Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,457,714 times

Advertisements

I've always thought that people who come back from the dead, are classic definitions of a Zombie! There's a lot of Zombie followers in the world!

Old 02-27-2017, 12:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,743,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Can you tell me precisely how my definitions are off?

BTW:
From Wikipedia:
"Fake news is a type of hoax or deliberate spread of misinformation, be it via the traditional news media or via social media, with the intent to mislead in order to gain financially or politically."

Is the Wiki definition wrong too?

Also: I'm still waiting for someone to give some specific examples of actual fake news on CNN, NYT, etc.

Trumpists who hurl around accusations of "fake news" are not using the Wikipedia definition, they simply label anything they don't like as "fake news". It can be a fact they dislike, it can be an opinion they dislike, and even more amazing, it can be the lack of an article on a specific event or topic that them prompts them to label the entire new organization as "fake news". (Remember when they tried to accuse the NYT of under-reporting terrorism in Europe?)

It is a very plastic term that works well for the Goebbels-like approach to news and reporting that is coming from the right these days. Use a phrase that sounds bad but is so ill-defined that if you try to argue about it you end up going down a rat-hole which is exactly what the alternative-facts people want you to do. While you are arguing the last "fake news" accusation, they are hurling more new ones and keep the real, honest journalists of the NYT and WaPo chasing their tails.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,815,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
It is a very plastic term that works well for the Goebbels-like approach to news and reporting that is coming from the right these days.
It IS fairly disconcerting.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:47 PM

51,598 posts, read 25,617,156 times
Quote:
[...
From Wikipedia:
"Fake news is a type of hoax or deliberate spread of misinformation, be it via the traditional news media or via social media, with the intent to mislead in order to gain financially or politically."

Also: I'm still waiting for someone to give some specific examples of actual fake news on CNN, NYT, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Trumpists who hurl around accusations of "fake news" are not using the Wikipedia definition, they simply label anything they don't like as "fake news". It can be a fact they dislike, it can be an opinion they dislike, and even more amazing, it can be the lack of an article on a specific event or topic that them prompts them to label the entire new organization as "fake news". (Remember when they tried to accuse the NYT of under-reporting terrorism in Europe?)

It is a very plastic term that works well for the Goebbels-like approach to news and reporting that is coming from the right these days. Use a phrase that sounds bad but is so ill-defined that if you try to argue about it you end up going down a rat-hole which is exactly what the alternative-facts people want you to do. While you are arguing the last "fake news" accusation, they are hurling more new ones and keep the real, honest journalists of the NYT and WaPo chasing their tails.
Fake news is deliberate misinformation, a hoax, an attempt to make you believe something that is false.

Trump and the Republicans call everything the don't like "fake news." For example, they label polls as "fake news."

Polls are like weather predictions. Say the weatherman predicts rain and it doesn't rain. Does that mean the prediction was "fake news," that it was a hoax?

No, it means either the meteorologist misread the weather patterns or weather patterns changed. But he was not trying to pull a hoax, he was giving you the most accurate information he had at the time.

On the other hand, say the weatherman tells you that it is sunny where you are and you are standing in the pouring rain. This is trying to make you believe something that is not true, a hoax. This is "fake news."

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-27-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM

77,013 posts, read 47,426,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
An interesting article on how susceptibility to fake news has its origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites, i.e. evolution theory and a historical-critical analysis of the Bible.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on how this correlates to current political events, and from all sides of the fence. (Note: this would require actually reading the article, preferably with an open mind.)

The Religious Origins of Fake News and “Alternative Facts” | Religion Dispatches
I don't know. I have been called a fundamentalist more than few times, but I'm not buying Trumps fake news.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:52 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,639,592 times
Quote:
I hope that people in this thread will keep in mind a distinction between fake news (which is literally made-up consciously for the purpose of fooling people, etc.) and mistakes or bias (in which the writer of the news is not consciously trying to fool anyone, but may, nevertheless, make a mistake or be guided by biased views).

I would also encourage everyone to keep in mind a distinction between news articles and opinion articles. Obviously the opinion pieces will be biased - that's the whole point of offering an opinion.

Can anyone here give specific examples of actual news articles that are fake news published by CNN or NYT? (Or NPR or the Washington Post, etc.?)
Take your pick. There are fake news stories from all of the usual suspects incuding CNN, NYT and Wapo.

16 Fake News Stories Reporters Have Run Since Trump Won

The OP conveniently left out how liberals fell for the biggest fake news story in the history of U.S. politics, the manipulated polls showing a landslide win for Hillary. And who fell for that one, hook, line, and sinker?

Sorry OP, but your entire thread premise is pure fiction, or shall we call it, more fake news?

Old 02-27-2017, 01:00 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,299,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
An interesting article on how susceptibility to fake news has its origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites, i.e. evolution theory and a historical-critical analysis of the Bible.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on how this correlates to current political events, and from all sides of the fence. (Note: this would require actually reading the article, preferably with an open mind.)

The Religious Origins of Fake News and “Alternative Facts” | Religion Dispatches
Trump provides plenty of opportunity for the lefties on the media to make him look bad. Trump is partially to blame. Nevertheless, the CC people, et all always inject comments and innuendo to make Trump look worse than he is.

The electoral vote count in the elections and the size of the crowd at the inauguration are irrelevant news but CNN devoted weeks to this.

CNN claimed there were hundreds of town halls where the voters were very angry, but somehow managed to only show a single video of a fat man yelling as he is leaving the meeting/ They showed this video countless of times over more than a week trying to give the illusion that these meetings were extremely common and numerous. And over and over again it was always the same fat man yelling. That is NASTY!

Or saying Trump is an antisemite over and over again because he failed to say the right words. Never mind that the prime minister of Israel confirmed that Trump does not have a single antisemite bone on him on National TV.

The slant against Trump is obvious and confirmed by the media meltdown the night Trump won the election.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:41 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,721,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
The OP conveniently left out how liberals fell for the biggest fake news story in the history of U.S. politics, the manipulated polls showing a landslide win for Hillary. And who fell for that one, hook, line, and sinker?
Good grief. Are you purposefully trying to confuse people? We have a perfectly good term for a real phenomenon. Fake news comes from people purposefully publishing fake stories (mostly so that they can earn money when people click on the provocative headlines). Polls are not fake stories. Virtually all polls are statistical because you never get 100% of a population to answer the poll questions. An 85% chance of Clinton winning still leaves 15% chance of Trump winning. 15% is a significant number. The fact that Trump won does not make the polls "fake news."

Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,815,817 times
Quote:
Good grief. Are you purposefully trying to confuse people? We have a perfectly good term for a real phenomenon. Fake news comes from people purposefully publishing fake stories (mostly so that they can earn money when people click on the provocative headlines). Polls are not fake stories. Virtually all polls are statistical because you never get 100% of a population to answer the poll questions. An 85% chance of Clinton winning still leaves 15% chance of Trump winning. 15% is a significant number. The fact that Trump won does not make the polls "fake news."
Yea every time someone says that about polls it sets off alarm bells that they don't understand how statistics work...

It would be like if I said you have an 83% chance when rolling a six sided die of rolling anything but 1. Then someone rolls the die, it comes up 1, they point at it screaming "FAKE DICE FAKE DICE". Ludicrous. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but most polls predict the popular rather than electoral vote - which means the majority of them were actually accurate in their prediction as well.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM

185 posts, read 168,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Take your pick. There are fake news stories from all of the usual suspects incuding CNN, NYT and Wapo.

16 Fake News Stories Reporters Have Run Since Trump Won

Sorry OP, but your entire thread premise is pure fiction, or shall we call it, more fake news?
I didn't leave anything out. I linked to an article on a specific subject. You're the one trying to add on to it to support an opinion you have about election polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies