Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,612,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Did anyone think otherwise?
Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is
Fact check: study shows transition makes trans people suicidal – The TransAdvocate

"A 2011 study at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden produced the most illuminating results yet regarding the transgendered [sic], evidence that should give advocates pause. The long-term study—up to 30 years—followed 324 people who had sex-reassignment surgery. The study revealed that beginning about 10 years after having the surgery, the transgendered [sic] began to experience increasing mental difficulties. Most shockingly, their suicide mortality rose almost 20-fold above the comparable nontransgender population. This disturbing result has as yet no explanation but probably reflects the growing sense of isolation reported by the aging transgendered [sic] after surgery. The high suicide rate certainly challenges the surgery prescription."

The doctor in the OP's thread posting is dead on. There is a strong correlation of sexual reassignment surgery and suicide rates. Obviously it is not the answer.

Neither is condoning the behavior by making it something "normal"

Old 02-25-2017, 04:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,823,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Actually no, mentally ill homosexuals have existed throughout history because the mentally ill have existed throughout history.

You do realize by the basic foundations of evolution that if homosexuality was a genetic trait, it would have been purged long before now?
That's not how evolution works, though, or rather it's an understanding of evolution so simplistic as to be erroneous. "Survival (and reproduction) of the fittest" often passes through a general bloodline, to put it in everyday words, not necessarily through one's own direct offspring. Consider how some social species, humans included, may put the entire family's effort into the offspring of a few members, rather than all producing maximum offspring themselves. It's pro-social to feed, teach, and protect a sibling's offspring. It's long been a successful evolutionary strategy for ensuring familial traits and resources get passed to the next generation, to put one's limited resources and attention into a smaller quantity of juveniles, who are as a result more likely to survive and reproduce themselves. And that's even before you consider that your genome is not your phenome, and that genes can express themselves differently, or may be switched on or off, in response to environmental factors. (I suggest googling "epigenomics" if you're interested in the general topic.)

To put it in really basic terms, if my grandparents produced my mother and my gay uncle, and my gay uncle's support helps me thrive and have my own children, he has made it more likely that his parents' genes, which produced him, a gay man, will be passed on.

Also, obviously, homosexual and transgender people can and do have children.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:21 PM

15,050 posts, read 10,033,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
If someone goes out and kills in your name, does that mean you instructed them to do such?
It means when someone truly believes they are Christian/God believing etc, what others think of them is irrelevant, it doesn't preclude them from committing crimes or wrong. Similarly... if someone killed in the name of "usayit", what I think of them or others is irrelevant.... It doesn't preclude them from doing wrong NOR does it mean they will always be in the right.

To put nonbelievers in one bucket and believers in another bucket. Then label the former as parasites/wrong doers..etc... is incorrect.

Status in faith doesn't equate to either people of good nor people of bad.

Think deeper.

Last edited by usayit; 02-25-2017 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM

375 posts, read 294,719 times
Quote:
Of course it is a mental disorder.

This is hardly cutting edge news.

What else would you call a mental mindset that causes one to think they are not truly of the sex they were born with? To be satisfied and indeed comfortable in your biological sex is to belong to the natural order. Thus, to refute such a primal basic is a DISorder. I can break it down to a modus ponens syllogism if you like.

Let me know.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,823,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Ask any physical disabled person if they want to be classified as a mental disorder just to milk society for more accommodations and special treatment....
Mental disorders are physical disorders but not all physical disorders are mental disorders. This is not that complicated an idea.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,760,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
You're still trapped on that superficial issue. How often does what you're referring to even happen? When are kids showing in public? Rarely. I don't know how it works everywhere, but there weren't even showers in lorckerrooms until I was in middle school, and no one ever really used them. And if they did, when would adults have access to them? You're talking about a problem that's less common that commonality of a person even being trans, yet you throw out the small number like it's so significant.
I agree that showers is but one small piece of this, but the problem is folks demanding transgender rights are not willing to allow any restrictions at all. The right to shower with anatomically opposite gender people is part of the package. It the transgender would be willing to accept some compromise on things like showers, then maybe some of the resistance would lessen.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 PM

15,050 posts, read 10,033,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Mental disorders are physical disorders but not all physical disorders are mental disorders. This is not that complicated an idea.
You missed the point....

What you stated is oversimplified... there is more in stake of being labeled as a mental disorder than simply milking society for special treatment and accommodation .

yes what you posted is simple... but in the wrong direction.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 PM

50,143 posts, read 63,575,256 times
I have always thought so, but I'm not a scientist. I am just hopeful that it is. It would be much less traumatic to be able to treat this in other ways besides the way it is treated now. I have heard that those who undergo surgery and hormone treatment are not happier after.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:40 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
Quote:

All sexual habits and instincts are mental.

But when a boy thinks he is a girl, or a girl thinking she is a boy, to the point of body mutilation, there is some serious mentally insane issues going on.
The suicide rate among this small demographic is the highest of all demographics, in the 95% range and why the importance of a psychiatrist's intervention ASAP.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:41 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,404,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Because education ,research and broaden views make for the ability to formulate better and informed rational discussion... This is regardless of whether or not they eventually agree or disagree with me.
Fine, let the people who NEED to have the discussion, i.e. the transgendered themselves, their parents, the schools and medical including physical and mental health have the discussion. No one is preventing that.

The entire country does not need to waste time on discussing something that will never be an issue for most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies