Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 12:03 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
From the article: "The convoy of trucks pulled up the birthday party for an eight-year-old child and the people started yelling racial slurs and threatened to kill people at the party, WSB reported. According to prosecutors, Torres pointed a shotgun at the party."

If that means they were pointing a shotgun at a group of 8 year-olds and threatening to kill them, I'm ok with the sentence.
Me too.

"From mother to mother, I cannot imagine having to explain what that word means.”"
She was a mother herself.

I am sure the children haven't got over it yet.

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default If not a "melting pot", maybe a nice paella?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
yes I agree. They deserve to be punished but not to that extent. And what do they mean by gang terrorism? That sounds like something directed toward actually criminal organizations like the illegal immigrants gangs who terrorize many American cities, like MS-13, Barrio 18, the Mexican Mafia, Latin Kings, etc.

I would say the rioters in Ferguson and Baltimore were better examples of gang terrorism. This is just some people getting drunk and acting stupid and we should let them learn from their mistakes. I highly doubt they are hardcore violent criminals.
Yah. From the URL in the OP:

"The incident happened in July of 2015, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported. Kayla Rae Norton, 25 and Jose Ismael Torres, 26, were part of a rally called ‘Respect the Flag.’

"Prosecutors called the event a drunken, two-county rampage with pickup trucks flying confederate battle flags.

"The convoy of trucks pulled up the birthday party for an eight-year-old child and the people started yelling racial slurs and threatened to kill people at the party, WSB reported. According to prosecutors, Torres pointed a shotgun at the party."

(My emphasis - from the URL)

So, in order to ‘Respect the Flag’ you need to get liquored up & oh, yah, don't forget your shotgun? Terrorizing children celebrating an eight-year-old's birthday party? Threatening to kill people @ a birthday party & pointing a shotgun @ them? If this crew in pickups did the same thing across two counties, then they committed several felonies. I don't think slapping them on the wrist would be anywhere near adequate.

But I'll admit that I'm puzzled - another post accused these two of being hillbillies, an ugly word. But José Ismael Torres hardly fits the bill - that's an Hispanic name. If he doesn't fall in with the skinheads in stir, maybe he can blend in with the 'manos?

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
13/6 years in prison respectively. The 28 years is both their sentences put together including their time on parole in addition to incarceration. Not unreasonable at all considering one of the common natural consequences of pulling a gun on people is death. Personally I would be absolutely fine with a mandatory 15 years for any commission of a felony while brandishing/threatening people with a fire arm.
I mean, geez, even that is still a lot. I feel like a 2-3 years would be a lot. I mean, yeah the assault part is bad, but still...

Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
From the perspective of a street mugger, my wallet should belong to him.
I know, crazy, eh?

If those in South Carolina believed the fort belonged to them, why didn't they go to court and sue for it?

The idea of telling the soldiers to stand back when they fired upon them and they wouldn't get hurt being mitigating circumstance is just ridiculous on the face of it.

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Those two got 20 and 15 year prison sentences for yelling slurs out the window of their truck. How many should you get for posting them on the internet?
The convoy of trucks pulled up the birthday party for an eight-year-old child and the people started yelling racial slurs and threatened to kill people at the party, WSB reported. According to prosecutors, Torres pointed a shotgun at the party.
Norton and Torres were among more than a dozen charged out of the incident. They were charged under the state’s street-gang terrorism law, WAGA reported.

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The people at the party provided the court with the evidence. There was video. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. But it's interesting how you make assertion after assertion without any evidence....
Assertion after assertion?

I'm just asking questions. It seems to me that this "evidence" is very questionable.

Who takes video of someone who is pointing a gun in their face?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And yet it's fact, every single time. Maybe you should think about that.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I haven't heard you objecting to racial discrimination against whites in affirmative action programs.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The incident happened in July of 2015, sixteen months before Trump's election, and long before his campaign became prominent. The outcome of the election is not cited as a factor anywhere in the linked story.

Stop simplifying and stereotyping and GROW UP! I expected somewhat less-juvenile behavior from a long-time regular, but usually-logical adversary, but apparently the infantilism over there in LeftyLand is contagious.
Oh, ouch....OP gets caught trying to turn some real news into fake news for extra effect.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I haven't heard you objecting to racial discrimination against whites in affirmative action programs.
No, you haven't. But I sure have seen your posts. What's your excuse?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
The convoy of trucks pulled up the birthday party for an eight-year-old child and the people started yelling racial slurs and threatened to kill people at the party, WSB reported. According to prosecutors, Torres pointed a shotgun at the party.
Norton and Torres were among more than a dozen charged out of the incident. They were charged under the state’s street-gang terrorism law, WAGA reported.
"Street gang terrorism law."

That right there shows you that the charges were absurd and excessive.

A spontaneous rally -- in response to a hateful campaign by liberals to put southern heritage down by demanding the removal of the Confederate flag from all public places -- equals a "street gang".

Right.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-28-2017 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies