Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 11:00 PM

37,730 posts, read 40,772,892 times

Advertisements

I have another question along the lines of the virginal Democrat women at the speech. Please forgive me for not being up on these trends. There was someone in the audience wearing a button (like a political button) with a big question mark on it, no writing. The camera person made sure we saw it so obviously the camera person knew. Was she:

a. Showing support for The Riddler on Batman.
b. Trying to make some transgender statement.
c. Thinking she was at a White House press conference and wanted to make sure she got called on for her question.

Seriously, if you know what it means, tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 11:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,716,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
On healthcare: there is one key question: once the very affordable miraculous replacement plan is implemented (you know, the one that covers pre-existing stuff, but also let's you sign up after you get cancer) who is actually going to make LESS. Insurance? That can't be, they are losing money, right, lol? Hospitals? Ok, how? Doctors, how? There was one thing in the whole speech that can actually reduce the cost (nope, not the HSA, tort reform or insurance across state lines) - drug cost control. But I don't really think republicans know how to do it. If they do, I'll take this back (for now, just a hint - it starts with "government").
This is a huge problem with any and all healthcare options whether ObamaCare, leaving it up to the states to decide, selling insurance over state lines, HSA plans or state high risk pools. They all don't have cost controls to make it affordable. Why, too many lobbies where insurance agencies, hospitals, nurses, drug manufactures, etc.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:01 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,890,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Not from your previous link. You are changing your story again. Your previous link stated only 41 countries offer maternal leave, not all have parental leave either.
No, you dont read. Those 41 countries are the 41 developed countries. They didnt include the third world countries, but they have it as well, except Papua New Guinea and America, as you would know if you actually read the articles but you dont seem to bother.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,073,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Apparently Van Jones (on CNN) said that Trump became President tonight and that those who don't like him should be very worried .. for the next 8 years!

Wonder of wonders .. miracle of miracles.
I know...His closing line was "If This dude ( Pres. Trump) keeps going like tonight he could be shooting three pointers....And then we really have to worry"

So much for a back handed compliment....But, from Van....That was high praise. lol

Old 02-28-2017, 11:04 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,650,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No, you dont read. Those 41 countries are the 41 developed countries. They didnt include the third world countries, but they have it as well, except Papua New Guinea and America, as you would know if you actually read the articles but you dont seem to bother.
Singapore doesn't offer. See my previous post.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,823,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Isn't that what the Dem and Repub elites have now? From what I've seen when I've traveled, people in single payer countries do work! Why would they not? Leisure class??? Because they can afford health care?

Everyone except the elites on both extremes will still work because they need to. They need food, homes, cars, clothing. Easy peasy. They will be free to try different jobs because they won't risk losing health insurance by changing jobs.
I've never seen so many seniors working as I have in the past several years. A lot of people think once you turn 65, health care is free, but of course that's untrue and some people are hanging on by a thread.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:06 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,890,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Singapore doesn't offer. See my previous post.
Not true. They have 16 weeks of 100% pay for the mother and 2 weeks of 100% pay for the father.
Quote:
16 weeks 100% (Singaporean citizen) or 12 weeks 67% (non-Singaporean citizen)[74] 1 week of 100% Government-Paid Paternity Leave for fathers. 1 week of 100% Government-Paid Shared Parental Leave to allow fathers to share 1 week of the working mother’s maternity leave entitlement.[75]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_leave

Whats so great about being in the same group as Papua New Guinea when it comes to worker's rights? I dont get it. Isnt the whole point of this America first policy to NOT be like third world hellholes?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:07 PM

21,385 posts, read 10,430,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Once the bar is low enough, mediocre sounds almost impressive. He knows that technique.
Ha! That's what you guys and the media get for setting that bar so low.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,489,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well then resent and cry and gnash your teeth for 8 years.
LOL...that's original.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,650,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Isn't that what the Dem and Repub elites have now? From what I've seen when I've traveled, people in single payer countries do work! Why would they not? Leisure class??? Because they can afford health care?

Everyone except the elites on both extremes will still work because they need to. They need food, homes, cars, clothing. Easy peasy. They will be free to try different jobs because they won't risk losing health insurance by changing jobs.
Because they have free healthcare. My SIL barely works, she is not rich, has not bought any new clothes(that's how poor she is) since her divorce 10 years ago, yet she doesn't work more than 1 day. If she is in America, she might have to work when she was younger than 65.
There is another trend, people in UK/Europe don't get married anymore, they just have children out of wedlock. When the safety net is good, why bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies