Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,759,449 times

Advertisements

The problem with these kinds of analyses is that the criteria are what appeals to a certain group of people. I lived in MA for many years. Yes the quality of life is good by many measures. At the same time it is terrible in other ways. When I moved up to VT it was like a breath of fresh air compared to the suffocating bureaucracy and political/cultural intolerance that is deeply embedded in MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:22 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,555,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The problem with these kinds of analyses is that the criteria are what appeals to a certain group of people. I lived in MA for many years. Yes the quality of life is good by many measures. At the same time it is terrible in other ways. When I moved up to VT it was like a breath of fresh air compared to the suffocating bureaucracy and political/cultural intolerance that is deeply embedded in MA.
Like work?I love NE in general and there is plenty for everyone to brag about but there is not a lot of work in Vermont .New Hampshire (lower) benefits from being close to Boston.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:25 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,170,465 times
Since some feel left out, I looked up the states with the highest teen pregnancy rates. So for all of you states that are in the 40's in the OP's list make the top 10 in my list! Something to be proud of, yes. You may also be in the top 10 for obesity, highest mortality rate, highest smoking rate, highest gun ownership rate, lowest graduation rates. So, stand proud and don't fret!

"...Among the states, New Mexico had the highest teen pregnancy rate, in 2010, with 80 pregnancies per 1,000 women in the age group, followed by Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma..."

Old 02-28-2017, 07:34 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,491,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Isn't MA one of the states that the CDC said had a huge spike in drug use in the past couple of years?
Our drug addicts still have better test scores than the general population of some states.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,218,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Harvard was founded to train priests and members of the clergy, not the common people.
Priests? At Harvard Divinity? what would John Adams think!

Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,610,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Certainly if you want to take the muffler off your motorcycle or own a larger arsenal then NH is going to feel "more free:.

There is no problem with these kinds of data. They are accurate within the civilization we live in. VT is a sparsely populated severe climate which is not indicative of most modern human civilization. As great as VT is, believe me when I say you want your brain surgery and medical research done in Boston.

The thing about data - infant mortality, obesity, education, life span, etc.....is that it doesn't have a column for "I felt free of the intolerance". That type of "data" would - if it were true, shorten life spans due to the stresses involved.

Not that I am saying you are wrong in your feelings. It's just that feelings are not data and if we want to measure up in the modern world (which is, Trump aside, GLOBAL), we need to use metrics that matter. Health, infant mortality, life span, quality of health care, income, education, etc. are some of the agreed upon measurements.

We can't make "new rules" and say "the number of Nascar tracks figures in".

On the other hand, the fact that states like MA have decrimed and legalized weed is a BIG step toward a more civilized and tolerant society so maybe you need to give some credit where due.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,610,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
followed by Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma..."
States like TX and LA were so blessed with natural resources...that to me it makes things so much worse that they are not at the top of the heap. In other words, never has so little been done with so much. Texas could afford to be at the top of the heap if they didn't spend all their energy trying to make things worse for most people who live there (they are terrible, for example, in percentage of people covered by health care).

But, hey, some Oil guys get to pay less in taxes and that is what they think Freedom is.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:51 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,170,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
States like TX and LA were so blessed with natural resources...that to me it makes things so much worse that they are not at the top of the heap. In other words, never has so little been done with so much. Texas could afford to be at the top of the heap if they didn't spend all their energy trying to make things worse for most people who live there (they are terrible, for example, in percentage of people covered by health care).

But, hey, some Oil guys get to pay less in taxes and that is what they think Freedom is.
Absolutely, some of these states could be so much better. Loads of natural resources and in the richest country in the world. The top producing states do cost more but ya get what ya pay for...

My understanding is that Texas has extremely high property taxes and sales taxes. The sales taxes being regressive. I could be wrong. Don't feel like looking it up.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:52 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,078,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My dd lives in Massachusetts. While it is expensive, the benefits outweigh the COL (and no, she is not a highly paid person - both she and her dh work).
^ this is basically what I have to say about living on Long Island as well

Yeah, it's expensive but our high taxes give us excellent public schools and one of the lowest crime rates in the country. We get 4 distinct seasons too, each of which has their own beautiful aspects.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:56 PM

14,465 posts, read 11,233,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Priests? At Harvard Divinity? what would John Adams think!
Yeah the Catholics didn't start coming until quite a bit later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies