Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 05:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's in the opening sentence

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

You too are a little late to the party and should scroll back to see my point, but you show the point, exactly.

There it is... Promote, with provide in the same sentence. So to promote welfare, does not mean provide, and never has meant it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 05:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What

Well, it seems you finally found the word you insisted is not there

Senior moment......

No, it was my point.
Please don't ever take the stand to get cross examined!!!

They will ask the same question, and when you are so happy to prove the other how they are oh-so wrong, you actually prove their case.

The constitution does not say to provide welfare, and with provide in the same sentence, they surely have never meant the same thing.

I did the same thing and you guys fell for it, over the words Citizen and People being interchanged to change the constitution.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You too are a little late to the party and should scroll back to see my point, but you show the point, exactly.

There it is... Promote, with provide in the same sentence. So to promote welfare, does not mean provide, and never has meant it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No, it was my point.
Please don't ever take the stand to get cross examined!!!

They will ask the same question, and when you are so happy to prove the other how they are oh-so wrong, you actually prove their case.

The constitution does not say to provide welfare, and with provide in the same sentence, they surely have never meant the same thing.

I did the same thing and you guys fell for it, over the words Citizen and People being interchanged to change the constitution.
I did point out that there is also Article I, section 8, which permits Congress to provide for the general welfare. You appear to be ignoring my posts, but the language is quite clear. The first clause of Article I, section 8 contains it.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I did point out that there is also Article I, section 8, which permits Congress to provide for the general welfare. You appear to be ignoring my posts, but the language is quite clear. The first clause of Article I, section 8 contains it.
Provide & disberse tho are V diff terms. Many contracts "provide for" via built-in provisions -- yet are seldom invoked or enacted. I see welfare as such. Yes, it hangs in balance, yet discretion as to its prudent use supercedes the mere fact that it is a proviso "on the bks." The 2 are NOT interchangeable & clearly not synonomous.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 PM

Furthermore, where does this new Admin get alot to pay this welfare? Let's budget cut it & stop fraud, etc. We inflated things & printed loot to get this far, & when do chickens come home to roost? Now I bet; as trump will slice this budget kicking unjustified riffraff off.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
US Const isn't a crazy demo ideal of a, "living, breathing document". Hahaha, are you dems for real? No offence here but many libs really think this is open to debate or change. It worked for 250 yrs almost so why NOW does it become suddenly -- obsolete??

Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Dems can provide as much as they desire. Just don't force me (or anyone) to finance their schemes.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:21 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
The Constitution literally has the world "welfare", as in "promote the general welfare". Do you know how to read?

Old 03-02-2017, 04:22 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
I did point out that there is also Article I, section 8, which permits Congress to provide for the general welfare.
You left off the rest...

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States"

States, NOT citizen or person. We know there's a distinct difference because both the terms 'citizen' and 'person' are included throughout the Constitution, but neither are present in this particular Constitutional statement. Reading comprehension matters.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:24 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The Constitution literally has the world "welfare", as in "promote the general welfare". Do you know how to read?
Promote, NOT provide. Do you not know how to read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies