Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Legalize nationally 132 57.89%
Ban nationally 20 8.77%
Let states decide; federal government shouldn't interfere 76 33.33%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 07:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
It's about time they enforced the law. Recreational marijuana is nothing more than buying votes, and putting people in peril. Two good reasons for enforcement.
The choice belongs to each individual adult. Does anyone in their right mind think that because something becomes legal there will be a mad rush to do it? We know from studies in Portugal use rose slightly at first them went down.

No ones rights have been violated, THAT is the reason for stopping enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:51 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Gotta make the Bible thumpers happy...

I wonder if we ever will have separation of church and state in this country. Why should everybody be forced to live by the rules of a deity they don't believe in? Plus, didn't God create the cannabis plant and call it good (Genesis 1:29)?

On the other side of this, maybe enforcement is what is necessary to force Congress' hand. While Oklahoma the rest of Baptistan will be ecstatic about this decision, most of progressive, open-minded America as well as more libertarian red states will not be.

LOL. Reminds me of some Graffiti I read on the wall in the John at ISU in 1972.................

"Man made booze; God made Grass; Who you gonna trust?"

Old 02-23-2017, 07:53 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
There were no ganja smokers that voted for Trump.

Enough said.

You would be surprised...........

Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's not true, they could just move weed up to Schedule IV or Schedule V from it's current ridiculous Schedule I

I mean, even cocaine and meth are Schedule II ffs
I'd agree especially considering this stymies medical study of it but also keep in mind the Obama admin had 8 years to initiate proceedings to get it moved.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Former pothead here

Thanks for the laugh

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's habit forming being that 1 in 4 people that smoke weed habitually smoke it. I smoked a 10 sack a day for almost a decade. Once I quit, it was easy to stay away from, but quitting weed was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. Add to this the fact that I lost a lot of friends in the process. One thing that you'll find about quitting weed is how many drug based relationships you have. It's crazy when I look back and see what most of those people are doing these days. Most of them still burn all day and work dead end jobs. It's like groundhogs day for some of these poor saps.

Anyways......no, just no man LOL
A pot smoker that says he smoked a "10 sack" a day, is no pot smoker. That really sounds like somebody who picked up some lingo from a bad ghetto movie and is trying to sound hip. EVEN if this crap is true, what kind of life is somebody leading when it and their relationships revolve around weed? Who does that? Sounds to me like there were other, deeply rooted psychological issues at play. Either that or the poster was 13 when he had his marijuana "addiction"

This is not the behavior of most people I know who use marijuana medically OR recreationally. Most are casual users 2 - 3 times a week. Even the heavy users I know don't smoke more than a joint or occasionally 2 a night. Then again, I don't know any adolescents.

Maybe Trump has buddies that own some private prisons. Lord knows, they LOVE draconian pot laws.

Here's where he was in early November: Where Donald Trump stands on weed legalization - Business Insider

Which I'll quote in part: "Recently, Trump has supported state's rights to choose how to legislate medical marijuana, but has not expressly called for legalization.

"In terms of marijuana and legalization, I think that should be a state issue, state-by-state," Trump told The Washington Post. "… Marijuana is such a big thing. I think medical should happen — right? Don’t we agree? I think so. And then I really believe we should leave it up to the states."

He has also expressed support for medical marijuana, telling Bill O'Reilly in February that he's, "in favor of medical marijuana 100%."

How do you enforce federal law on one aspect of marijuana and ignore another?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, it isn't.
If the current AG ignored a state that started segregation practices again you would you still be suggesting they haven't changed the law?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If the current AG ignored a state that started segregation practices again you would you still be suggesting they haven't changed the law?
Interestingly enough, Ronuld Raygun was in favor of racial segregation and is on the record as having said so... just saying

Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think Trump likes the idea of states rights except for when he doesn't like the idea of state rights?
You are confusing codified federal law with an Obama directive.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:01 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Wow, PLEASE don't burn-up time, resources and energy on this issue!!!

Old 02-23-2017, 08:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No, because they haven't. The law is still on the books, right where it always was, and the regulations promulgated as a result of that law have probably not gone anywhere either.

I would be finding out why they weren't doing it, and would probably join in with people urging them to shift their priorities.

This isn't rocket science.

You are head of X agency. You have 20 employees in charge of implementing 50 laws on an annual budget of $100,000 (totally made up numbers).

If employee A is working on implementing law #1, which the legislature and the governor/president has told you is your top priority, then there are 49 other laws that employee A is not dealing with, and 19 employees to work on the other 49 laws. You don't have legislative approval (and therefore, you don't have the budget) to hire any more employees. You figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies