Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:44 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yeah, Obama did not get that.
Maybe what Obama and more than a few others "get" is that the business of America is business. Accordingly, who is surprised those running those businesses are going to profit no matter what? The question is how to insure that those profits also benefit the poor and working class that make up that economy as well. I could list some of those ways as I already have many times but why bother?

Somebody give me a reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I think of Dems passing Laws that are punitive to the law abiding and having no effect on crimianls that have no regard for any Law anyway.
Is this one of those "where there's smoke there's gun fire" comments?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
You know, I know this is what many are feeling, even I saw a difference, but he had a speech written for him and used a Teleprompter. It was very controlled and he was undoubtedly instructed to behave appropriately, since this was not a rally, but surely if he were back in front of his fans, he would be acting as he always has. He is not going to just turn into a better person, though he does appear to have a dual, if not multiple, personalities...(is a Gemini, afterall).

It occurred to me, that if I had not had any prior knowledge of him before hearing this speech, I would have thought he did not sound terrible, though not entirely believable. But, like many, I am aware of so much already, so I know better.
Funny, don't you think, how much attention we all give the quality of a speech, whether it was Obama then or Trump now, as compared to what actually is done (or not done) that really makes the difference?

"Actions speak louder than words" I think is the appropriate saying here...

Thing is though, about a speech, it points in a direction, and when it comes to that direction, I always felt Obama had a better vision on how to make America better rather than Trump's vision to make America great again. At least I was clearer about what Obama meant than I am about what Trump means in those regards...

Old 03-03-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's hilarious. You're talking about Dems having no regard for the law when Flynn was forced to resign because of the Russian scandal, Kellyanne Conway is being investigated for ethical violations after plugging Ivanka Trump's business, and Jeff Sessions had to recuse himself from the investigation for perjuring himself about contacting the Russian and may also have to resign? Trump has barely begun his term in office. What were you saying again?
Or maybe some people are more interested in what people are actually doing rather than who says what in any given speech?

I suspect we all share the concerns that lots of these investigations are politically driven, but we're better off and should be thankful that both sides are hungry to expose the negatives of the other, even if not altogether fairly, or we'd not know even the little we do about the wrong-doing going on around us all the time. However, most of these wrong-doings mentioned here are only distractions from the overall wrong doing that Trump seems intent on continuing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_expenditures

America needs to spend more, build more, enlist more...?

Like the richest 1 percent of Americans need more wealth maybe...

Old 03-03-2017, 12:17 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's hilarious. You're talking about Dems having no regard for the law when Flynn was forced to resign because of the Russian scandal, Kellyanne Conway is being investigated for ethical violations after plugging Ivanka Trump's business, and Jeff Sessions had to recuse himself from the investigation for perjuring himself about contacting the Russian and may also have to resign? Trump has barely begun his term in office. What were you saying again?
Flynn did nothing wrong because there is no Russian scandal, Kellyanne Conway can plug whatever the hell she wants and a bunch of idiots can investigate their prostates for all we care, and Jeff Sessions recused himself because he wanted to, the idiots have got nothing on him period.

Y'all lost again, again, and again.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Rather than post a long comment, I suggest anyone who is interested in hearing a good response to the 2/28/17 speech watch this video of Bernie Sanders. He points out what wasn't even mentioned, like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid or the high cost of prescription drugs. Trump also didn't mention anything about lowering the cost of college tuition or reducing student debt.

[youtube]kZusiauFUZA[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZusiauFUZA[/url]

Old 03-03-2017, 03:05 PM

381 posts, read 177,234 times
I thought President Trump did a good job and was presidential. I heard one colleague say she thought it was a unifying speech, and I don't think she's a fan of him. It was interesting how he started the speech by condemning the incident in Kansas and other hate crimes when he was criticized for not issuing a statement previously. I enjoyed the speech overall

Old 03-03-2017, 03:09 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
^^^ Bernie? Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Flynn did nothing wrong because there is no Russian scandal, Kellyanne Conway can plug whatever the hell she wants and a bunch of idiots can investigate their prostates for all we care, and Jeff Sessions recused himself because he wanted to, the idiots have got nothing on him period.

Let's also mention that Sessions didn't have to recuse himself. He should not have done so. Flynn also did not do anything wrong. They didn't want to be a distraction, plain and simple.

Kellyanne, informally, can tell us what she likes. Leave her alone. It was not a formal speech.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:25 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
You know, I know this is what many are feeling, even I saw a difference, but he had a speech written for him and used a Teleprompter. It was very controlled and he was undoubtedly instructed to behave appropriately, since this was not a rally, but surely if he were back in front of his fans, he would be acting as he always has. He is not going to just turn into a better person, though he does appear to have a dual, if not multiple, personalities...(is a Gemini, afterall).

It occurred to me, that if I had not had any prior knowledge of him before hearing this speech, I would have thought he did not sound terrible, though not entirely believable. But, like many, I am aware of so much already, so I know better.

Those familiar with him for decades see in him what you witnessed. Campaigning is a different story but fell in with the fed-up level of the People.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
We ALL sure did!

I mean there's my equal reply if we're just going to toss the bits of nonsense back and forth, again and again and again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies