Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, the issue is that the league has a birth certificate gender rule. The kid wants to compete in the boys' league, and apparently just about everyone - except for league officials - thinks he should be competing there.

If he was competing in the boys league, would he be considered an enhanced athlete?
Don't know if this answers your question or not.....

From the NCAA Transgender Handbook:

Quote:
1. A trans male (FTM) student-athlete who has received a medical exception for treatment with testosterone for diagnosed Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for purposes of NCAA competition may compete on a men’s team, but is no longer eligible to compete on a women’s team without changing that team status to a mixed team.

2. A trans female (MTF) student-athlete being treated with testosterone suppression medication for
Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for the purposes of NCAA competition
may continue to compete on a men’s team but may not compete on a women’s team without
changing it to a mixed team status until completing one calendar year of testosterone suppression
treatment.
https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...2011_Final.pdf

Old 02-25-2017, 09:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Radfems have been protesting transwomen intruding into female spaces forever. People just get all them feminists confused. This particular issue seems to be due to some wording. I personally don't think transgenders should participate in gender specific competitions no matter which way they go.
I think that for adults, the individual leagues will work it out for themselves. With time, we'll all see which rules make sense, and which don't.

For kids, there is an issue, but the birth certificate gender rule makes no sense, as this case illustrates.

Now I don't know anything about this particular kid, other than what's in the article, but I imagine (please note this word, what follows is entirely speculative) that when he started taking hormones, it would still have made sense for him to be competing against girls. But at some point, that testosterone starts to make a difference. Clearly, it would now make more sense for him to be competing against boys.

So why rely on that inane rule? Why not evaluate the kid each year, and make the decision on an individual basis?

And for boys transitioning into girls, the same reasoning would apply. Such a kid would likely start taking estrogen in adolescence, and would not develop the musculature that boys normally do during adolescence. And at some point, it would make more sense for that kid to compete against girls.

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-25-2017 at 09:46 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 09:35 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
I just want to put it out there that I apologize if I offended anyone. Sometimes, I tend to just say things to mess around, but I realize that some people may get offended.

It's something I got to work on. I will honestly say though that I think it's the testosterone issue that's really at play here. It just gives the kid a competitive advantage.

I don't have anything against people that make these lifestyle choices by the way. Those who show no mercy are shown no mercy.

Now, I don't know if that's true, but I know that Jesus said, "Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy." So I imploy that to mean, that those who weren't merciful didn't receive mercy. I understand that sometimes it's wrong to imply things because mistakes can be made; however, it has worked for me. There have been times where I have been angry enough to do something that I thought was righteous at the time, but then I thought about what was truly righteous, and I made the right decision, and nobody was hurt.

I suppose there are different kinds of respect, but I think the best option is to just to give respect right off the bat. Still, if someone close to me was considering going through this surgery, I would urge them not to because for one, they could die. And two, you just can't get certain things back and you often don't realize it until it's too late. That's life.

Life is hard. Sometimes, you just got to accept life. I mean, we're all not born on equal footing. Some of us are good looking, some of us aren't. Some of us are strong, while others are weak. And while we can change somethings by being the best version of ourselves that we can, at the end of the day, there are some things that are permanent.

Just as we have to accept death, we have to accept life. That's life. That's just how it is. But for those that did not receive this message, we should treat them with respect, but also understand that what's respectful to some people might be disrespectful to others.

Like I said, I apologize.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Don't know if this answers your question or not.....

From the NCAA Transgender Handbook:

Good link... Will read later...

As I read it.. basically says that TransMale (FTM) will eventually compete only on male teams and TransFemale(MTF) will eventually only compete on Female teams. Othewise, the team would need to declare mixed team status.

If the UIL allowed this TransMale (FTM) to compete only on male teams rather than blindly following the birth certificate, this would be pretty much a non-issue. Pretty much everyone is ok with this except the ruling committee.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I guess it was bound to happen. "Transgender" males competing in female sports. How long before the feminists start protesting?

I predict much confusion in the democrats' future. Their wedge issues are going to split their own party apart.

Trinity’s transgender boy wins girls state wrestling crown
You didnt read your article

Quote:
Beggs was born a girl, yet from as early as 3 years old, his parents remember, he has considered himself a boy. Now more than a year after starting testosterone treatment that is transforming his physical appearance and increasing muscle mass to that of or near a boy of similar age, Beggs is required by the University Interscholastic League to compete as a girl and against girls.

He would prefer to wrestle boys, but lacking that option, he follows the rules set by the UIL, the state’s governing body for public school sports.

Read more here: Transgender boy wins Texas girls wrestling title | The Star-Telegram

So you actually got what you wanted, he was forced to go up against girls( his birth sex).

Old 02-25-2017, 11:14 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Didn't read the article, did you?

"Beggs is transitioning to a male aided by testosterone treatment"

Should have been competing with the boys.

Now do you see why that birth certificate rule is so dumb?
No. The birth certificate rule seems pretty reasonable when the athletes aren't taking steroids.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 02-25-2017 at 11:24 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 11:36 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Didn't read the article, did you?

"Beggs is transitioning to a male aided by testosterone treatment"

Should have been competing with the boys.

Now do you see why that birth certificate rule is so dumb?
Even the NCAA doesn't allow that. Once testosterone treatment has started, the transgender has to compete on the boys' team unless it's a specifically coed team.

This is just going to create more problems and backlash.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:50 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Indeed. Having rules determined by birth certificates has certainly been proven to be problematic.
The alternate is problematic, as well. Any male could "claim" to be female, compete as a female, and win all the games, meets, championships, and scholarships.

So how does this get resolved? Neither way actually works.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:53 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I guess it was bound to happen. "Transgender" males competing in female sports. How long before the feminists start protesting?

I predict much confusion in the democrats' future. Their wedge issues are going to split their own party apart.

Trinity’s transgender boy wins girls state wrestling crown
Democrats are all for transgender rights. It's republicans who aren't. Trumps rollback on Obama's transgender rule for bathrooms is a really sad thing.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:00 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The alternate is problematic, as well. Any male could "claim" to be female, compete as a female, and win all the games, meets, championships, and scholarships.

So how does this get resolved? Neither way actually works.
According ot the NCAA rules, the male who "claims" to be female (MTF TransFemale) would need to undergo testosterone suppression therapy for 1 year under the supervision of a medical professional for the purpose of either treating Gender Dysphoria OR as part of transgender regiment.

I don't think you will have too many males going through that process just to get a one up on female competitors at games, meets, championships, and scholarships. I think it would be quite obvious to a medical professional trained in such matters. Judging from the stories I've read about the great lengths and difficulties one must go through for transgender, I don't think you have to worry about it...... certainly very few can "fake" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies