Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:08 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Of course, this is only if we use civilization as a guide. All bets are off if we use BBQ jerky as the main attraction.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...t?int=news-rec
So, NY, which LOST a congressional seat is # 17 and SC which GAINED a seat is # 45.

NY has the 2nd HIGHEST number of people moving out compared to moving in.

2. New York

Emmie Martin/Business Insider
Total people moving in: 2543
Total people moving out: 4107
Net Flow: -1564
Percent of Moves Outbound: 61.8%

http://www.businessinsider.com/state...#3-illinois-16

What is wrong with this picture?

As usual, THEY chose the criteria based on what THEY think is important.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 03-02-2017 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Way to go New Jersey #14.
Loads of Americans are moving out of these 18 states11. New Jersey

Walter Hickey / BI
Total people moving in: 1548
Total people moving out: 2164
Net Flow: -616
Percent of Moves Outbound: 58.3%

US states people are moving from - Business Insider

Looks like most people who live their do NOT agree with your praise of the state.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:21 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Here's the 7 criteria on which states were ranked:

1. Health Care
2. Education
3. Crime
4. Infrastructure
5. Opportunity
6. Economy
7. Government

Some might quibble about the opportunity rankings since it accounts for gender and racial bias in opportunities for advancement, but overall it looks like a pretty good measure of both positive and negative factors for each state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Old 03-02-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Like work?I love NE in general and there is plenty for everyone to brag about but there is not a lot of work in Vermont .New Hampshire (lower) benefits from being close to Boston.
If these NE states and cities are so great what aren't people who retire moving there and current retirees moving OUT?

https://smartasset.com/retirement/wh...etirees-moving

Last edited by Quick Enough; 03-02-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 11:35 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If these NE states and cities are so great what aren't people who retire moving there?

https://smartasset.com/retirement/wh...etirees-moving
Because when people get old, they become sensitive to cold weather.

That's why number 1 has almost as many retirees as the other 9 combined.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Because when people get old, they become sensitive to cold weather.

That's why number 1 has almost as many retirees as the other 9 combined.
"Because when people get old, they become sensitive to cold weather."

I happen to live in one of those "move to sates" in the south and KNOW LOTS of retirees who have moved her from the NE.

MOST say the No.1 reason is they CAN'T AFFORD IT up there.

My neighbor moved from $12,000 a year in property taxes to $300 in taxes.

One of the other reasons given is they just don't LIKE cold anymore.

I have never heard that they are sensitive to it.

The saying goes, "I moved here because I don't have to "SHOVEL the SUNSHINE"!

Like I said, it all depends on the OPINIONS of the people who chose the "criteria".

Old 03-02-2017, 11:58 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
BS list

There is more opportunity in states loaded with uneducated people. The reason those states rank low is because of the people that live in those states, not because there is a lack of actual opportunity. Basically, those states are affordable to live in unlike high priced states that weed out poor people. Yes, there is more opportunity in Texas than there is in Massachusetts for the average person. A 4 year business degree with zero experience will land you a good job in San Antonio; however, a 4 year business degree in say Boston or Seattle with no experience will typically land you an entry level position.

Also, one of the biggest factors in a state being a nice place to live is climate. For that reason alone, states like NC, SC, CA, HI, TX, AZ, etc should be high on this list. Who the **** would want to live in North Dakota? LOL

Old 03-02-2017, 12:07 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Since some feel left out, I looked up the states with the highest teen pregnancy rates. So for all of you states that are in the 40's in the OP's list make the top 10 in my list! Something to be proud of, yes. You may also be in the top 10 for obesity, highest mortality rate, highest smoking rate, highest gun ownership rate, lowest graduation rates. So, stand proud and don't fret!

"...Among the states, New Mexico had the highest teen pregnancy rate, in 2010, with 80 pregnancies per 1,000 women in the age group, followed by Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma..."
So the whitest states rank the highest in everything good, and the least white states rank the highest in everything bad?

Looks like the jokes on you liberal bahahaha

Old 03-02-2017, 12:13 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
If ever there was a case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder this is it.

Some people love Vermont. Others dream of Florida. Personally, I like Kentucky and North Carolina. People can argue all day about which is better but they should be aware that it is an argument over red roses vs. white roses.
I agree--it is totally personal and subjective as to where you want to live.

But these particular rankings were done regarding objective subjects with a national survey, so the people who live in the state basically ranked them.

"...For the weighting of the Best States ranking, U.S. News wanted to use an objective measure reflecting the priorities of citizens for their state governments. McKinsey conducts a citizen experience survey on a fairly regular basis which asks Americans how satisfied they are with various state government services and where they think their state governments should focus resources.

The survey results were weighted to be representative of the country’s population across all ages, genders, ethnicities and household incomes..."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...es/methodology

Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Because when people get old, they become sensitive to cold weather."

I happen to live in one of those "move to sates" in the south and KNOW LOTS of retirees who have moved her from the NE.

MOST say the No.1 reason is they CAN'T AFFORD IT up there.

My neighbor moved from $12,000 a year in property taxes to $300 in taxes.

One of the other reasons given is they just don't LIKE cold anymore.

I have never heard that they are sensitive to it.

The saying goes, "I moved here because I don't have to "SHOVEL the SUNSHINE"!

Like I said, it all depends on the OPINIONS of the people who chose the "criteria".
Can't afford it because they're retired and no longer need to send their now grown kids to school. It's quite simple. People always attempt to make some huge point about how people move out of the Northeastern states, as if they suck, but in reality, people reap the benefits of living in such an area for much of their lives, by sending their kids to the superior public schools in NJ and MA for example, then leave it when they don't need those benefits anymore AND can't afford, or simply no longer want to, pay for those benefits any longer.

One doesn't need to pay the $12,000 tax bill (give or take) anymore on many homes in my town if their kids are out of school and they're about to retire. It's just no longer necessary. They also don't need to shovel snow as they get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies