Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Have a nephew at Yale. Full academic scholarship. High percentage of Ivy League students get full or partial scholarships if they excelled in HS. I guess this makes tRumpers jealous.

Yale doesn't give merit (academic) based scholarships.

Yale gives need-based financial aid.

Scholarships and Grants | Financial Aid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Private colleges are expensive.
They sure are.

Quote:
So if you can't afford it then don't go there. I don't know how it is in every state but I'll just tell you about mine. All students need to take general education classes in order to graduate. This has nothing to do with your major. This is basically your first year.
It's not "gen ed". It's "liberal art college reqs." Which are taught, at a 4 year "expensive college level" a little more in depth than at your basic community college & which is why you just can't go take a class at your community college and expect to get credit for it. Has to be approved by the 4 year, and the approval isn't handed out like Halloween Candy on 10/31.

Quote:
So many kids start out at community colleges to get these requirements because it's much cheaper. Then they transfer to a state college. Housing is very expensive though. And some don't budget for that.
And many, who took those classes at their CC, end up being all sorts of confuddled b/c the 4 year college they apply to won't give them full or any credit for more than several of the classes they took at the CC.

They expect to enter a 4 year college as a JR., but end up as a second semester Frosh or first semester Soph.

And wasted all of that time & $$ in CC.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
My ex-husband's younger sister attended Sarah Lawrence. She loved it there.

His parents paid the tuition. They could afford it and she was a good student.

70k a year isn't that much for an undergrad institution to some people.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:19 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Buyer beware. How many high paying jobs are waiting for a Liberal arts major?
If I were to spend that much on my child's education I would be shooting for something more marketable.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Have a nephew at Yale. Full academic scholarship. High percentage of Ivy League students get full or partial scholarships if they excelled in HS. I guess this makes tRumpers jealous.

I read somewhere and I will try to check on it,that Princeton's endowment is so big very few pay tuition.

This is a few years old but you get the idea.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-t-pay-tuition

Old 02-28-2017, 03:53 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,431,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ask the grads!
You can find them working at Starbucks, being a pre-school teachers assistant, or being a social worker.

When they're not at work, they're "writing their novel".

Old 02-28-2017, 04:07 AM

Anything the government gets involved in -- health care, housing, college education -- the price goes up.

When people don't pay for what they got, the taxpayers get the bill.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:35 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Anything the government gets involved in -- health care, housing, college education -- the price goes up.

When people don't pay for what they got, the taxpayers get the bill.

Poll: Half of College Students Believe Their Student Loans Will Be Forgiven - Breitbart

Apparently that is what a lot of kids think .. that the taxpayers will take care of it all!

Old 02-28-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Poll: Half of College Students Believe Their Student Loans Will Be Forgiven - Breitbart

Apparently that is what a lot of kids think .. that the taxpayers will take care of it all!
Sometimes I think I'm crazy for not going back to college.

Sure beats working -- especially when you don't have to pay for it.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:37 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And a significant amount of student loan debt on graduation.
See Post #46 which says the averge student loan debt is $16,000 after attending 4 years at Sara Lawrence College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies