Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But California cant be expected to take care of all red state refugees. Thats very unreasonable.
I might be more supportive of their desire not to take in red state refugees if they co-operated in getting rid of their illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 06:27 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The conservative argument for universal care has been the lifting of the HC burden off the employers shoulders, while the CA proposal would add to corporate taxes. Not sure if that is a win or a lose for the employer. Someone would have to do the math. In most countries with UHC, they fund it from VATs.
How would taxing employers "lift the burden" off them? They currently pay for the employees health insurance as it is today as well as employees pitching in their part of the premium. It's just now paying it to a different person in which that person (the government) isn't going to price gouge and can be controlled.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Haven't heard anyone say this but you guys. This speaks for itself.

If NC was such a hell hole as you try to paint it, there wouldn't be 1000s moving here every single day. Lots of them are from California too. This speaks for itself.
1000s moving is because of income inequality not because of "liberal" policies as you might want to think. Finite amount of housing + tons of rich folks buying up property = kick all the lower income/middle class out.

If California were to go on a massive housing building spree that forces prices to drop and becomes affordable, do you think those people will go back in a heartbeat? You betcha. Hell I'm part of this crowd too and in a heartbeat I'd go back if I could.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
No wonder why people are fleeing California. Too many taxes.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:39 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
1000s moving is because of income inequality not because of "liberal" policies as you might want to think. Finite amount of housing + tons of rich folks buying up property = kick all the lower income/middle class out.

If California were to go on a massive housing building spree that forces prices to drop and becomes affordable, do you think those people will go back in a heartbeat? You betcha. Hell I'm part of this crowd too and in a heartbeat I'd go back if I could.
People go where there are jobs, not because there is a house available... last time i checked there are thousands of houses for sale in California...

Old 02-26-2017, 06:41 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
The facetiousness id transparent, and frankly an ungainly reach.
Quote:
Red state refugees is a huge problem. Basically, mobility between states must be severely restricted and basically the different states must act more like separate countries for it to work.

Working stiffs from red states who think its so great with low taxes suddenly get disabled and cancer and think they can just jump ship to some place more compassionate. It doesnt work. Red state refugees must be barred entry sadly.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:44 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Suggest you consult Messers Madison and Jefferson to understand what states rights is and not your unthinking caricature.
Quote:
I dont support illegals getting full access to the system. But red state refugees would be in the tens of millions as red states will just gut all support for their sick and disabled people in order to fund tax breaks for the financial overlords of their politicians.

Everyone with a brain understands so-called "state's rights" is just a cover for a race to the bottom towards a social darwinian society with no social safety net, no support for the disabled, and terrible public infrastructure and regulation of air and water. As long as states dont have the ability to restrict immigration from other states and slap tariffs on products and services from other states, its a race to the bottom.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
People go where there are jobs, not because there is a house available... last time i checked there are thousands of houses for sale in California...
Jobs is one, cultural identity is another. Meaning, the diversity, things to do, the way California's politics work, etc.. It isn't just purely financial.

Uhh, because a house is for sale doesn't mean there's housing available. The indicator is the price of the house as determined by the supply and demand curve. When supply is low and demand is high, prices go up. So that means there's an undersupply problem. California housing is the most priciest in the nation... especially in large metro areas. That tells you something... too much demand not enough housing.

You sure you understand economics 101?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:46 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Didn't Hawaii try to do something like this, and it failed?

Maybe California should concentrate its effort on things like their dams before taking on any more projects.
No 400,000 dead will be cheaper for California. It's in the works.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post

Affordable housing is the top issue in CA by far...we have lots of issues but housing is the most pressing imo.9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies