Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I guess if they didn't have a medical background, they might interpret it as "not liking the cold anymore".

The reason they don't like it anymore is because their bodies do not compensate for it the way they used to. Blood vessel walls lose elasticity, the fat layer under the skin is thinner, and their basal metabolic rate is lower. This all makes cold temperatures more uncomfortable for them than it did when they were younger.
I'm not a doctor but I would also assume that the added risk of slipping and falling on ice, and possibly breaking bones adds to the elderly's general dislike for cold. Possibly more instability in walking/standing + weaker bones + ice = broken hip and expensive/inconvenient surgery. A healthy young person shoveling can suffer a heart attack, I wouldn't be surprised if an older person has a higher risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 03:31 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm not a doctor but I would also assume that the added risk of slipping and falling on ice, and possibly breaking bones adds to the elderly's general dislike for cold. Possibly more instability in walking/standing + weaker bones + ice = broken hip and expensive/inconvenient surgery. A healthy young person shoveling can suffer a heart attack, I wouldn't be surprised if an older person has a higher risk.
Truth. These northern states are not just very cold, they can get feet of snow and ice storms. Its dangerous just to step out the door. Driving is hazardous.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Truth. These northern states are not just very cold, they can get feet of snow and ice storms. Its dangerous just to step out the door. Driving is hazardous.
A bit dramatic. Most states know how to handle the weather quite well and life is merely inconvenienced for a day or two, most of the time, when it snows or is icy.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:25 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Ok Fl is like 24. Terrible. aful, hot, violent , bad schools, crime ,,, stop coming here !!!

Old 03-02-2017, 04:39 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
LOL Ok guys. I don't even know why they bother ranking and having systems used to determine the rankings, some people clearly know everything!

I don't know why so many people in Maryland send their kids to private school. Prestige? Because they can? In the NJ forum we almost always advise new posters against sending their kids to private school when the towns they're looking into have such great schools. It's a waste of money - unless you're very wealthy and can easily afford it. Most aren't.
Does Jersey have a good reputation?
The largest cities are Newark and Jersey City. Are these really places that people in Jersey are proud of?
From an outsider looking in, it appears Jersey isn't the proudest state in the union.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's fill Boston schools with poor children of illegal aliens where English is not spoken at home and both parents work two jobs and see what happens to the school rankings.
That has nothing to do with the Texas Board of Education messing with the standards, now does it?

Massachusetts actually does have plenty of ESL students. Boston actually has 30% English Language Learners. Overall, the state has about 8%. Massachusetts has a very comprehensive policy on educating these students. Interestingly, for most, that means an *immersion* environment with support.

In Texas, those schools with the highest ELL achievement spend significantly more general funds than other schools. Texas is significantly underfunding ELL education, and it shows.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Does Jersey have a good reputation?
The largest cities are Newark and Jersey City. Are these really places that people in Jersey are proud of?
From an outsider looking in, it appears Jersey isn't the proudest state in the union.
It doesn't have a good reputation because idiots listen to stereotypes perpetuated by the media and entertainment. Jersey City is becoming increasingly popular due to its proximity to NYC and because it's cheaper to live in than NYC, while still expensive, and has a decent bar scene. Newark is slowly improving but has a ways to go. It's still a city that a lot of residents work in and attend school in, as Rutgers has a campus there, including some grad programs.

The reality is that NJ has excellent public schools, access to good jobs, and a well educated and rather wealthy population (I think #2 in highest income behind MD). It's full of middle class and upper middle class towns with charming downtowns and old architecture, full of history, quiet and entertainment oriented beach towns alike, and has access to some beautiful nature in the western portion of the state. You can think what you want but you're probably ignorant like most others.

NJ residents tend to be very proud. The problem is that idiots outside don't think we have much to be proud of. That's everyone else's fault for not knowing what they're talking about.

You have nothing of substance to add so you try to attack my state. Nice tactic (not) but I'm used to it. Most people here are.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Unfortunately, the drunk, full of seafood and party scene metric does not help when we are trying to finance the largest economy in the world and create world-class jobs (based on education).....

But it sounds like fun if you can take the heat and humidity and don't live near a chemical plant.
If you think Texas and Louisiana don't contribute to the largest economy in the world, you're the one who needs to be educated. Where do you think your oil and gas comes from?

And I don't live close to a chemical plant, nor do I work in the oil and gas industry.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
I can't see why anyone would want to live in Massachusetts.

Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Same goes for New York, Connecticut and New Jersey.

I'd take the Midwest, the South, the Mountain States and West Coast over the above any day of the week.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:21 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
It doesn't have a good reputation because idiots listen to stereotypes perpetuated by the media and entertainment. Jersey City is becoming increasingly popular due to its proximity to NYC and because it's cheaper to live in than NYC, while still expensive, and has a decent bar scene. Newark is slowly improving but has a ways to go. It's still a city that a lot of residents work in and attend school in, as Rutgers has a campus there, including some grad programs.

The reality is that NJ has excellent public schools, access to good jobs, and a well educated and rather wealthy population (I think #2 in highest income behind MD). It's full of middle class and upper middle class towns with charming downtowns and old architecture, full of history, quiet and entertainment oriented beach towns alike, and has access to some beautiful nature in the western portion of the state. You can think what you want but you're probably ignorant like most others.

NJ residents tend to be very proud. The problem is that idiots outside don't think we have much to be proud of. That's everyone else's fault for not knowing what they're talking about.

You have nothing of substance to add so you try to attack my state. Nice tactic (not) but I'm used to it. Most people here are.
Don't take it personally. I've always lived in the states that people from Jersey end up moving to, so the people I meet from there aren't the loud and proud types.

Jersey's geography puts it in a prime spot to be a beneficiary of New York's wealth which is greatly helping Jersey's ranking. The problem however with these state rankings, is it gives a snapshot in time, not the direction it's headed. Fact is more people are leaving the state despite its higher rankings. https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.co...ople_money.amp
Unfortunately this is unsustainable. When people leave a high tax state, the remaining tax burdon falls to those who are left. The only choices become reducing taxes and services that people have accustomed to (Greece for example) and sabotage your political career, raise taxes and drive even more people out of the state, or recruit business's and people from an even more expensive state (like NY).
While it's tempting to high five your politicians for achieving a high US News ranking, the fact is that's it's overlooking key indicators that are showing a negative direction that's much easier to fix now than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies