Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 06:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You still need to have a basic level of English, math, critical thinking, and technical skills when you get the job. Many people don't even have that. An employer can only be expected to do so much. If the people applying can't even get to the point where they can understand and apply the training material effectively or retain the training material for more than 7 days, then that's a problem.

I see that in my job every day. We have a training and then not 4 days later I'll get something to review and it's like the training I know they attended never even happened. Did they even listen to the training? Do they have the skill level needed to understand what was presented? I don't know.

The issue is that the employer doesn't have a responsibility to go back to the basics.
You can indeed quit hiring people and pack it in if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 06:55 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Whatever happened to on the job training? My grandfather worked for General Motors for many years as a machine mechanic. Everything was learned on the job. It seems companies expect "turn key" candidates who are ready to hit the ground running immediately.

Also vocational trades don't have the best ROI when it comes to education. A computer science major can make 70k starting. A trade apprenticeship has you working at low wages for many years, yet alone the physical wear and tear on the body over the years. It's no wonder kids would rather go to college. They saw their fathers and grandfathers popping opiates, and smoking and drinking to get thru their working days.

"Also vocational trades don't have the best ROI when it comes to education."

You made the claim, NOW back it up.

"They saw their fathers and grandfathers popping opiates, and smoking and drinking to get thru their working days."

I think this is a GREAT exaggeration of the issue.

What is your PERSONAL experience on this issue?

I have YEARS of personal experience on it and could NOT disagree MORE with you on your "perceptions".

You use too broad a brush.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I've explained why that is, but US liberals here on the forum always react with rage because the actual facts fly in the face of their ideology.

Read and learn:

How Scandinavian and European Countries Fund Their Generous Social Programs

The research from which that was taken, which was published in a peer-reviewed Professional (Economics) Journal:

http://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419
I think you're misinterpreting those results.

Countries like Switzerland and Denmark are statisically less-capable of having an effective progressive tax rate, since their poor are so much more educated/healthy/wealthy, thanks to their great social services. The floor is higher and the ceiling is lower.

Or put another way, since America has such terrible social services, we thus have so many poor, and our results become statistically skewed more progressive.

It isn't necessarily a difference in taxation systems, it is a difference in the type of populations the respective countries are taxing in the first place.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:00 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You still need to have a basic level of English, math, critical thinking, and technical skills when you get the job. Many people don't even have that. An employer can only be expected to do so much. If the people applying can't even get to the point where they can understand and apply the training material effectively or retain the training material for more than 7 days, then that's a problem.

I see that in my job every day. We have a training and then not 4 days later I'll get something to review and it's like the training I know they attended never even happened. Did they even listen to the training? Do they have the skill level needed to understand what was presented? I don't know.

The issue is that the employer doesn't have a responsibility to go back to the basics. It has to assume some basic level of competency. It can't be training on stuff like "A sentence has a subject and a verb" or teaching what "A can never be less than B" means. That should be basic knowledge employees picked up in middle school or high school. It also can't be teaching people that if the template is in Times New Roman font then they can't be using Calibri font or 17 fonts and it's not appropriate to have someone sitting there teaching them that they have to go up in MS Word each time to verify that the font is the same. That is also something they should have learned before they reached the employer. Those are just a sampling of the issues I see in my job, where I work with people who presumably have college-level educations.
"You still need to have a basic level of English, math, critical thinking, and technical skills'

FIRST, you have a technical aptitude.
I've seen people I wouldn't trust with a screwdriver.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:02 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Whatever happened to on the job training? My grandfather worked for General Motors for many years as a machine mechanic. Everything was learned on the job. It seems companies expect "turn key" candidates who are ready to hit the ground running immediately.

Also vocational trades don't have the best ROI when it comes to education. A computer science major can make 70k starting. A trade apprenticeship has you working at low wages for many years, yet alone the physical wear and tear on the body over the years. It's no wonder kids would rather go to college. They saw their fathers and grandfathers popping opiates, and smoking and drinking to get thru their working days.
Because you won't see too many in college popping opiates, and smoking and drinking right?

Old 02-25-2017, 07:02 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I think you're misinterpreting those results.

Countries like Switzerland and Denmark are statisically less-capable of having an effective progressive tax rate, since their poor are so much more educated/healthy/wealthy, thanks to their great social services.

Or put another way, since America has such terrible social services, we thus have so many poor, and our results become statistically skewed more progressive.
^^ All the bad math skills that have been discussed in this thread... here's Exhibit A.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:03 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Translation: Laid off coal miners and steel workers dont possess the skills needed to staff techinical/industrial jobs of today..

Factory CEOs tell Trump: Jobs exist, skilled applicants don't - LA Times
And Obama pushed for 8 years for everyone to go to college. Now we have tons on college graduates with no jobs .

Old 02-25-2017, 07:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
^^ All the bad math skills that have been discussed in this thread... here's Exhibit A.
explain

Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
And Obama pushed for 8 years for everyone to go to college. Now we have tons on college graduates with no jobs .
No he didn't. He didn't do a thing about that.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:08 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
explain
Start with the basic fact that tax rates are not synonymous with tax revenues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies