Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I have family members who fall into this category. It used to make me feel sorry for them, but now that they've elected a madman into the WH over abortion and other pet issues, it irks me. By nature, religion causes people to suspend logic, and mixing it with politics has always been dangerous.
Reagan and his handlers knew this back in 1980 and made this a concentrated, targeted part of their election campaign. They melded the religious right with Republicanism, and the "Moral Majority" was born. This is why I've always said the Dumbing Down of America is deliberate, targeted, and highly effective.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:24 AM

185 posts, read 169,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Your contempt of religion is your problem. I'm not a regular church attendee, nor am I what you would describe as a fundamentalist.
In any case, your views on this don't affect me.

Eventually you will come to understand spirituality and regret being so angry all your life.
And how is it that you know my personal views on religion and my emotional state? That's a lot of arrogance to think you know that about a person you've never met.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:49 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
I agree with you except for the part about Samaritan's Purse. That organization is led by Franklin Graham. A man who supports Trump and his policies, who is divisive, judgemental, bigoted, and not very much like his father. Samaritan's Purse helps others only so they can include a healthy dose of religious indoctrination in the items they distribute. I once helped with one of their "relief efforts" and will never do so again.
I agree. Franklin Graham is the most divisive evangelical leader since Jerry Falwell. If you listen to his speeches, there isn't much about loving your neighbor. It's all about how evil and despicable LGBT people are and that the only hope for America is a theocracy.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:55 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Reagan and his handlers knew this back in 1980 and made this a concentrated, targeted part of their election campaign. They melded the religious right with Republicanism, and the "Moral Majority" was born. This is why I've always said the Dumbing Down of America is deliberate, targeted, and highly effective.
It's quite remarkable that what Jerry Falwell started in 1980 still dominates our politics in 2017. While people have various reasons for voting how they do, the top indicator of whether or not you will be a Democrat or Republican is what religious denomination you adhere to.

In a nutshell, it works like this.

White evangelical - Most Republican
Catholic - Republican (though less so than white evangelicals)
White mainline - Democrat
Black evangelical - Democrat
Islam - Democrat
Jewish - Democrat
Atheist/agnostic - Most Democrat

Old 02-28-2017, 11:46 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
An interesting article on how susceptibility to fake news has its origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites, i.e. evolution theory and a historical-critical analysis of the Bible.
It's hard to imagine anything more ridiculous than the notion that some people's beliefs in falsehoods cause themselves AND EVERYONE ELSE to be susceptible to "fake news".

Old 02-28-2017, 03:36 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Christians are just low hanging fruit to you, aren't they? I bet if I went back over your post history there would be multiple posts defending Muslims and the need to bring more into this country, and zero posts by you demeaning their religion. Would I be correct in that?

I'm not a Christian but have many Christian friends and understand how important their religion is to their lives. I would never - ever - consider demeaning their deeply held beliefs.

And BTW - if you went back over MY post history you would quickly learn that:

1. I have deeply held beliefs against bringing refugees into this country and
2. You will not find any posts demeaning their religion

Because I'm not a two faced, condescending jerk.
Go search my posts and try to find me defending Islam, "jerk".

Old 02-28-2017, 08:07 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
An interesting article on how susceptibility to fake news has its origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites, i.e. evolution theory and a historical-critical analysis of the Bible.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies