Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:33 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times

Advertisements

There is a 18 year difference in life expectancy between black male life expectancy in DC and white male life expectancy! If this doesnt sum up how racially screwed up America is , nothing does.

66 is the life expectancy for black males in DC

84 is the life expectancy for white males in DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 12:40 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
There is a 18 year difference in life expectancy between black male life expectancy in DC and white male life expectancy! If this doesnt sum up how racially screwed up America is , nothing does.
But what is the cause?

And to be fair, this same pattern is seen in other countries as well.

Part of it is the result of crime/gangs/drugs/etc, but some is from differences in rates of disease.

I don't know if differences in racial outcomes necessarily implies "Racism", or that we are "racially screwed-up".

The actual cause likely has nothing at all to do with race. Which is precisely why a "white state" like West Virginia is always near the bottom on these kinds of statistics.

Be careful about jumping to conclusions.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:42 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
State level data is obviously poorly suited for such an analysis when we all know what the county level electoral map looks like. OP, you get an F.
County-level data is also available.

US Health Map | IHME Viz Hub

No surprises.

I live in a super-liberal city now. Clinton got 85.5% of the vote. Majority is non-white.
Life expectancy: 79.5 years.

I grew up in a backwater hellhole. Trump got 83.6% of the vote. 98.2% of the population is white.
Life expectancy: 67.6 years.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:48 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
If living longer means I have to live under the foot of pretentious busy bodies who think they have the authority to dictate my every decision in life, I welcome a short life.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:54 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

66 is the life expectancy for black males in DC

84 is the life expectancy for white males in DC
Asians have an even higher life expectancy than white males. Does that mean it is even more "racially screwed up"?

Old 02-25-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
But what is the cause?

And to be fair, this same pattern is seen in other countries as well.

Part of it is the result of crime/gangs/drugs/etc, but some is from differences in rates of disease.

I don't know if differences in racial outcomes necessarily implies "Racism", or that we are "racially screwed-up".

The actual cause likely has nothing at all to do with race. Which is precisely why a "white state" like West Virginia is always near the bottom on these kinds of statistics.

Be careful about jumping to conclusions.
Yeah but the difference in the top state for whites in, say Minnesota, is not that huge of a differential than the bottom state for whites like west virginia, its only 5 years, not like the difference between white men life expectancy and black mens life expectancy of 18 years in DC!

Really none of these numbers except for whites in DC are impressive, japan, singapore, are usually around 84-85+.

Its like that thread somebody started a thread about obesity trying to say the same thing about obesity, than you look at the least obese states in America and they are terribly obese, all in the 23-35% range. Can you imagine Japan or Korea Singapore Switzerland Scandinavia etc having the kind of obesity you see in a so called "healthy state" , it would be a cause for major alarm

But we are always comparing states instead of comparing ourselves to healthy countries and healthy ways of life

The so called "least obese" American states and cities are much closer to mexico than the 1-3% obesity rate in Japan and Korea Singapore etc, and single digits rates you see in in Switzerland Norway Austria etc. Almost all of the american states are at least 21-25% obesity rates and up

Old 02-25-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Asians have an even higher life expectancy than white males. Does that mean it is even more "racially screwed up"?
I just posted that, but its not a 18 year difference

Old 02-25-2017, 01:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Red vs blue has nothing to do with it. The lowest life expectancy states all have high numbers of African Americans. AA have lower life expectancy than other groups in the country for complex reasons.
Yes, the northeast like NY, NJ are such bastions of white racial purity.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Red States are run by Red Governors and Red Legislatures. They stupidly spend less on social and medical programs.

Many states have enacted legislation requiring local real estate taxes be kept artificially low for long-term homeowners. This means less money for localities to have their own social and medical programs or assistance.

All these Red State and Red Congresspersons who decry taxes.....like in most things in life, You Get What You Pay For.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:09 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,887 times
I bet that it just seems longer, if you live in a blue state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies