Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Legalize nationally 132 57.89%
Ban nationally 20 8.77%
Let states decide; federal government shouldn't interfere 76 33.33%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Like the laws against heroin, crack, and in support of abortion, homosexuality, are overlooked? Not really.

I fully support President Trump in whichever direction he wants to go.
There shouldn't be laws against heroin, crack or homosexuality (which is no one's effing business but the two individuals involved).

"Blaming" consumers of the drug doesn't do anything. Legalization of marijuana has been proven to reduce street-level drug dealers, which in turn reduces violence.

Also, plenty of dumb laws that either aren't enforced or have no merit - Dumb Laws in United States. Crazy United States Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
There is no way they are going to do anything. No way do they strip away all the tax revenue and jobs. It's more righteous grandstanding to keep sections of his base happy. Nothing more.
Don't be so sure with Attorney General Jeff Sessions in office now. Here's what he has said about marijuana:

"Good people don’t smoke marijuana. We need grown-ups in charge in Washington to say marijuana is not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized... that it is, in fact, a very real danger."

He would like nothing more than to shut down legalization in any states that have passed it. And Trump picking him for AG signaled where this administration was heading.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
There is no way they are going to do anything. No way do they strip away all the tax revenue and jobs. It's more righteous grandstanding to keep sections of his base happy. Nothing more.
I hope you're right.

But I fear that you are wrong.

1) Trump appointed a hard-line drug warrior to be AG. Now I don't believe that Trump himself cares very much about marijuana. I think that Pence is giving him his short list for cabinet appointees, and this is part of the deal Trump made to get Pence as his running mate. And Trump needed someone like Pence in order to get evangelical turnout.

2) All Trump has to do is make a very simple announcement - "My administration will continue the Holder agreement." How much effort would that be?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post

Also, medical marijuana is a joke just like your post peter pot-smoker. Once weed is legalized for recreational use nationally, medical marijuana will be the equivalent of medical booze. (I'm a drunk, so booze makes me feel better for my random ailment)
LMAO

Maybe you should grow up and do something with your life instead of wasting it by smoking the pot kid. This is why you're in the situation you're in. It's because you don't make good decisions.
Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Many medical marijuana breeds have a low THC content (which is what makes you high) and a high CBD content.

My 70 year old father has been getting MMJ infused lotion to soothe his arthritis in his hands -- it helps enough that he is actually able to go bowling again.

CBD, the medicinal effect in Marijuana has been shown to help major issues like seizures, epilepsy, Tourette's, and Parkinsons.

But sure, it's all about these people getting stoned

Old 02-24-2017, 11:27 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I have a chronic health issue but I live in a state that has a too narrow for medical mj ~ my fellow suffers in other states are getting better I continue to sink

Old 02-24-2017, 11:30 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It wouldn't be if evangelicals had their way. Oklahoma only recently legalized tattoos.

One Oklahoma state representative summed up the Republican view on "personal freedom" better than I've heard it from anybody else. It says "liberty is not doing what you want to do but what you ought to do". So basically true freedom is letting the Baptist church dictate everything you can or cannot do in your personal life. Doesn't sound like freedom to me, but that's what evangelicals think it is.
Is that a joke or did Oklahoma really just legalize tattoos? If that's true, they probably wouldn't legalize marijuana for another hundred years if ever.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:36 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be if evangelicals had their way. Oklahoma only recently legalized tattoos.

One Oklahoma state representative summed up the Republican view on "personal freedom" better than I've heard it from anybody else. It says "liberty is not doing what you want to do but what you ought to do". So basically true freedom is letting the Baptist church dictate everything you can or cannot do in your personal life. Doesn't sound like freedom to me, but that's what evangelicals think it is.
That's just too - well, words fail me.

Except to wonder how a person gets through life with such a big stick insertion.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Except to wonder how a person gets through life with such a big stick insertion.
More likely jammed a whole bible up there.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
It is not under the Feds purview unless such is being sold across the states and only then are they to insure that trade is regular and consistent without issues between the states.

Those who vote for the feds forcing legalization (or keeping it illegal) are yet again showing they do not understand the legal authority and role of the federal government and this is why the federal government will continue to hold its power over the states and the people.

/shrug

Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
It would be nice to see it legalized nationally, but I don't see it happening. Specially interest groups, especially the religious right, oppose it too strongly. I think you could get a legalization bill through the House but the Senate would be a lot more difficult. My guess is we will soon be going back to nationwide prohibition. Next time Democrats control all three branches of government, we can talk about legalizing again.

I am of the opinion that one need only follow the money to find the TRUE opposition to decriminalizing drug possession, sale and use. I genuinely believe the opposition comes from those in government, justifying the spending and the growth of spending with their never ending war on drugs, profits from a prison industrial complex, profits from stealing from ordinary people's income and wealth via a justice system that claims to protect society from the choices of We The People, and ever expanding government taking to justify larger police forces and drug agencies.

I honestly don't think I could come up with a better way to continually take from society than to proclaim something illegal that some will do regardless of the proclamation, then use that as justification to constantly raise taxes to fund ever growing departments, agencies and branches of government... all in the name of "protecting society" from those evil people who, were the action not illegal, would pretty much be only harming themselves by their own choices and actions.

The entire concept of a war on drugs, in essence a war on individual choice, is antithetical to LIBERTY and the very founding of this great nation.

But then again, that's just MY opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies