Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:46 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,858,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If he was going to announce something he knew would be controversial in the Senate, dragging victims' families in was tacky.
Your post is unintelligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 01:39 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,397,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
She could have stayed home that day which would also have prevented her death. Or simply gotten to the location a minute later.
You're referring to Kate Steinle, who was murdered by an illegal alien?

Whatever you're on, I'd like some!

Quote:
And your posts continue to display a lack of understanding of simple statistics.

What every citizen should care about is the probability that they or a loved one will be a murder victim.

Removing the illegal aliens will increase that probability.
No, it wouldn't.

Not unless you replaced them with people who commit a higher percentage of crime.

You claim that American citizens commit a higher percentage of crime than illegal aliens.

Even if that is true, we would not be adding citizens, we'd just be subtracting illegal aliens.

If this still remains unclear to you, I suggest taking a course in "Logic and Critical Thinking" at your local community college.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,226,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You're referring to Kate Steinle, who was murdered by an illegal alien?

Whatever you're on, I'd like some!

No, it wouldn't.

Not unless you replaced them with people who commit a higher percentage of crime.

You claim that American citizens commit a higher percentage of crime than illegal aliens.

Even if that is true, we would not be adding citizens, we'd just be subtracting illegal aliens.

If this still remains unclear to you, I suggest taking a course in "Logic and Critical Thinking" at your local community college.
Simply removing those with a lower violent crime rate increases the probability that a member of the remaining population will be a victims of a violent crime. You do not have to replace them to make that true. Simple numbers. The number of violent crimes may go down but the probability of being a victim goes up. Fact of life.

And of course the illegal aliens will be mostly replaced. Many of the jobs they do are simply required for society to continue. The beds must be made and the dishes washed. And those replacement workers will almost inevitably have a significantly higher violent crime rate.

This inability to understand the outcome of what you advocate tends to show how little thought there is in your positions. All emotion no logic.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,874,403 times
Quote:
Simply removing those with a lower violent crime rate increases the probability that a member of the remaining population will be a victims of a violent crime. You do not have to replace them to make that true. Simple numbers. The number of violent crimes may go down but the probability of being a victim goes up. Fact of life.

And of course the illegal aliens will be mostly replaced. Many of the jobs they do are simply required for society to continue. The beds must be made and the dishes washed. And those replacement workers will almost inevitably have a significantly higher violent crime rate.

This inability to understand the outcome of what you advocate tends to show how little thought there is in your positions. All emotion no logic.
These answer your ideas quite well I think...

“With enough mental gymnastics, just about any fact can become misshapen in favor to one's confirmation bias.”
― Criss Jami

“More data means more information, but it also means more false information.”
― Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Old 03-04-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
These answer your ideas quite well I think...

“With enough mental gymnastics, just about any fact can become misshapen in favor to one's confirmation bias.”
― Criss Jami

“More data means more information, but it also means more false information.”

― Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Your post indicates that there are always the uninformed who cannot deal with even the simplest of concepts.

Unless you are really brain dead stupid this stuff is all basic math. There is no trick. There is no "lying with statistics". This is basic simple stuff.

If you can't deal with it you need help with your education and should stay off this sort of discussion.

Sorry. But you are simply missing the most basic stuff.

I am a well trained engineer with decades of experience at this sort of stuff. But that is irrelevant. Any with a 10th grade education should be able to understand.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:27 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,444,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I actually cringed when I heard Trump bringing up VOICE (Trump being ultra unpolitically correct again) but you raise an excellent point. I for one, no longer trust the media, and not just the liberal media, to bring up the effects of illegal immigration in the United States.

It is not just crime statistics that are being ignored. Over the years, there has been practically zero coverage of the impact of illegal immigration on the low income job market, housing market or the costs to hospitals, prisons and education.

So if VOICE is what it takes to get information to the public, then I am for it.
What about the other VOICE? You know, Victims Of Immigration & Customs Enforcement.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Your post indicates that there are always the uninformed who cannot deal with even the simplest of concepts.

Unless you are really brain dead stupid this stuff is all basic math. There is no trick. There is no "lying with statistics". This is basic simple stuff.

If you can't deal with it you need help with your education and should stay off this sort of discussion.

Sorry. But you are simply missing the most basic stuff.

I am a well trained engineer with decades of experience at this sort of stuff. But that is irrelevant. Any with a 10th grade education should be able to understand.
“Be careful of averages and how they’re applied. One way that they can fool you is if the average combines samples from disparate populations. This can lead to absurd observations such as:
"On average, humans have one testicle.”
Daniel J. Levitin

Old 03-05-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
“Be careful of averages and how they’re applied. One way that they can fool you is if the average combines samples from disparate populations. This can lead to absurd observations such as:
"On average, humans have one testicle.”
Daniel J. Levitin
That is actually a little better. But they are not disparate populations. Disparate would be if the violent crimes committed by illegals were different from the violent crimes committed by citizens. They are not.

You continue grasping at straws. Face it. Even if you could simply remove the population of illegals the violent crime rate and the probability that a member of the remaining population would be a victim go up. Fact of life.

It is actually not a valid reason to deport or not. But it is one consideration. And it particularly refutes the argument that crime rates would improve with deportation.

The real argument against mass deportation is that it is simply hopelessly impractical to do. Cost billions and billions and take a decade with substantial economic dislocation. These people are embedded in the society and will become more and more difficult to remove as you get from the newer and loosely connected to those well embedded.

And practically there is no will in the population, the business community or the Congress to actually attempt the task. And there are vast practical blocks to doing things like tightening employer laws or changing the 14th amendment.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
That is actually a little better. But they are not disparate populations. Disparate would be if the violent crimes committed by illegals were different from the violent crimes committed by citizens. They are not.

You continue grasping at straws. Face it. Even if you could simply remove the population of illegals the violent crime rate and the probability that a member of the remaining population would be a victim go up. Fact of life.

It is actually not a valid reason to deport or not. But it is one consideration. And it particularly refutes the argument that crime rates would improve with deportation.

The real argument against mass deportation is that it is simply hopelessly impractical to do. Cost billions and billions and take a decade with substantial economic dislocation. These people are embedded in the society and will become more and more difficult to remove as you get from the newer and loosely connected to those well embedded.

And practically there is no will in the population, the business community or the Congress to actually attempt the task. And there are vast practical blocks to doing things like tightening employer laws or changing the 14th amendment.
On one thing we agree, that mass deportations are not practical. As many have said, all we have to do is make it so uncomfortable for employers of illegals to hire them they'd self deport as they couldn't find what they're rushing here to get which is $...

As for your stats, all I can say is they're skewed and I give you this as an example. A city I used to live in had an overall high crime rating due to statistics BUT it actually had very low crime. What gave it the high rating was the per capita crime and the fact that the population of the whole city was small. If you have a population of 10 and there's two or three crimes committed it's a "high crime area" according to the statistics.
Context is everything, not just raw stats taken at face value...

Old 03-06-2017, 08:19 AM

62,410 posts, read 28,679,488 times
Quote:
On one thing we agree, that mass deportations are not practical. As many have said, all we have to do is make it so uncomfortable for employers of illegals to hire them they'd self deport as they couldn't find what they're rushing here to get which is $...

As for your stats, all I can say is they're skewed and I give you this as an example. A city I used to live in had an overall high crime rating due to statistics BUT it actually had very low crime. What gave it the high rating was the per capita crime and the fact that the population of the whole city was small. If you have a population of 10 and there's two or three crimes committed it's a "high crime area" according to the statistics.
Context is everything, not just raw stats taken at face value...

The poster you are replying to doesn't want illegals to be deported no matter how it is done, voluntarily or involuntarily. Just a heads up. His arguments defending keeping illegal aliens in our midst are among the most bizarre I have ever read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies