Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
LOL, I thought the same thing cause this was not Trump. Maybe it was a clone like in the movie Dave.

I have seen THIS Trump many times before. While so many were scoffing and hooting and howling .. many of us watched him carefully. He was always capable of this and we knew it .. kept telling you - you just didn't see it.

As for speech writers .. you don't think Obama ever wrote any of his speeches do you?

Presidents may tell a writer the general outline of what they want to cover .. and they will usually help fine tune it, definitely approve it and practice it .. but it takes a village to put it together generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 09:26 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I have seen THIS Trump many times before. While so many were scoffing and hooting and howling .. many of us watched him carefully. He was always capable of this and we knew it .. kept telling you - you just didn't see it.

As for speech writers .. you don't think Obama ever wrote any of his speeches do you?

Presidents may tell a writer the general outline of what they want to cover .. and they will definitely approve it and practice it .. but it takes a village to put it together generally.
Perhaps you see his performance from the point of view of someone who already agrees with him.

I saw a guy trying to pretend he is reasonable but at the same time announcing "HYDRA", oops I mean VOICE.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:31 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post

Presidents may tell a writer the general outline of what they want to cover .. and they will usually help fine tune it, definitely approve it and practice it .. but it takes a village to put it together generally.
You say many times?? When was this. This was the most sedate speech he has ever given.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:17 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Retaking the senate could be difficult but hopefully they can if for no other reason than to break up the monopoly.

I may be close to bet that the republicans may actually slightly increase their majority in both houses in 2018....

Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
It was a good speech, but still - just a speech. Tomorrow morning he is going to wake up and have to go about the business of governing the country - making decisions, blasting out stupid tweets, giving felonious orders, lying to the press, throwing "his generals" under the bus, blaming Obama for everything under the sun, attacking other world leaders, etc. - and that's what he is going to be judged on. I don't expect things to be any different than they have been the last few weeks, and I don't understand why anyone else would.

He is what he is, and he will never be anything more, anything different, or anything better. Anyone who seriously believes he can cancel out every single thing about himself, and start all over from Square one, with just a 1-hour speech has to be a complete idiot. This means nothing, because every single step of the way he has lied about every single ting he was doing or planning to do. Screw him. Within a few days he is going to go back to being the same old Trump creature. Why would anyone in their right mind take seriously a single thing this ignorant, con-man buffoon says at this point? Every word he vomits out of his mouth is pure bull****. Is there really a single person who doubts that?

Old 03-01-2017, 01:52 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
he is unlikely to be impeached in the next 2 years without a smoking gun....

2018 the dems will in MY opinion retake the senate and impeachment will follow.

But I actually expect Trump to step down as soon as he can leave "winning".
Well, after tonight, retaking the senate will not be happening, and neither will 2020...so you won't have to worry about that.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:02 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Yep, the dems still think they can beat Trump.

I feel sorry for them, watching them fail and fail and fail.

Well, no, actually, I don't.

The latest bee in their bonnet is VOICE -- a website being set up at DHS where you can find out about all the violent illegal alien criminals that the lying liberal media won't talk about.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:31 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times
If Trump keeps a similar frame like in tonights speech instead of his outbursts on Twitter. It's going to hard for a Dem to beat him in 2020.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:37 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
he is unlikely to be impeached in the next 2 years without a smoking gun....

2018 the dems will in MY opinion retake the senate and impeachment will follow.

But I actually expect Trump to step down as soon as he can leave "winning".
And exactly what states do you have the GOP losing in 2018 to give the Dems the majority???

Old 03-01-2017, 05:54 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
For many, Trump's appeal is that he is going to be bringing back low-skilled, decent-paying jobs in factories and coal mines. Apparently, he will do this via via tax breaks, tariffs, and deportations.

Carrier is using their recent Trump/Pence tax breaks to automate and eliminate jobs. Any reason to believe other industries won't do the same? Corporate tax breaks are likely to accelerate job losses.

Remains to be seen whether tariffs will increase exports or decrease them. Typically tariff wars aren't economy builders.

Deportation of roofers, housekeepers, landscapers... may result in some low-skill job openings, but they certainly won't be decent-paying jobs and they are unlikely to be in Appalachia or the rust belt.
Trump may be able to convince Republicans to pony up some money in the budget for building the wall, maybe some bridges. But these will be short-term at best.

Trump is big on borrowing for his grand schemes. Not sure the Republicans are on board with this. After all, Republicans have been big on balanced budgets and bringing down the deficit, so it is difficult to imagine them on board with deficit spending, particularly with the the longest period of job and economic growth we are, hopefully, in the midst of.

It is hard to imagine those folks who are pining for well-paying jobs being any happier in two years than they are now.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-01-2017 at 06:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies