Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,217,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am beginning to think that we are addicted to cheap junk. Without these trinkets we, and our credit driven economy, would go into massive and painful withdrawal. Let us start by "Just saying NO" the next time we are tempted to by something we want but do not need on credit we do not have.
GregW

We are addicted to Junk in general. No matter how dumb it is, we want it bigger, better and faster. American society dictates what we all MUST have at risk of being called a loser. China just supplies it Cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,592,798 times
According to a study from the NBER (National Bureau of Economic Research) that I recall reading, Chinese imports alone hold down inflation by over 1%, and perhaps up to 2%, per year. That's pretty amazing, actually. What it means is that stuff from China is cheaper relative to the price it could be obtained anywhere else in the world, and that if it vanished, prices would spike. China is actually shielding us from the consequences of our debt spending and inflationary monetary policy.

But when you buy from the bargain basement, sometimes you get unreliable stuff. Sometimes you get defective or dangerous stuff. That's just a consequence of demanding the absolute lowest possible prices.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,530,043 times
I am already doing what I advise others. We have cut back on our trinket acquisition and on our discretionary travel. We are not willing to borrow money for gasoline or new toys.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times
I wonder how many people have really tried to buy products - things they NEED, not junk - only to find it is nearly impossible to locate products made in American anymore.

We have dug a terrible hole for ourselves, economically, by supporting the import of Chinese goods. However, if that is all that is being offered, and w/ American companies out of business (textiles, furniture) . . . where are we to get the goods we wish to buy?

Next time you go shopping, see what you can find that is made in America. That includes shoes for your kids.

I decided years ago I wouldn't buy Chinese goods. My next purchase was for blinds for my house. I went all over town trying to find blinds (faux wood). Every single one I found was made in China.

Now someone told me I could get a brand name blind that was made in America. It cost over $200 more than the ones I found at all the big box stores, but looked the same.

So what is the consumer to do? Buy my blinds for $37 or $237? I need 8 sets of blinds. That is a heckuva big difference on my checkbook balance.

My search for products made in the USA has been quite frustrating. Even my Coach handbags are not longer made in the USA. So many brands that we always thought were good, solid American made products - they are being made in China.

I bought a table a few months ago. Broyhill. Got it out of the box. Made in China.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I wonder how many people have really tried to buy products - things they NEED, not junk - only to find it is nearly impossible to locate products made in American anymore.

We have dug a terrible hole for ourselves, economically, by supporting the import of Chinese goods. However, if that is all that is being offered, and w/ American companies out of business (textiles, furniture) . . . where are we to get the goods we wish to buy?

Next time you go shopping, see what you can find that is made in America. That includes shoes for your kids.

I decided years ago I wouldn't buy Chinese goods. My next purchase was for blinds for my house. I went all over town trying to find blinds (faux wood). Every single one I found was made in China.

Now someone told me I could get a brand name blind that was made in America. It cost over $200 more than the ones I found at all the big box stores, but looked the same.

So what is the consumer to do? Buy my blinds for $37 or $237? I need 8 sets of blinds. That is a heckuva big difference on my checkbook balance.

My search for products made in the USA has been quite frustrating. Even my Coach handbags are not longer made in the USA. So many brands that we always thought were good, solid American made products - they are being made in China.

I bought a table a few months ago. Broyhill. Got it out of the box. Made in China.
Good point...I have tried desperately to find clothes NOT made in China, Vietnam, Thailand, India ..and find it's almost impossible... and they make CRAP....

And don't forget places like the Marina Islands, a U.S protectorate, where slave labor produces items that can legally be marked "Made in the USA" ( Ralphie Lauren for one).

Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Good point...I have tried desperately to find clothes NOT made in China, Vietnam, Thailand, India ..and find it's almost impossible... and they make CRAP....

And don't forget places like the Marina Islands, a U.S protectorate, where slave labor produces items that can legally be marked "Made in the USA" ( Ralphie Lauren for one).
I had NO IDEA!!!!!! SIGH. We have outsourced our economy. That is why it is not so simple as just stopping the imports. Here in my state (NC) the textile mills have nearly all shut down - everything is made "somewhere else." We gave away our jobs . . . and now we are scratching our heads about how this happened.

I am even finding food products from elsewhere. For example, I was paying more for peaches from Del Monte, packaged in nice see through jars, and packed in natural juice. One day I started looking at the label. Product of Thailand. Del Monte does not equal Thailand to me. I was soooo surprised.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I had NO IDEA!!!!!! SIGH. We have outsourced our economy. That is why it is not so simple as just stopping the imports. Here in my state (NC) the textile mills have nearly all shut down - everything is made "somewhere else." We gave away our jobs . . . and now we are scratching our heads about how this happened.

I am even finding food products from elsewhere. For example, I was paying more for peaches from Del Monte, packaged in nice see through jars, and packed in natural juice. One day I started looking at the label. Product of Thailand. Del Monte does not equal Thailand to me. I was soooo surprised.
Ha! I use Ebay to buy things like vintage towels and other linens, some clothes, kitchen and tableware! Some were made in the 30's, 40's , 50's but are good as new because they were made with integrity using American grown cotton (for linens), American workers, American standards....and in may instances are cheaper than the crap from other countries!

Now can someone tell me if those little black boxes that we are forced to buy for our TV reception now that TV will no longer be free.......are THEY made in China....and who profits from this "invention"?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
If there was an all out ban on Chinese goods, Wal-mart would have about 4 items in the store. As would 90% of the stores in America, a lot of their goos ARE junk, but there are some really well made Chinese products as well. I don't think a ban would even go through personally.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,446,522 times
I don't think that banning Chinese goods would even be possible.

We'd end up creating a HUGE black market, and they'd just smuggle them in through Canada, South Korea, Mexico, etc.

Ever bought Cuban cigars? Multiply that by about a billion, and it will be like banning Chinese goods.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ha! I use Ebay to buy things like vintage towels and other linens, some clothes, kitchen and tableware! Some were made in the 30's, 40's , 50's but are good as new because they were made with integrity using American grown cotton (for linens), American workers, American standards....and in may instances are cheaper than the crap from other countries!

Now can someone tell me if those little black boxes that we are forced to buy for our TV reception now that TV will no longer be free.......are THEY made in China....and who profits from this "invention"?
My box is Scientific Atlanta, Dolby Labs - just did quick search - looks like the stuff is made in Shanghai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies