Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
You have no conscious if it doesn't bother you. Are you telling me all 900,000 are criminals?
They were found guilty in a court of law thus the answer is a conviction leads them to being a convict.

Thus the answer is yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 12:38 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Are We Talking Enough About the Black Middle Class?

Old 02-25-2017, 12:39 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
You have no conscious if it doesn't bother you. Are you telling me all 900,000 are criminals?
Are you able to provide statistics detailing why those 900,000 are in prison? Without that, it's pointless to discuss this...we don't have enough facts. It will simply be an emotional plea.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,956,641 times
So why not fight for real progressive change that we know can affect this situation positively, like creating a social democratic society with a proper public safety net? Without addressing poverty, education and the dismal state of a safety net in America, nothing will change.

Instead, the overwhelming majority of African Americans voted for Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
What are Black Americans doing to land themselves in prison that is physically impossible for White Americans to do?

That's my question.

Are you saying the State is targeting Black men for prosecution more than White men while an equal percentage of each population commit the same crimes?

Old 02-25-2017, 12:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Since most of us white people have never walked in your shoes, Heavenese, we can only speculate on some of the reasons for so many blacks being incarcerated . I think there are a couple of reasons, one that is beyond the control of blacks and one that they must take responsibility for themselves.

For the first one, yes, there is a large degree of racism in this country. We see it very vividly even on this forum, from time to time. There has always been a divide between the races, but it has gotten even moreso during this election we just had. There is no question that blacks are generally not given the same opportunities and chances that we whites are given.

Now, for the part about blacks not taking responsibility for their own problems, and I will be brutally honest here. I feel that, if blacks truly want to elevate their status in America, and stop this revolving door of going to jail, they need to say "enough is enough". There are far too many of your young who live on the streets and who take to a life of crime to survive. We do not see the outrage that we should be seeing from the black community, whenever someone is murdered, for example. Whenever the police try to get help to find the shooters, no one saw anything.

When my ancestors came to America, they had only the clothes on their backs, and didn't even speak English. But they worked hard, kept their noses clean, and made sure their children got an education and learned right from wrong. Instead of seeing the police as the enemy, they cooperated with the police and respected the job they do.

I am sure there are reasons that some blacks go down the paths they do, but, until it becomes unacceptable in your community to break the laws, nothing will happen. It has to start with you.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:44 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,586 times
There is a very easy solution to this, don't commit crime.

I think the real question is why do so many black people, on a per capita basis, commit crime and how do we get them to be more law abiding citizens?

I agree 100% that it is a serious issue for everyone, but the blame should be on the people committing the crime. You commit crime, you go to jail.

As far as jail sentences go, it wouldn't be a problem if you didn't commit crime. IF the sentences aren't equal for similar situations between whites and black, put those white criminals in jail for longer to make it equal.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times
We must recall, as I have observed elsewhere, that when Congress passed new laws concerning cocaine, they set mandatory prison sentences. However, they used a 500 to 1 ratio, with the '1' being for crack cocaine (favored by black Americans due to being cheap) and the '500' being the powdered stuff favored by white Americans. Result: an explosion of black youths going to prison for minimum terms of 10 years.

The law has been changed. I think the ratio is now 100 to 1.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM

1,768 posts, read 715,142 times
The war on drugs is mostly to blame imo. It is what funds the gangs which are the single biggest reason so many blacks are in jail.
Both Republican and Democrats alike are guilty of this.

I would hope Trump would at least legalize marijuana but that is to be determined.... years ago he was for the legalization and taxation of all drugs but I think his stance has changed over the years.

This is an issue worth fighting over....not all the people out there protesting Trump mainly for the fact he is a Republican.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:48 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
There is a very easy solution to this, don't commit crime.

I think the real question is why do so many black people, on a per capita basis, commit crime and how do we get them to be more law abiding citizens?

I agree 100% that it is a serious issue for everyone, but the blame should be on the people committing the crime. You commit crime, you go to jail.

As far as jail sentences go, it wouldn't be a problem if you didn't commit crime. IF the sentences aren't equal for similar situations between whites and black, put those white criminals in jail for longer to make it equal.
Don't commit crimes.

That is obvious.

What is also obvious is hood rats prefer to be stupid. There can be no other explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies