Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times

Advertisements

Inspired by cspan callers moaning Obama' destruction of military. Military and uniform worship saturates America from Trump towers to trailer parks, and it well matches uniform worship in the bonafide totalitarian countries. It is virtual tabu, on the left and on the right, to say something negative about military. Philosophical issues aside, it deifies military and uniform, people forget that those are just people as stupid and incompetent as your average civilian crowds (sometime much more so judging by insane police killings). I was surprised to read Truman' sober assesment. There was nothing like this before or after Truman.

Miller:

Mr. President, I know why you fired MacArthur, but if you don’t mind I’d like to hear it in your own words.

Truman:

I fired him because he wouldn’t respect the authority of the President. That’s the answer to that. I didn’t fire him because he was a dumb son of a *****, although he was, but that’s not against the laws for generals. If it was, half to three-quarters of them would be in jail. That’s why when a good one comes along like General [George] Marshall, why you’ve got to hang onto them, and I did....

The excerpt below is from Plain Speaking, an oral biography of Truman by Merle Miller, who had interviewed the former president extensively for a television series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
I adamantly, passionately, and unequivocally believe that every single one of this country's problems could be solved by digging Harry Truman out of his grave and putting him back in the Oval Office for 8 years - then sticking him back in the dirt so he could get some damned sleep, digging up Dwight Eisenhower, and giving him 8 more years.

Problem solved. Bam. Over.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
President Truman had a pragmatic plan for National Health Care:

"...Our new Economic Bill of Rights should mean health security for all, regardless of residence, station, or race--everywhere in the United States.

We should resolve now that the health of this Nation is a national concern; that financial barriers in the way of attaining health shall be removed; that the health of all its citizens deserves the help of all the Nation. ..."

https://www.trumanlibrary.org/public...d=483&st=&st1=

Old 02-28-2017, 07:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
What justification is there spending more on the military? No country on earth is a threat to our standard military. The thing that should concern people are guys driving trucks through crowds and blowing up pressure cooker bombs. New aircraft carriers and more nuclear warheads will do absolutely nothing to stop these things.

I ask this question in all seriousness: How naive do you have to be to support an increase in military spending?

Old 02-28-2017, 08:14 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
President Truman had a pragmatic plan for National Health Care:

"...Our new Economic Bill of Rights should mean health security for all, regardless of residence, station, or race--everywhere in the United States.

We should resolve now that the health of this Nation is a national concern; that financial barriers in the way of attaining health shall be removed; that the health of all its citizens deserves the help of all the Nation. ..."

https://www.trumanlibrary.org/public...d=483&st=&st1=
Exactly my position. It's just smart business if the Republicans would just stop and think.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What justification is there spending more on the military? No country on earth is a threat to our standard military. The thing that should concern people are guys driving trucks through crowds and blowing up pressure cooker bombs. New aircraft carriers and more nuclear warheads will do absolutely nothing to stop these things.

I ask this question in all seriousness: How naive do you have to be to support an increase in military spending?
Well, everything is worn out due to 8 years of constant war under Obama, and he cut their budget the entire time. Like so many other things, it's a problem he left for the next guy.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Exactly my position. It's just smart business if the Republicans would just stop and think.
It's common sense reality-based problem solving, also relying on a critical thinking model re: problem solving.

As opposed to the (mostly libertarian-ideology inspired) impractical, fantasy, implausible, & ideology-based approach that's been in play for 40 years or more. How's that working out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies