Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 05:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think Congress could pass a law controlling guns modeled after Switzerland's and it would pass 2nd Amendment muster, although implementing it would requiring violating the Constitution in a number of other ways.
Sure, as long as "shall not be infringed" is found in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 05:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think Congress could pass a law controlling guns modeled after Switzerland's and it would pass 2nd Amendment muster, although implementing it would requiring violating the Constitution in a number of other ways.
Everyone liberal is going to commit suicide if we pass that.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:58 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
As I said, I do not care. 10 days does not bother me. That's simply my opinion. I am not advocating shorter or longer

Your story is hardly the standard.
"As I said, I do not care."

I bet if this case was about your sister, or any other family member of friend you wild quickly change your mind

But, them again it IS all about YOU!

"Your story is hardly the standard"

Your ignorance of the subject is only exceeded by your "I don't give a s..t about anybody else but me" attitude.

You might want to do some research BEFORE making a bigger fool of yourself then you ALREADY have.

"https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/the-armed-citizen/

Choose "explore' and educate yourself.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 03-01-2017 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-01-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Do you want a government official to arbitrarily declare you mentally ill just because you have a different opinion?

Liberty and life are far more precious!
"Do you want a government official to arbitrarily declare you mentally ill"

Didn't some Sen say that ALL military personnel returning from the Middle East and saw combat should be denied the ability to own a gun or something close to that?

Old 03-01-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Wow - - your reading comprehension skills are awful. You might take that as an insult. The original statement was meant as a positive because there are many disgusting Sandy Hook deniers.
"your reading comprehension skills are awful."

WOW, your writing skills are awful.

I have NO idea what a "Sandy Hook denier" is.

I have NEVER heard the phrase before.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:06 PM

778 posts, read 339,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm a law-abiding citizen and I both love guns as a device and treasure its value for self-defense. However, I don't understand how craptastic our gun control laws are and how they vary so much from state to state or even municipality to municipality.

My feeling is that law-abiding and sane citizens should have guns if they choose to do so. I'm veering towards encouraging firearm training for anyone who wants it as part of our education system, but as part of that, there must be some kind of certification program, even at a baseline level, that you know how to keep, use, and maintain a firearm. It makes no sense to me that controls and regulations can be so lax from state to state and it feels to me like it almost defeats the purpose of having a firearm in self-defense because the regulations literally makes it easy for a law-abiding citizen to be outgunned because I am not going to spend that significant amount of my income on guns alone. Not having stricter gun controls to me looks like a baseline arms race for self-defense.

I'm not going to go out and do anything stupid with my firearms. They are for sport and self-defense. I do not care if my firearms and ammunition are registered--I prefer it. I wish it were far more widespread to have such strict regulations. If you have a remotely criminal history, then you need to bend way over backwards to have access. If you can't demonstrate a basic lack of ability of how a gun should be operated and kept, you need to bone up on the basics and make sure you prove it to have a gun. If you are dumb as a brick, I'm sorry, you should not have a gun and there should be something to prevent you from owning one.

There needs to be accountability. The guns and ammunition needs to be traceable. I love my fellow citizens as much as I could, not physically for the most part, but you are not entitled without knowledge and trust to own and operate an elegant machine that can so greatly screw things up for others to such a great extent, and by extension, paint people like me with the same stripe in the same broad stroke for non gun-owners as an idiot or psychopath (that's fine, that's your prerogative)--I am not part of the idiot or psychopathic squad (and if I were, take my firearms away, sure).

There are a lot of developed countries with wonderful legacies of gun ownership and maintenance and sane laws and they have managed to keep things in check by having sensible regulation. What is it that is that prevents us from doing so? It seems so incredibly insane to me that we as gun owners cannot at least greatly lessen the chances of firearms slipping though the cracks when it's obvious the cracks we've set up in our laws are giant, gaping chasms.

Who the hell is profiting from these laxities?

Nope. In fact, I find the laws that exist currently to be in direct violation of the Second Amendment. There is absolutely no need for law abiding citizens to register their firearms and doing so it the first step to confiscation.

Criminals do not follow gun control laws, therefore, the only ones hurt by such restrictions are those of us who abide by the law and are merely engaging in our Constitutionally protected right to protect and defend ourselves.

Name any country that allows its citizens to own as many weapons as they choose and to carry said weapons openly or in a concealed manner without the requirement to register said weapons with the STATE?

As a gun owner that seeks regulation and oversight of your Constitutionally protected right, perhaps you should move to one of these developed countries with wonderful legacies of gun control and government regulation.

I have no need or desire to know how many weapons or rounds of ammunition you or anyone else chooses to have in their possession, as long as I can have as many weapons and rounds of ammunition I want to protect myself and my family from criminals!

Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have always had guns, rifles, shotguns, and pistols. What I can not understand is why anyone, outside law enforcement, needs assault type weapons with large capacity magazines. Those are made to do one thing, inflict a large number of injuries in a short period of time.

I know the NRA guys will say it is their right, but I can not own an operational cannon, so why should I be able to buy one of these ?

Wrong, AR-15 with large capacity magazines are necessary to have the most fun in exploding watermelons and other stuff at the gun range. Why do you hate freedom???

Old 03-01-2017, 07:10 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,996 times
No law should ever prevent or restrict law-abiding citizens from owning a gun. With that being said, I don't think we do enough in regards to gun safety in this country.

I own an entire safe of guns, and I've legally carried a concealed handgun for almost a decade now. The fact that the only thing required to get a concealed carry permit in my state (WA) is a clean background check is pretty ridiculous. It opens up the door for some idiot that has never even shot a gun to have the ability to legally carry a gun in public. This is the equivalent of someone driving a car without a driver's license IMO.

Of course if you say this most gun enthusiasts will froth at the mouth screaming gun ownership is a right not a privilege, which is true. In their defense, requiring a test to own a firearm is a double-edged knife in many ways.

I also think that children should take a mandatory gun safety course in public schools. There are literally more guns in the United States than there are people. No child in this country should grow up without a basic common knowledge of how to handle a firearm and how it works. I would really like to see this implemented in inner-city schools particularly. The level of accidental child shootings in cities like Chicago or New Orleans is almost as terrifying as the murder rates

Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
How can you put a human condition on a inanimate hunk of steel and wood. How is a gun illegal?
It isn't. it is "undocumented."

Old 03-01-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I couldn't agree more. Excellent post!

Kansas is one of several Constitutional Carry States. Every State should have Constitutional Carry.
Amen! In CA, you can't even conceal carry unless you can PROVE that your life is in danger. STUPIDITY.

They also require gun registration. As if!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies