Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 12:22 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,316,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree with the premise that the Trayvon Martin shooting and the politicization of that event, hallmarked by Obama's quote, "If I had a son, he would have looked like Trayvon.", was a watershed in the deterioration of race relations in this current era.

In fact, I would say it may go down as Obama's biggest gaffe. I don't believe it was calculated, I don't think Obama's reaction to the case was that devious. I think he really wanted to simply highlight the issue of unarmed deaths of black men, but the case was handled very poorly. A popular trial was carried out by the media as "facts" came in whether ultimately discredited or confirmed, and the press was complicit in a rather hamfisted game of favorites with the infamous "White Hispanic" label and the near exclusive use of a picture of a 12 year old Trayvon in a fuzzy, baby-blue hoodie as his more recent photos were... unflattering in light of the case.

I do believe that Zimmerman created the situation. Even if he were in fear for his life, he instigated the confrontation by all accounts. If he were really concerned that Trayvon was up to no good, he should have called the police.

But what we got from the whole debacle was a dead young man who was ostensibly not looking for trouble, a representative for self-defense, Zimmerman, who has proven to be an unstable loser, and a new era of identity politics which confers the label of "racist" on anyone who does not stick to a strict narrative that decides who is innocent (minorities) and who is guilty (oppressors) before a crime is even committed.
Very good post. I also believe it was the birth of the black lives matter movement and all the riots and so called protests that helped pave the way for trump. Michael brown, the Ferguson, baltimore,charlotte riots etc. all paved the way for the backlash.

Its crazy that some people think obama was a success for democrats,
During Obama's eight years in office, the Democrats lost more House, Senate, state legislative and governors seats than under any other president, plus now the presidency and scotus for a generation

The Democrats are in the worst shape they have been in 100 years and they still wont say why out of political correctness and inability to talk about how the far left and stuff like blm and obama ruined the partys chances

Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 PM

29,453 posts, read 16,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Very good post. I also believe it was the birth of the black lives matter movement and all the riots and so called protests that helped pave the way for trump. Michael brown, the Ferguson, baltimore,charlotte riots etc. all paved the way for the backlash.

Its crazy that some people think obama was a success for democrats,
During Obama's eight years in office, the Democrats lost more House, Senate, state legislative and governors seats than under any other president, plus now the presidency and scotus for a generation

The Democrats are in the worst shape they have been in 100 years and they still wont say why out of political correctness and inability to talk about how the far left and stuff like blm and obama ruined the partys chances
Blaming Obama doesnt make sense by your own standards. When President Obama was on the ballot, Democrats gained seats in the House Senate,and state legislature

The years where Democrats lost were 2010 and 2014, when he wasnt on the ballot. You cant say "he" was the problem.

The better answer is that his operation and the DNC were far to separate.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:39 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,506,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Blaming Obama doesnt make sense by your own standards. When President Obama was on the ballot, Democrats gained seats in the House Senate,and state legislature

The years where Democrats lost were 2010 and 2014, when he wasnt on the ballot. You cant say "he" was the problem.

His support was due to a cult of personality.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:45 PM

7,302 posts, read 3,378,610 times
The OP is correct.

However, I think that the Martin incident was the beginning of the end because the media and the DOJ went all in on a false narrative, the essential element of which they soon repeated for the Michael Brown case, which was dependent on lying by omission.

The facts of either case were blatantly different than what were given in media propaganda. These facts were also easily accessible, if not through online non-MSM news sites then through reading the trial materials and, today, even on the Wikipedia pages.

The media and the left showed itself, to a large contingent of the population, as willing to pervert the law and prosecute innocent individuals for social justice causes. There is no justice without the law, and every moral person knows this.

The law, in actuality, did its job in declaring Zimmerman and Wilson innocent. Who continued to stand out were and are the MSM and the rest of the left as amoral zealots who have a sophisticated lying machine, in the MSM, to do their bidding.

In fact, when both cases went down, I was in disbelief that the greater Left would seemingly blindly let themselves be soiled with the false narrative of both cases. It was and is political suicide. If things ever heat up further than where they are now, both of these cases will continue to be used as immensely famous examples of the Left's moral and ethical bankruptcy as well as their disregard for actual justice in favor of self interest.

This will all come back to haunt them, as it did in the 2016 presidential election, and will continue to do. It was so silly that it almost seemed to be an intentional trap for the Left. These cases will haunt them, perhaps, for decades to come.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:23 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,077,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
He'd hardly be the first black guy to kill another black guy.
He's hardly a black guy. Read: he ISN'T a black guy at all.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,782,031 times
Zimmerman somewhat instigated the incident with Martin imo... whereas Wilson didn't with Brown. Wilson was a cop responding to a call and Brown went aggressive when confronted. They're totally different.

Now the lefties of course tried to use both of these cases to try and prove something but the only one where they have any traction is the Martin case and it's limited at best.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:01 PM

37,084 posts, read 42,066,642 times
It was definitely a tipping point, and an orchestrated one at that. I just have to wonder if the architects of it all still think they did the right thing.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:21 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,436,229 times
Isn't it funny? Many people think democrats actually lost for not integrating Bernie's people and ideas, for not appointing minorities to high positions and not fully embracing BLM.
Yes, so many reached the opposite conclusions to the OP...

Old 03-01-2017, 11:53 PM

66 posts, read 39,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Isn't it funny? Many people think democrats actually lost for not integrating Bernie's people and ideas, for not appointing minorities to high positions and not fully embracing BLM.
Yes, so many reached the opposite conclusions to the OP...
I don't know what you mean - Hillary had black mothers of those killed by the police (including Mike Brown's mom) up on stage with her at the DNC, under a big "social justice" banner. But it's also not difficult to see how the divisive tactics of blm, and the social justice element of the left in general pushed people to the right. For example, I argued with my fellow liberals about the Mike Brown shooting, saying we should wait for the evidence to come in and that it could turn out that the cop was justified. I was called a right winger, on the wrong side of history, a racist, etc. And they looked at me like I was Sean Hannity. And unsurprisingly, Sean Hannity said similar things about the Mike Brown shooting. Well that was probably the first time I agreed with Hannity on anything. But it was an incredibly divisive issue where the right wingers turned out to be right. And all the left could muster up were dishonest arguments that amounted to calling everyone racist. They dug their grave.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,316,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

His operation may have been a big part of the loss, he certainly moved the party far to the left and was the most catastropic presidency for the Democrats in their history when you look at the loss of power.

A net loss of 1,042 state and federal Democratic posts, including congressional and state legislative seats, governorships and the presidency.

Back in September, Obama declared that his “legacy’s on the ballot.”

The change in Democrats in positions of power has been devastating since since 2008. The Senate is down 10.2%. The House is down 19.3%. The Legislatures are down 20.3%. And Governors are down an enormous 35.7%.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies