Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:40 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times

Advertisements

Being in a state put's you under the jurisdiction of it's laws, that's the very nature of the state. The state just is, maaan. You must escape the state.

Maybe you could start a place like this Rapture | BioShock Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
I knew I shouldn't have clicked because I'd just see the same old arguments....but here I am.

It comes down to this - if someone takes something that belongs to you without your consent, it's theft. So, the only way to argue that taxation isn't theft is to argue that everybody consents to it.

So....the problem is that every argument I see where people say "you consent to taxation" would NEVER be used for anyone but the government. Replace the government with anyone else and people would just laugh. Making a special moral exception for the government is called "special pleading" - a logical fallacy.

The only reasons to deny that it's theft are A) you haven't put much thought into it, or B) you're afraid of the implications of it, so your emotions cloud things. Objectively, it's theft, but that makes people uncomfortable...and I think it should.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:44 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Your Constitution gives the Federal Government the right to tax you.

The US is not a democracy. You get to elect people who decide,in theory, what's best for the country which may or may not be what you consider best for you.

We are all free to renounce our citizenships and seek freedom elsewhere.
Not my constitution, I didn't vote for it.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I knew I shouldn't have clicked because I'd just see the same old arguments....but here I am.

It comes down to this - if someone takes something that belongs to you without your consent, it's theft. So, the only way to argue that taxation isn't theft is to argue that everybody consents to it.

So....the problem is that every argument I see where people say "you consent to taxation" would NEVER be used for anyone but the government. Replace the government with anyone else and people would just laugh. Making a special moral exception for the government is called "special pleading" - a logical fallacy.

The only reasons to deny that it's theft are A) you haven't put much thought into it, or B) you're afraid of the implications of it, so your emotions cloud things. Objectively, it's theft, but that makes people uncomfortable...and I think it should.
Great. Leave all the heavy lifting to me.

But well said.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Being in a state put's you under the jurisdiction of it's laws, that's the very nature of the state. The state just is, maaan. You must escape the state.

Maybe you could start a place like this Rapture | BioShock Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia.
Do you give me the $20 for clearing your drive or not?

Remember, I have a gun pointed at your head and may or may not use it.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:11 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So the military is protecting me?

I would say it's doing more to endanger my life than protect me but let's say you're right. The military is providing a service for me.

Again, logical consistency time.

I decide to shovel all the driveways on your street to make some money. Snows overnight, I clear your drive, knock on your door and say "I shoveled your drive so give me $20".

Do you pay me? I provided a service over a geographic area I decided to work in.
I never consented to your service.
Quote:
* Also, I have a gun and if you say no I may fine/cage/or kill you
Unless I consented, then you have no right to force me to provide funds. If I consented, then decide after that I don't want to pay you, you're within your rights to extract the payment.

That's a bad analogy anyways. A better one is a party with a cover charge of $50. If I enter your party and you then inform me that I must pay $50 to stay, then I have the choice to either leave or pay. Same as you and taxes, don't want to pay? Then leave.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:12 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
That theft, man. That theft. I still think the only viable solution to stop the state from stealing from you is escaping the grasp of the state. That state, man. That state.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:13 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
All that is certain in existence is death and taxes.

Government takes your money, God takes your life.

Thieves, both of them...

Old 02-28-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I never consented to your service.

Unless I consented, then you have no right to force me to provide funds. If I consented, then decide after that I don't want to pay you, you're within your rights to extract the payment.

That's a bad analogy anyways. A better one is a party with a cover charge of $50. If I enter your party and you then inform me that I must pay $50 to stay, then I have the choice to either leave or pay. Same as you and taxes, don't want to pay? Then leave.
I never consented to the government's services either.

You can't leave the country without paying exit fees.

Sorry. Try again.

Also, private property is different. It is an extension of self-ownership. I'm on your property at the party. You can kick me out at any time.

Try again.

You'll find there's no way to be logically consistent unless you embrace the following two principles:

1. The non-aggression principle. Don't initiate force.
2. Respect for private property rights which is an extension of self-ownership and upholding principle #1 (NAP).

Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
That theft, man. That theft. I still think the only viable solution to stop the state from stealing from you is escaping the grasp of the state. That state, man. That state.
Great response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies