Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 03:30 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL. The conversation is about Democrats.

If you were sick and lived in a state with Medicaid expansion, you would be covered if you were low income. If not, you could have easily bought an Obamacare plan. IMO you probably lacked in self sufficiency.

It is always funny to me that conservatives speak ill of liberals and their whining and complaining when many of them like the above like to complain about government being the cause of their poor personal choices and decisions.

I know MANY people in Ohio who were literally dying or suffering from medical conditions who were allowed to join the Medicaid roles due to our GOP governor accepting the expansion under Obamacare. Also, regardles of Trump's lies, the same thing occurred in Kentucky to my south.

If ACA is repealed and that provision removed along with pre-existing conditions, not only will you not have Medicaid to fall back on but you also won't even be able to buy a crappy plan since you have been "very sick" and probably have a pre-existing condition.

This is the reason why I keep telling my Dem friends, they need to let the gOP repeal ACA. People will be dropped from Medicaid. Over 50% of Americans have some sort of pre-existing condition and they won't be able to get coverage. Most Americans made less than $55k per year and don't have any extra money to put in an HSA account and an HSA account of $5k won't cover maternity care or a car accident or cancer or chronic diseases that need constant treatment like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholestorol, etc.

Repealing ACA would be the best thing for the Dems to gain seats in 2018 an the presidency in 2020. But IMO they are too caring and concerned about "harming people" due to them being dropped from insurance programs versus caring about taking back control of a segment of the government. IMO that is their downfall. I think they are too kindhearted. It is also one of the reasons I'm not a Democrat or liberal. I care, but I don't care as much as a liberal does lol
Nailed it.

IMO Dems are too caring about the less fortunate. It makes them look like bleeding heart social workers and opens them up to constant criticism that only moochers vote for them because they want stuff.

In reality, the counties that voted Democrat in the last election provide 64% of the economic activity in the nation. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...utput-america/

Now while there may be a few of the less fortunate in these counties, given that the Republican-voting counties contribute only 36% of the economic activity, I suspect that it is the Republican counties that have the majority of the folks on disability, TANF, Food Stamps, subsidized housing, medicaid, etc. The red states are certainly the less wealthy states.

Why they vote against their own best interest is anybody's guess. Outlawing abortions? Who knows.

But for at least the next two years and maybe longer, they are going to get a good dose of Republican starting with the ACA replacement. Have to see how things work out when what Democrats have been advocating for year is gone by the wayside.

Meanwhile, Democrats should focus on the middle class. Tax cuts, labor laws... that's where they can do some good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 04:59 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Here's the liberal compassion at work: if you're poor, the government takes care of you. Otherwise you'll need to buy ACA: very expensive, high deductible, you can't keep your doctor. But hey, it's something. STOP WHINING ABOUT YOUR POOR CHOICE/DECISION TO BECOME SICK! STOP NOT BEING POOR! STOP BLAMING OBAMA AND THE DEMS FOR SCREWING UP OUR HEALTH CARE!

Yep, liberalism at its best. And they wonder why they're slowly being decimated across the union.
More people have healthcare now then before ACA.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:07 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
This thread is pretty rich considering how Republicans acted the last eight years. ....
Isn't it though?

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by Democrats going along with the Republicans. Why own any of the mess they're creating?

This morning Ryan bragged about coal companies being able to dump toxic wastes in the streams again.

Next they are going to reform ACA and dump a bunch off their health insurance.

I read where the Muslim travel ban has been postponed due to Trump's speech being so uplifting.

What has Trump being able to give a speech where he doesn't sound like a lunatic have to do with a travel ban that is supposedly desperately needed for public security?

Democrats would be foolish to sign on to this clown convention. Best to stand back and try not to get to get hit by a stray bullet from this circle firing squad that's forming.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
No. People hate dividers and the radical left and the RESIST movement will finish their party off.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:40 PM

772 posts, read 390,534 times
I have no faith in the Democratic Party.

They are still upset over their major political powers losses in 2016.

Like children who didn't get what they wanted, the Dems will continue to thrown temper tantrums concerning everything about the Trump Administration.

They are not a reflective political party and have no plan for America.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:35 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
More people have healthcare now then before ACA.
I can't dispute that. But my premiums and deductibles have went up by 300% compared to 2009. In other words, I am paying for those people.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
None of this is an issue if this had been done right to start with. If this had been done right to start with there is no President Trump.

That Obama, Reid and Pelosi completely screwed it up to make sure their corporate donors were happy (after all Pelosi is a hell of a fund raiser) this isn't happening.

I do NOT say that as a "Conservative", I say that as someone that wants UHC for all.
IMO thinking of "what ifs" is ridiculous. The past is in the past the present is right now. If the Dems sit back and let them get rid of ACA and watch people, especially poor conservatives get upset about it, that will be the best way IMO to get UHC.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:14 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Here's the liberal compassion at work: if you're poor, the government takes care of you. Otherwise you'll need to buy ACA: very expensive, high deductible, you can't keep your doctor. But hey, it's something. STOP WHINING ABOUT YOUR POOR CHOICE/DECISION TO BECOME SICK! STOP NOT BEING POOR! STOP BLAMING OBAMA AND THE DEMS FOR SCREWING UP OUR HEALTH CARE!

Yep, liberalism at its best. And they wonder why they're slowly being decimated across the union.
Quote:
I can't dispute that. But my premiums and deductibles have went up by 300% compared to 2009. In other words, I am paying for those people.
On this. I actually am not a liberal, I am an independent but do have some liberal leanings and one of them is that I want Universal Healthcare. I think letting Obamacare go and people losing coverage will be the catalyst for this to occur.

On you capitalized letters, not certain what that has to do with what I stated and of which you quoted. I stated I don't care as much as a liberal cares and that that is their downfall IMO. They are not strategizing and analyzing the situation.

I didn't mention anything about Obama either.

On your second post, please note that a huge majority of Americans have not had their premiums go up. Those of us who work have not had raises in prices like the ACA plans have had. My premiums have actually gone down by more than 50% since ACA started and my employers moved from those expensive HMO plans with co-pays to POS/HSA based plans with deductibles. I don't go to the doctor that much. I used to pay premium pre-ACA of about $800 a month. Today I pay about $200 a month for a family of 4. I know MANY people who are similar to my own family who have experienced similar decreases.

The reason why ACA plans are increasing is because of the pool of insureds constituting a high amount of sick people. When all the states didn't buy into those plans and the mandate was not made law of the land, that caused only those people who were sick to sign up for ACA. I've worked in buying HR benefits including health insurance plans and am very knowledgeable about those plans.

I don't know anyone personally who has an ACA plan. They either get insurance through work, military Tri-Care or VA, or through Medicaid or Medicare. A majority of Americans are covered via the above.

So it is easy for me, as someone who admittedly doesn't care as much as a liberal, to say, well tough luck to those of you who have no other options. You better go get a job that offers affordable health insurance!

But as stated above, one of my main liberal leans is the fact that I would like to see Universal Health care implemented. I think the Dems can come back if they took the route that Bernie Sanders did in that regard AFTER they allow the GOP to repeal ACA. UHC will also take the burden of healthcare off of employers and allow them to keep more profits and pay people in wages more instead of paying them in benefits. As stated, I have purchased health insurance in the past. When you pay that $100-$300 a month in premiums for your healthcare, your employer is usually paying an additional $200-$600 a month for you. Insurance is very expensive for businesses. I also think it would encourage small business growth to move that burden onto the public where IMO it should be.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:16 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Not in this lifetime.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
IMO thinking of "what ifs" is ridiculous. The past is in the past the present is right now. If the Dems sit back and let them get rid of ACA and watch people, especially poor conservatives get upset about it, that will be the best way IMO to get UHC.
We have to get rid of the ACA to ever get to UHC. If the GOP tosses it and it hurts them at the polls first we have to elect someone that will really back UHC, not another Obama or Clinton that wants to give away everything to fill their campaign coffers.

I understand that there likely will be people hurt over all of this. That is sad, but that also falls in the lap of those who screwed it up to start with along with those who don't replace it correctly.

Unless the (D)'s are willing to toss aside the Obama's, Clinton's, Pelosi's more will be hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies