens and legal residents. It also creates a subclass of workers that are routinely screwed over in every which way. They can't complain because they don't want to get deported. And they routinely use social programs, hospitals and other stuff that are funded by taxpayer dollars without paying into the system themselves. The status quote on illegal immigration, everyone (except shady exploitative employers) lose in a big way.

The quotas we have are largely a mix of xenophobia, general paranoia, with a few good intentions thrown in there as well. If we want to continue with quotas, we need them to make sense.

As long as you do this:

Then people who want to get here will do these sorts of things:

The most powerful entity finding ways around every barrier or other attempt to stop the illegals is The War on Drugs. There's a lot of money to be made smuggling drugs in, therefore enterprising smugglers will always find a way, and coyotes and anyone sneaking in for any other reason will make use of what the drug smugglers come up with. I'm all in favor of securing our borders. We ought to know who is here. Keeping up the War on Drugs and quotas as presently instituted make that impossible. I'm not entirely sure that I want to open things up 100%. It's possible that there is a better number to allow in that would work. But clearly, the present numbers aren't working.

If an immigrant can get here and is competing on a level playing field then I welcome it. American workers have the advantage. They speak the language and know the culture. But if there is a surplus of jobs that Americans simply aren't taking -- which does happen at times -- then immigrants will get those jobs. If they are better qualified than Americans, then they'll get some high-end jobs as well. But the thing that immigration-paranoid folks never seem to get is this: If somebody gets here, gets a job and starts paying taxes, that person doesn't just take away jobs. He or she pays rent, buys a house, buys a car, buys food, buys clothing, buys everything else everybody else buys. That creates more jobs. In general, newly arriving immigrants that are productive members of society create as many jobs as they take.

The limiting factor I'm suggesting is legal employment for a year. Wanna make it two years? Three years? I'd be okay with that. The point is that if you can get here and you can demonstrate yourself to be a productive member of society, then you should be welcomed. If there is a shortage of jobs, then they can't come. If there's a surplus then then can. Simple.

First they have to be legalized in order to be eligible for citizenship. Surely you know this. Anything that doesn't include returning to their homelands to apply to come back legally is indeed amnesty even with fines, etc.

E-verify, the border wall and denying their kids birthright citizenship and any benefits would have illegal immigration down to a trickle. Much easier to stop them at the border than for them to get in here where they are much harder to root out and the ensuing costs of removing them. Criminals, drug cartels aren't interested in jobs another good reason for the wall.

Our quotas are based on xenophobia? Are you not aware that Mexicans and other Latinos enjoy the largest quotas by far for legal immigration into our country? Our quotas are already based on our needs without it negatively impacting our own citizens in regards to job opportunities for them, social and natural resources while keeping population growth in mind. So why would you change that? We have no shortage of good Americans workers who are willing to work for a fair wage. Now you're changing the topic to legal immigrants. We don't need a border wall to keep them out but we do need to control their numbers for the same reason we need to keep out illegal aliens.

So you are for unlimited immigration just as long as they can get here? Are you for real? As for job opportunities they are limited and that's why we have quotas in the first place. You're not making any sense here.

Immigrants legal or illegal tend to hire their own kind not American workers so you're off base there also. Americans are quite capable of opening businesses and hiring Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies