Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
When 400k people fly here A DAY, stuff happens. Better safe than sorry.
“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” (Thomas Jefferson, To Archibald Stuart in Philadelphia 1791.)

“Safety from external danger is the most powerful director of national conduct. Even the ardent love of liberty will, after a time, give way to its dictates. The violent destruction of life and property incident to war, the continual effort and alarm attendant on a state of continual danger, will compel nations the most attached to liberty to resort for repose and security to institutions which have a tendency to destroy their civil and political rights. To be more safe, they at length become willing to run the risk of being less free.” (Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, No. 8.)

I am not using Ben Franklin's famous quote because it was taken out of context and does not mean what it seems to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 08:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Publicized incidents like this will only add to the Trump Slump.

“It is now necessary to face up to the total arbitrariness and incompetence on the other side of the Atlantic,” he wrote. “I don’t know which is worse. What I do know, loving this country as I always have, is that the United States is no longer quite the United States.”

"Two more French academics are set to visit Texas A&M for a conference this week, he said. Golsan added that there was concern in the academic community that Rousso’s predicament was a sign that the anti-immigrant “spirit of Trump” has emboldened enforcement officials to behave overzealously.

Rousso is scheduled to fly back to France on Sunday – accompanied to the airport by a French consulate official to ensure his check-in process

Leading French academic threatened with deportation at Houston airport
I wonder when France will step up to defend the Jewish French people who get attacked in a daily base and increase of anti Semitic incidents.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 PM

113 posts, read 56,943 times
Well, I flew out of IAH last year for Dubai with an immigration attorney at my side, guess what? They mis-stamped her passport or some such nonsense...we got to Dubai, did what we needed to do...and I traveled on to Geneva Switzerland a few days before her. She was detained upon trying to make her flight to India to visit her family a few days later, they did not allow her to board the flight or, for that matter, leave the area around her hotel in Dubai until her husband could straighten things out stateside....he had to over night the documents( 1.5 K)in question before she was allowed to leave the hotel and continue her trip to India

Even the United employees we traveled with were unable to straighten this out in Dubai....but a well known international male flight attendant who was flown with Delta "forever", was contacted and he knew what needed to be done.....

It should be noted:
She has been a immigration attorney since the last coming of Christ....she is in her late 50's. Well respected. Dual citizen, American/Canadian

She is a world traveler...you name the place, the more unusual and far flung the better...and she has been there......

And nothing like this has ever happened to her before.....she was not upset about it, just wanted to get on with her trip, as her mum is old and quite ill.

Guess she could have screamed "Racists against Asian Indian Hindus'...... but she did not, nor did it ever cross her mind

Mistakes happen and it just s#cks....but it does not mean that there is always a hidden, political agenda

Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” (Thomas Jefferson, To Archibald Stuart in Philadelphia 1791.)

“Safety from external danger is the most powerful director of national conduct. Even the ardent love of liberty will, after a time, give way to its dictates. The violent destruction of life and property incident to war, the continual effort and alarm attendant on a state of continual danger, will compel nations the most attached to liberty to resort for repose and security to institutions which have a tendency to destroy their civil and political rights. To be more safe, they at length become willing to run the risk of being less free.” (Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, No. 8.)

I am not using Ben Franklin's famous quote because it was taken out of context and does not mean what it seems to say.
Do you have any opinions of your own or just centuries old quotes?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Do you have any opinions of your own or just centuries old quotes?
We are seeing our freedoms eroded. Of course, I agree with my quotes.

It's a false choice to agree to giving up our privacy and our free speech and our freedom of the press and religion to gain security and it does not work. These programs are not effective.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:42 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We are seeing our freedoms eroded. Of course, I agree with my quotes.

It's a false choice to agree to giving up our privacy and our free speech and our freedom of the press and religion to gain security and it does not work. These programs are not effective.
So we should just let everyone in the country? If there's a computer glitch, just assume they have the right to enter?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
emminent historian detained for 10 hours at Houston International
Eminent. The man is an eminent historian.

His departure from the airport is imminent.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:45 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Why would he need more ICE members if Illegal immigration was at an all time low?
Because illegally residing in the US is at an all time high.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:33 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
" Another one - emminent historian detained for 10 hours at Houston International "

Good grief, this has been going on for quite some time. We've all heard the stories, here's one from 2010. Now that Trump is president, I see we are going to count them. How sophomoric.

Passenger who had Arabic flash cards sues over his detainment - CNN.com

Old 02-26-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" Another one - emminent historian detained for 10 hours at Houston International "

Good grief, this has been going on for quite some time. We've all heard the stories, here's one from 2010. Now that Trump is president, I see we are going to count them. How sophomoric.

Passenger who had Arabic flash cards sues over his detainment - CNN.com
Well, the TSA was stupid then too. We just seem to be detaining more people who are not any kind of threat now than we were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies