Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:22 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellow26 View Post
Since there has been some publicity around the shooting recently, given that the 5 year anniversary was a couple days ago, it got me thinking - that incident was really the beginning of the end for the left. Instead of fighting against climate change, wealth inequality, the war on drugs, and things that most rational people could get on board with, the left (and I consider myself on the left) took a turn towards identity politics with incredibly divisive incidents that were sloppily reported on to create a narrative - a narrative that there's an epidemic of black people being murdered by white people and police officers.

This narrative is and was false when looking at the larger picture and statistics. It was driven purely by anecdotes. And yet anybody who pointed this out was called a racist, on the wrong side of history, etc. This identity politic/blm/social justice way of looking at the world does not stand up to critical thought. And so smart, skeptical people found themselves supposedly on the "wrong side of history." I myself was called a right winger for pointing these things out. And to me, this made it clear that the left was in trouble. I don't think it's a coincidence that Trump is now president...anyone agree?

This is the most Preposterous statement that I've ever heard in a long time. The left will be here more commonly called "the liberals" for the next (240)two hundred and forty years , and there's another factor for you to ponder , wasn't lefties here in 1776?!?!?!?

Trayvon Martin was the 17 year old "man" and Zimmerboy was the 28 year old "boy" whom TM asked " why are you chasing me" which a immature incompetent GZ did not answer ( as the neighbor ---hood coordinator and captain) of a neighborhood watch. The Arrogant George Zimmerman refused to give Trayvon an answer at which time a fight ensued which was not a fair fight a 200lb plus man with a pistol against a unarmed 159lbs boy "Man", which lucky for zimmerboy happened to happen in Florida instead of California , because the verdict would have been totally different.....here in the Golden State....

Old 03-10-2017, 06:21 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Art imitates life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRSm_SJP58

Old 05-22-2017, 12:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
I think we can all agree that Martin was an idiot and Darwin's Law caught up with him.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:31 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think we can all agree that Martin was an idiot and Darwin's Law caught up with him.
Martin was a kid. Zimmerman is the assault on the gene pool.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:34 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Well, he got his BS in Aeronautics. So there! cough cough...

Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellow26 View Post
Since there has been some publicity around the shooting recently, given that the 5 year anniversary was a couple days ago, it got me thinking - that incident was really the beginning of the end for the left. Instead of fighting against climate change, wealth inequality, the war on drugs, and things that most rational people could get on board with, the left (and I consider myself on the left) took a turn towards identity politics with incredibly divisive incidents that were sloppily reported on to create a narrative - a narrative that there's an epidemic of black people being murdered by white people and police officers.

This narrative is and was false when looking at the larger picture and statistics. It was driven purely by anecdotes. And yet anybody who pointed this out was called a racist, on the wrong side of history, etc. This identity politic/blm/social justice way of looking at the world does not stand up to critical thought. And so smart, skeptical people found themselves supposedly on the "wrong side of history." I myself was called a right winger for pointing these things out. And to me, this made it clear that the left was in trouble. I don't think it's a coincidence that Trump is now president...anyone agree?
And to add to your post... Zimmmerman, the one who went on trial and was found not to be guilty, was labeled by the left as a white person, only to blame it on a white versus black issue.

Zimmerman himself identified himself as a Hispanic person but that didn't fit the left nor the Presidents narrative.

It is so sad that race became such an issue as it had nothing to do with what really occurred.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:15 AM

16 posts, read 14,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Wait wait wait. Lemme get some space on the soapbox for a second and then I'll chill.

I have to agree with the OP on this one. The Trayvon Martin case was the one that started the avalanche. One major difference between this case and the rest of the cases (Brown, McDonald, Sterling, etc.) is that this one was actually racist. Zimmerman was not a cop, so he had no business running up on folks in the dark profiling them. Run up on me in the street at night and see what happens to you. No matter how y'all try to justify it, I've still never heard (to this day) logical reasoning behind Zimmerman getting out of the car. It's really hard to whoop someone's ass through a car window. It's really hard to pull someone through a car window and bash his head on the sidewalk. It's really hard to mount someone UFC-style while they're sitting in the seat of a car. I'd just like to point that out. I think y'all get the point.

Black folks felt like there was an injustice with Zimmerman getting off 9and rightfully so); hence, every other similar case afterward was blown out of proportion (wrongfully so). Brown, McDonald, Sterling, etc. were all criminals. Martin did nothing wrong and was harassed by some wannabe vigilante that couldn't make it on the police force. Judging on Zimmerman's violent track record, it's really no mystery why he wasn't accepted. I think the Trayvon Martin case and the rest are unfair comparisons in my opinion. But I digress. Y'all have a nice day.
This is a good post. Unfortunately some people cannot take things on a case by case basis and are only interested in ideology. Sad.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:20 AM

16 posts, read 14,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Just keep in mind that if you assault someone who is following you, you could end up in jail or the morgue.

If those are worth you not being disrespected by being followed, I guess that is the risk you'll take.

BTW, Zimmerman had a very good reason for following Martin.
First off, there were no witnesses who could definitively state who started the altercation and given Zimmerman's statement regarding the situation, it very well could have been him who put TM in a position where he felt that he needed to defend himself. In the end TM is dead so there is little that can be said on his part. What is clear is that GZ made TM so nervous that he called his girlfriend to tell her about it. I'm a lawful gun owner but I would not put myself in a position where I would have to shoot someone because of a situation that I created. Such a line of logic creates a world whereby any of us could kill anyone simply by antagonizing them enough to start an altercation that we could then finish by shooting them. This is not how neighborhood watch associations are supposed to act. I don't agree with how latter cases of police violence have been blown out proportion precisely because of how it affects the perception of the TM case.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:27 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unak78 View Post
First off, there were no witnesses who could definitively state who started the altercation and given Zimmerman's statement regarding the situation, it very well could have been him who put TM in a position where he felt that he needed to defend himself. In the end TM is dead so there is little that can be said on his part. What is clear is that GZ made TM so nervous that he called his girlfriend to tell her about it. I'm a lawful gun owner but I would not put myself in a position where I would have to shoot someone because of a situation that I created. Such a line of logic creates a world whereby any of us could kill anyone simply by antagonizing them enough to start an altercation that we could then finish by shooting them. This is not how neighborhood watch associations are supposed to act. I don't agree with how latter cases of police violence have been blown out proportion precisely because of how it affects the perception of the TM case.
First, I was responding to a person who said they would assault a person following him.

Second, the timeline clearly showed that Martin had plenty of time to return to the residence.

Correct, we don't know who started the actual physical confrontation.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:49 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unak78 View Post
Well, sometimes neighborhoods are pushed to the limits. I was in a small store when some dude grabbed a case of beer and ran out. The store owner pulled out and emptied a revolver at the guy then went on a rant about how the cops, when called, do nothing and he was going broke because of the thievery. Doesn't make it right but I saw how hopeless this man and woman had become. Needless to say I never stopped at that store again. Mostly because the whole area is seriously ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies