Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Trump brought it up last night, will be interesting to hear more about his proposal.

Many, if not most, countries do some form of Merit Based Immigration. They require immigrants to have assets to live on if they are coming to retire. They usually are demanding on job skills-often requiring that immigrants both have skills that allow them to get jobs in this country, but more importantly job skills that are needed and not being filled by that countries citizens, so they don't take jobs away from their own citizens. Others look for those moving businesses to their country-either moving an existing business, starting a new branch.

Any of those are reasonable goals. Immigration shouldn't let your country become a dumping ground for every unskilled, uneducated or lazy bum that wants to leach off a welfare system. Immigration should be beneficial to the country that they are coming to. Many citizens have no problem with immigration-they have a problem with immigrants that are a drain on the taxpayer. I look forward to seeing what Trump's plan brings to the table.

One thing I think you can count on with a merit-based system...Democrats demanding ID to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Canada and Australia have very detailed rankings systems that determine whether or not you make the cut. I think it's a fabulous idea that we should roll out here in the US immediately.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Canada and Australia have very detailed rankings systems that determine whether or not you make the cut. I think it's a fabulous idea that we should roll out here in the US immediately.

Agreed. No more allowing the unskilled, uneducated and dirt poor into our country. End all this family reunification BS also. A merit system makes more sense.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Yep. Even many Central American countries do. Funny about all the liberals that said they would move to Canada if Trump won. Most wouldn't meet the immigration requirements.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM

With immigration being such a hot topic right now, and with the success of these programs in other countries, why isn't this being discussed more? It's a very bipartisan approach, yet I don't see much enthusiasm from the very pro-immigrant Dem side.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
I like this idea as well even though I am a liberal and an immigrant myself.

However, I think there should also be a quota for accepting those who have to flee their own country due to persecution, oppression, etc.

We can't turn our backs on these people when they have nowhere else to turn to. It won't be fair to our allies who will then have to shoulder the burden of accepting all unskilled immigrants. Besides, unskilled immigrants won't be that way forever...

Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
We already have that. They're also required to have a sponsor for five years who will pay for them if anything happens so they won't go on welfare.

It just needs to be enforced. We have the merit system already but the illegals were allowed to circumvent it. (Oh, I'm a liberal, what many of you love to hate.)

Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Merit based immigration is swamp speak for more H1b visas who will eventually be allowed to stay. We don't need more immigrants, we need better education.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Merit based immigration is swamp speak for more H1b visas who will eventually be allowed to stay. We don't need more immigrants, we need better education.
Hopefully we will start to see that with a shake-up of the education industry. It certainly has been a failure for the last few decades. Improving our educational system will be perhaps the toughest challenge Trump faces.

Thing is, it takes more than the industry upgrading-it takes students that have the smarts and work ethic to take on the difficult majors. We have lots of American citizens in liberal arts "basket weaver" classes in our colleges right now. In STEM? Not so much. The company I work for makes scientific equipment, primarily for universities and national labs. A large share of the professors and graduate students I deal with every day do not have English as their first language. But then again-doctorates in materials science, chemistry and physics aren't handed out like ones in art history or social work. Much more demanding fields to get into.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I like this idea as well even though I am a liberal and an immigrant myself.

However, I think there should also be a quota for accepting those who have to flee their own country due to persecution, oppression, etc.

We can't turn our backs on these people when they have nowhere else to turn to. It won't be fair to our allies who will then have to shoulder the burden of accepting all unskilled immigrants. Besides, unskilled immigrants won't be that way forever...
Ever fly on a plane and listen to the safety briefing about putting your own mask on first, before you assist others?

Yea. America needs a little more of that right now. Let's get our house in order and then go about saving the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies